RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,161 of 5,991
Hello folks, just got home with my new adi-2 DAC! I love the sound, using my Jotunheim 2 amp with it and my Szalayi earphones....In any event, quick question, I notice the volume control changes the balanced output...is there a setting where I can set the output volume to fixed? I have the manual but I cannot find it....
I don't use the balanced output (ADI-2 headphone output is great in my opinion and drives my Aeon 2 Noire with plenty of headroom) but I do have the Line Out connected to my NAD D3045, which drives my speakers in my nearfield desktop setup. You have to set the volume to where you want it and then lock it. Volume Lock can be found in the I/O menu (see screenshots). You will see Vol Lock on the display as well (vol lock is applied only to Line Out in my case and volume control still works for Phones which makes for a super simple setup). Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20220831_212454.jpg
    20220831_212454.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220831_212401.jpg
    20220831_212401.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #5,162 of 5,991
I don't use the balanced output (ADI-2 headphone output is great in my opinion and drives my Aeon 2 Noire with plenty of headroom) but I do have the Line Out connected to my NAD D3045, which drives my speakers in my nearfield desktop setup. You have to set the volume to where you want it and then lock it. Volume Lock can be found in the I/O menu (see screenshots). You will see Vol Lock on the display as well (vol lock is applied only to Line Out in my case and volume control still works for Phones which makes for a super simple setup). Hope this helps.
Absolutley helps, thanks so much. Very impressed with this little honey so far. I understand now why it's a legend...and the front display is absolutely gougeous!

20220831_194401_HDR.jpg

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #5,163 of 5,991
I've had mine for a couple years now and remain satisfied. Congrats! You chose right 👍

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #5,164 of 5,991
Does anyone knows if the RME is effected if you connect one amplifier on the RCA and chain another one from the amplifier's pass through? I have two amplifiers and one is with pass through and thought to hook them up and use one or the other with the RME. Never both amps simultaneously

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #5,167 of 5,991
Does anyone knows if the RME is effected if you connect one amplifier on the RCA and chain another one from the amplifier's pass through? I have two amplifiers and one is with pass through and thought to hook them up and use one or the other with the RME. Never both amps simultaneously
That's exactly what I'm doing with my RME XLR line out to a Topping A30 pro. I use the passthrough function on the Topping to switch between the Topping Headphone Amp and my Speaker amp. Works perfectly. Enjoy your RME!

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #5,168 of 5,991
I'm stunned at how good the DSP is on this...I one of those that never use EQ...well...after 35 years, that has changed! I love being able to just reach over and turn the bass up! And there is zero loss of fidelity, its like the DSP is done at the 'mastering level' if that even means anything.... I am burning in a new iem (ISN EST50), it's also scary good but the bass is a little boxy till it breaks in. I just dropped bass down 1.5dB, and the boxiness vanished, and everything else was pristine. that's when I realized how powerful this thing is....very happy right now! :)

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #5,169 of 5,991
Thanks for this reply as well as Mr Magee's... I'm no technician, but as I understand it the mod I'm getting (on top of the GRpsu) is a discrete I/V converter via a current conveyor, complete with its own separate GR-PSU. If what I just wrote is gobbledy gook, then I blame myself and (as always!) Wikipedia.

I'm aware of RME's reputation as already being so well designed that mods to the internals are pointless. And, to be clear, I LOVE my RME already--it's my favourite part of my setup, and that includes the headphones themselves. But measurements don't tell the whole story, and my builder is someone who I consider both skilled and trustworthy. The time required for the mod isn't a huge concern--I'm now interested in whether and to what extent it works. So, I'd love to chat with anybody who has also had a go at clearing up the signal path.
I have never had this DAC but are you insisting this dac sounds a little dirty, or loud, when nothing is playing? Like there is hissing, or something?

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #5,170 of 5,991
I'm stunned at how good the DSP is on this...I one of those that never use EQ...well...after 35 years, that has changed! I love being able to just reach over and turn the bass up! And there is zero loss of fidelity, its like the DSP is done at the 'mastering level' if that even means anything.... I am burning in a new iem (ISN EST50), it's also scary good but the bass is a little boxy till it breaks in. I just dropped bass down 1.5dB, and the boxiness vanished, and everything else was pristine. that's when I realized how powerful this thing is....very happy right now! :)
Congrats on your RME! I've had one since early in the year, and love it. The adjustments now seem simple once I got used to the interface, I have preconfigured eq setup for each of my headphones, and find it's dsp flawless. Enjoy!!!

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #5,171 of 5,991
Does anyone know where to get a decent SPDIF Coaxial to stereo 3.5 mm cable? They seems to exist but are quite rare appearently.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #5,172 of 5,991
Does anyone know where to get a decent SPDIF Coaxial to stereo 3.5 mm cable? They seems to exist but are quite rare appearently.
What are you trying to do?

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,173 of 5,991
What are you trying to do?

Was hoping you wouldn't ask 😁 it's just something I was curious testing (nothing I intend to be running permanently or anything). Without being too specific:

Another DAC (SPDIF, lineout) (the idea is to be able to use the DSP processing of the DAC) -> Pre-amp (has some customization to it, sadly only has stereo 3.5 mm input/output) -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS Coaxial digital in.

It's just something I wanna try out with the processing of the audio to verify something. I know it's a strange use case. Another alternative is using optical SPDIF input <-> analog converter sort of device between RME DAC and the pre-amp but I don't fancy buying such device for this testing, the 3.5 mm stereo -> spdif coaxial cable seemed like a cheaper option. I'm no connector/cable expert so I don't know if stereo 3.5 mm -> coaxial spdif convertion is doable for starters, only that I see the cable do in fact exist.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #5,174 of 5,991
Was hoping you wouldn't ask 😁 it's just something I was curious testing (nothing I intend to be running permanently or anything). Without being too specific:

Another DAC (SPDIF, lineout) (the idea is to be able to use the DSP processing of the DAC) -> Pre-amp (has some customization to it, sadly only has stereo 3.5 mm input/output) -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS Coaxial digital in.

It's just something I wanna try out with the processing of the audio to verify something. I know it's a strange use case. Another alternative is using optical SPDIF input <-> analog converter sort of device between RME DAC and the pre-amp but I don't fancy buying such device for this testing, the 3.5 mm stereo -> spdif coaxial cable seemed like a cheaper option. I'm no connector/cable expert so I don't know if stereo 3.5 mm -> coaxial spdif convertion is doable for starters, only that I see the cable do in fact exist.

I'm not understand something:

Some DAC -> preamp -> RME

The preamp does not have digital out, does it?

There is no analog input on the RME non-pro version.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5,175 of 5,991

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do but I am guessing, without knowing your specific models, that when you say "SPDIF, line out" between "another DAC" and "preamp" you mean SPDIF (digital) input to DAC and analog "lineout" to your preamp? Since your preamp only has a 3.5mm stereo input and a 3.5mm stereo output, I am guessing these are analog stereo jacks and that your DAC would have done the digital--> analog conversion prior to sending signal to "preamp". If this is true, then I don't think the RME ADI-2 DAC will work in your chain as you describe it since it requires a digital input (it does not have an analog input). Why not just use your RME ADI-2 as the DAC for DSP (source --> RME ADI-2 DAC --> preamp)? In my opinion, the DSP/PEQ features in a compact all in one unit is what makes the ADI-2 DAC great.

Otherwise, does the other DAC have an analog input (analog 3.5mm or RCA, not digital))? For example, my chain is Bluesound Node 2i (source) --> coax (digital) cable --> RME ADI-2 (DAC/HP amp) --> stereo RCA (analog) cables --> NAD D 3045 (via stereo RCA, drives speakers and bass management for subwoofer). I believe my NAD D 3045 actually converts the analog signal it receives to digital and then converts back from digital to analog using its own internal DAC. Perhaps your "another DAC" can do the same?

Just a suggestion, but someone here may be able to assist better if you list the model of your actual other DAC and preamp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back