RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,176 of 5,998
I think it can do that but I would have to check in the manual to be sure but I think I will just skip the pre-amp, had been a better comparison with that as I'm more familiar with sound using that but it was just a brainfart that I didn't think the preamp is analog when obviously both the lineout and the input on the RME DAC are digital so that obviously won't work.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #5,177 of 5,998
You're very welcome :p

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,178 of 5,998
This may seem like a silly question...i'm using the dac out of RME to amp...if anyone else does this, what volume level do you set the RME to? I have it set to about -16, then my amp volume knob is roughly at 11:00-12:00....I figure this was a good balance? I tried full volume out of dac and it sounded shouty....I know I'm obsessing but I'm just curious what others think here....

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #5,179 of 5,998
This may seem like a silly question...i'm using the dac out of RME to amp...if anyone else does this, what volume level do you set the RME to? I have it set to about -16, then my amp volume knob is roughly at 11:00-12:00....I figure this was a good balance? I tried full volume out of dac and it sounded shouty....I know I'm obsessing but I'm just curious what others think here....

No, this is dangerous and neither piece of gear works as intended.

0 dB out of all sources, and volume is always controlled by the amp.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #5,180 of 5,998
No, this is dangerous and neither piece of gear works as intended.

0 dB out of all sources, and volume is always controlled by the amp.
I set mine up with DAC set to 0db, and amp set to one step below clipping.
After that-
I use the DAC to control volume, but never need to approach 0db with that amp setting in order to achieve a proper volume level at my ears

The DAC effectively becomes a Pre Amp

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #5,181 of 5,998
I set mine up with DAC set to 0db, and amp set to one step below clipping.
After that-
I use the DAC to control volume, but never need to approach 0db with that amp setting in order to achieve a proper volume level at my ears

The DAC effectively becomes a Pre Amp
Why are you quoting me when it seems you're responding to the person who asked the question?

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #5,182 of 5,998

It partly depends on what happens in the amp. If the signal goes straight to the volume pot then it doesn't really matter.

In other cases, you might overload the input circuitry of the amp if you give it too much.

If we are talking RCA connections here then your amp is probably expecting around 2V max but should have a bit of headroom above this. It is however unlikely to have enough headroom for the full output of the RME.

Basically you want the largest signal possible out of the DAC for best signal-to-noise ration but without overloading the amp. I suggest setting the reference level to +7dBu and setting the RME volume control to 0dB or +1dB. If using Auto Ref Level, then set the RME volume control to -6dBu (as full output is +13dBu).

+7dBu is about 1.7V.

The conversion table was posted just a day or three ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rme-adi-2-dac-thread.868015/post-17116338

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #5,183 of 5,998
It partly depends on what happens in the amp. If the signal goes straight to the volume pot then it doesn't really matter.

In other cases, you might overload the input circuitry of the amp if you give it too much.

If we are talking RCA connections here then your amp is probably expecting around 2V max but should have a bit of headroom above this. It is however unlikely to have enough headroom for the full output of the RME.

Basically you want the largest signal possible out of the DAC for best signal-to-noise ration but without overloading the amp. I suggest setting the reference level to +7dBu and setting the RME volume control to 0dB or +1dB. If using Auto Ref Level, then set the RME volume control to -6dBu (as full output is +13dBu).

+7dBu is about 1.7V.

The conversion table was posted just a day or three ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rme-adi-2-dac-thread.868015/post-17116338
See, setting RME to -6dB puts the volume pot on the amp at around 11:00...that feels right

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5,184 of 5,998
Not a silly question at all and easily answered by referring to the excellent manual. Not strictly referring to you, but it is amazing to me how many people don't read through the manual. It really covers about everything. If you are using RCA outputs most amps (some will handle much more) will handle 2V input. If using balanced I think standard is around 4V (again, some will handle way more). Using the handy chart below, copied directly from the manual, you can set the appropriate values and never worry about it again:

1662651099832.png

When I use mine with RCA, I set it to Ref +13 and Volume -6db (maybe 1.8V?). This seems to work without any issues on every amp I have used with any of my RME units over the last several years, even though I use tone controls and PEQ daily. Amps used for example: Ampsandsound LeeLoo/Pendant, Bottlehead Crack, JDS Labs EL 2, THX 789 and more.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #5,185 of 5,998
See, setting RME to -6dB puts the volume pot on the amp at around 11:00...that feels right
I think the issue is that you put -16 dB instead of -6 dB in your original post. Probably a typo based on your last response.

I have my RME ADI-2 connected to a NAD I integrated amp via RCA on my desktop. I believe I started with -5 or -6 on the RME and eventually ended up at -4.5. My amp is usually around -55 to -45 and has been working great for me. Auto Ref Level On for me if I recall correctly.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #5,187 of 5,998
I think the issue is that you put -16 dB instead of -6 dB in your original post. Probably a typo based on your last response.

I have my RME ADI-2 connected to a NAD I integrated amp via RCA on my desktop. I believe I started with -5 or -6 on the RME and eventually ended up at -4.5. My amp is usually around -55 to -45 and has been working great for me. Auto Ref Level On for me if I recall correctly.
No, I DID have it at -16. I changed it to -6Db based on techobears advice

If using Auto Ref Level, then set the RME volume control to -6dBu (as full output is +13dBu).

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,188 of 5,998
Not a silly question at all and easily answered by referring to the excellent manual. Not strictly referring to you, but it is amazing to me how many people don't read through the manual. It really covers about everything. If you are using RCA outputs most amps (some will handle much more) will handle 2V input. If using balanced I think standard is around 4V (again, some will handle way more). Using the handy chart below, copied directly from the manual, you can set the appropriate values and never worry about it again:

1662651099832.png

When I use mine with RCA, I set it to Ref +13 and Volume -6db (maybe 1.8V?). This seems to work without any issues on every amp I have used with any of my RME units over the last several years, even though I use tone controls and PEQ daily. Amps used for example: Ampsandsound LeeLoo/Pendant, Bottlehead Crack, JDS Labs EL 2, THX 789 and more.
Yes, I read this last week and forgot.....the volume issue for just came up this morning and I went right to the thread....

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #5,189 of 5,998
To me it's not a silly question as I had the same question when I got my RME. (my bad for not reading the entire manual) and have essentially been using it as a preamp to a fixed volume into my amp. Based on the responses here I'm going to check out the recommended settings expressed here and in the manual. Thanks everyone of the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back