Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #76 of 2,020
  Digital out should be a raw digital signal from the DAP to the external DAC for processing, so technically speaking any firmware or settings shouldn't have an effect?  That was my understanding anyway, but I could very well be wrong 
tongue.gif

Apparently not with DX50's FW releases where each firmware tend to have noticeable differences. They appear to use different version/build of audio libraries for each release which is enough to give different SQ impressions

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #77 of 2,020
  Apparently not with DX50's FW releases where each firmware tend to have noticeable differences. They appear to use different version/build of audio libraries for each release which is enough to give different SQ impressions

Ah, makes sense...good to know!  I guess it's just a matter of getting the coax out functional with RB if it isn't already 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #79 of 2,020
BTW is OTG working?

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #82 of 2,020
Questions for xzcc:

cf: http://www.head-fi.org/t/680472/dx50-bug-list-wish-list-fix/285#post_9806161

Have you tried the Rockchip CWM recovery images at androtab.info or were you rolling your own?

Do you have a method to unbrick DX50 if the recovery flash procedure fails?

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #83 of 2,020
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #84 of 2,020

My quick impression so far is Rockbox at default(all settings at 0dB) the response is ruler flat. It makes the orig FW a bit colored especially on the lows. If you like that you still can do so in Rockbox by tinkering on the EQ. I have not done a critical comparison yet. Just trying to listen to as much music with Rockbox first.

I don't know if I notice any change in soundstage, but I thought Rockbox appears to resolve more details especially the micro details, which is more obvious on a few classical songs I listened to so far.

EDIT: It just brings everything out from the recordings, even the minute nuisance. It's just raw. The orig FW sounds like overly smooth and trimmed.

You're not kidding there's more detail!  My feeling has always been that we've never heard what the DX50 really sounds like becuase the firmware has been such a complete mess. I don't know whether the culprit was bad codec/sound libraries, intentional DSP processing to create some kind of custom "house" sound, or something else entirely.  Whatever the problem was, it's gone with Rockbox.  There is more detail, the bass is now tight and punchy without being boosted or exaggerrated, and the soundstage finally sounds realistic and geninue.  Perhaps the soundstage was wider with the stock firmware, but to me, it always sounded bogus and artificial (like a DSP trick).  Now everything sounds complete and acurrate.

Many thanks again to xzcc.  I feel like I'm FINALLY getting my money's worth out of the DX50. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #85 of 2,020
  Digital out should be a raw digital signal from the DAP to the external DAC for processing, so technically speaking any firmware or settings shouldn't have an effect?  That was my understanding anyway, but I could very well be wrong 
tongue.gif

That's what I thought too...I thought my DAC was adding extra bass. :/

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #87 of 2,020

could anyone briefly explain the advantages (and disadvantages if exist) of rockbox?

I suggest browsing the Rockbox web site for an overview of what Rockbox is and why it exists.

The specific advantages regarding DX50 include, but are not limited to: working playlists, working ReplayGain, and possibly better battery life.

The specific disadvantages regarding DX50 are: um... er... I can't think of any. I don't think Rockbox plays DSD files but who does that inconvenience?
smily_headphones1.gif

Rockbox also offers a crossfeed option that improves the soundstage - Although the change isn't night and day, it's definitely audible on my Clip Zip and Grados.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #89 of 2,020
The major drawback of RockBox is that it downsamples hires files to 16/44 before playing them. Please dont start a debate on if that makes an audible difference, we are never going to agree on that subject :wink:

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #90 of 2,020
So, Rockboxed DX50 or X5, which has the better SQ ? :bigsmile_face:

What's hte new battery life with RB ?

(and what does Ibasso thinks of that ?)

Rockbox is transparent. DX50 hardware seems to be transparent or very close to it. FiiO's X5 player or hardware is not transparent. You be the judge from that.

Play time should be about the same as Mango, maybe a little better depending on flash I/O. Standby time (player on, paused) should be better but I haven't tried that, yet.

I'm told that iBasso has a strongly negative opinion about Rockbox. Probably because it's GPL and they would have to publish any changes they make and that could reveal information about the component part numbers they take pains to obscure. I'm guessing but I'll bet they're either really not happy about it (someone messing with our player? how dare they!) or ecstatic (look! more people will buy our stuff!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back