RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #5,131 of 5,998
Thanks for this reply as well as Mr Magee's... I'm no technician, but as I understand it the mod I'm getting (on top of the GRpsu) is a discrete I/V converter via a current conveyor, complete with its own separate GR-PSU. If what I just wrote is gobbledy gook, then I blame myself and (as always!) Wikipedia.

I'm aware of RME's reputation as already being so well designed that mods to the internals are pointless. And, to be clear, I LOVE my RME already--it's my favourite part of my setup, and that includes the headphones themselves. But measurements don't tell the whole story, and my builder is someone who I consider both skilled and trustworthy. The time required for the mod isn't a huge concern--I'm now interested in whether and to what extent it works. So, I'd love to chat with anybody who has also had a go at clearing up the signal path.
If it isn't broken, don't fix it - especially as you admit you're no technician and therefore are likely to completely fail to understand what you're trying to fix.

And while measurements do not tell the whole story, they are way more accurate than your hearing - human hearing accuracy is absolutely terrible by comparison to even basic measuring equipment.

These mods can be also a total can of worms, once done there can be no going back. Even though I'm technically competent I'm 100% convinced that any modification that I would make to the ADI-2 DAC would most certainly not bring any audible improvement.

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,132 of 5,998
If it isn't broken, don't fix it - especially as you admit you're no technician and therefore are likely to completely fail to understand what you're trying to fix.

And while measurements do not tell the whole story, they are way more accurate than your hearing - human hearing accuracy is absolutely terrible by comparison to even basic measuring equipment.

These mods can be also a total can of worms, once done there can be no going back. Even though I'm technically competent I'm 100% convinced that any modification that I would make to the ADI-2 DAC would most certainly not bring any audible improvement.
... This isn't a rhetoric contest. I don't say I'm absent of knowledge or that I'm 'fixing' anything myself--I'm asking for substantial commentary about an improved technology. And this response isn't it.

Feel free to support your remarks with examples (or at least technical terms, which I provided, and you don't). Sorry if, by being a bit humble, I opened myself up to condescension.

I'd definitely appreciate your perspective...with content.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #5,133 of 5,998
... This isn't a rhetoric contest. I don't say I'm absent of knowledge or that I'm 'fixing' anything myself--I'm asking for substantial commentary about an improved technology. And this response isn't it.

Feel free to support your remarks with examples (or at least technical terms, which I provided, and you don't). Sorry if, by being a bit humble, I opened myself up to condescension.

I'd definitely appreciate your perspective...with content.
Upthread somebody posted that RME is going to add a linear power supply to their lineup. If anybody has concerns about the wall-wart they can try the RME PSU when it's available.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #5,134 of 5,998
Upthread somebody posted that RME is going to add a linear power supply to their lineup. If anybody has concerns about the wall-wart they can try the RME PSU when it's available.
This is very helpful, thanks, though I thought that Matthias (the designer) wrote in the official RME forum that a different power supply wouldn't make any audible difference. Would be interesting if this stance is walked back.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #5,135 of 5,998
This is very helpful, thanks, though I thought that Matthias (the designer) wrote in the official RME forum that a different power supply wouldn't make any audible difference. Would be interesting if this stance is walked back.
He did say that years ago, yes. I think these companies whose customers were mostly pro audio were suprised at the reception some of their products get from the hifi customer. RME and 4,4mm jack? Never though it would happen. Violectric supporting DSD? Miracle.

Oh the times they are a' changing...

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #5,136 of 5,998
Don't think so. Quote from RME forum:

This power supply is different in its concept and will appeal to some (as nearhos prooved), but we will never state that it sounds better or such. BTW, the 2/4 Pro will ship with the current SMPS in a 40 Watt version, and no longer two prong but IEC socket with PE ground to finally fix the leakage current issue.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #5,137 of 5,998
Don't think so. Quote from RME forum:

This power supply is different in its concept and will appeal to some (as nearhos prooved), but we will never state that it sounds better or such. BTW, the 2/4 Pro will ship with the current SMPS in a 40 Watt version, and no longer two prong but IEC socket with PE ground to finally fix the leakage current issue.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329

So do we think we'll be able to buy separately replacement PSUs with the three-prong (grounded) ending to fix the current leakage issue for our older units?

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #5,138 of 5,998
So do we think we'll be able to buy separately replacement PSUs with the three-prong (grounded) ending to fix the current leakage issue for our older units?
I posted photos from London Canjam and was told that the RME linear power supply that will come sometime in September will be compatible with both RME DAC FS and pro. What exactly is the current leakage issue?

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #5,139 of 5,998
I posted photos from London Canjam and was told that the RME linear power supply that will come sometime in September will be compatible with both RME DAC FS and pro. What exactly is the current leakage issue?

I wasn't even thinking about the linear power supply, but rather a new PSU like the existing one but with grounding on the other end.

Currently, if the RME is not connected via RCA to an external amp that is grounded and if it's connected to the source via optical (or is it also if connected by USB?), the unit is "floating" as Grace Design explained to me years ago about their m900. There is a low level current that has nowhere to go and is floating in the case of the unit. If you touch the unit, there is a low level vibration feeling in your fingers from the current.

I assume this is what they were referring to here? https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329 and not the thing that happened to me three times in as many years:

20210408_230848.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #5,140 of 5,998
I wasn't even thinking about the linear power supply, but rather a new PSU like the existing one but with grounding on the other end.

Currently, if the RME is not connected via RCA to an external amp that is grounded and if it's connected to the source via optical, the unit is "floating" as Grace Designed explained to me years ago about their m900. There is a low level current that has nowhere to go and is floating in the case of the unit. If you touch the unit, there is a low level vibration feeling in your fingers from the current.

I assume this is what they were referring to here? https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329 and not the thing that happened to me three times in as many years:

20210408_230848.jpg
Nice one. I wasn't aware of that and never had an issue since i have the RCA connected and not using optical.

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #5,141 of 5,998

Currently, if the RME is not connected via RCA to an external amp that is grounded and if it's connected to the source via optical (or is it also if connected by USB?), the unit is "floating" as Grace Design explained to me years ago about their m900. There is a low level current that has nowhere to go and is floating in the case of the unit. If you touch the unit, there is a low level vibration feeling in your fingers from the current.

20210408_230848.jpg
I don't think so. This is about a 0 Hz digital signal.

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #5,142 of 5,998

That 'vibration feeling' became famous by MacBooks - same cause, no power supply ground.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #5,143 of 5,998
I have two amps connected to my RME , one balanced (HPA4) one tube (Euforia)
Any advice on below greatly appreciated.
RME's Ref Level is set to +13dBu (Auto Ref Level is set to OFF) and RME volume set at -10, is there anyway if knowing what voltage the RME is putting into the external amplifiers? Reason I'm asking is these setting have been advised for a similar amp to HPA4 on the thread and seem to work well with my HPA4. But and a big but, I also have my tube amp Euforia connected to the SE terminal on RME and I'm worried the above settings are also running into that and could cause damage. My question is should I be worried? Any help and advice would be very appreciated.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #5,144 of 5,998
The RME has plenty of power for the Aryas. It is a fantastic pairing.
I recently purchased Arya v2 and RME ADI-2 DAC (ESS version). I have to agree: it is a fantastic pairing. With equalization the sound is remarkably transparent, detailed, and smooth without the harshness. Soundstage and spatial separation are truly amazing. Depending on the recording, the stage can be more deep or more wide, but it is always airy and stereographic, with very precise natural placements for the instruments and the performers, never smooshing anything.

ADI-2 DAC has plenty of power to drive the Aryas beautifully. I first tried the Aryas with IFI iDSD MIcro BL, which also has enough power to drive them, but does not offer the clarity or the of ADI-2. Since Aryas are mighty large and open, and so are not exactly designed for strolls outside, esp. with the squarish torsion ribbon raised over the headband, the portability of Micro BL is not enough of an attraction to warrant its use. As much as I love it, I would say that Aryas may be a bit out of its league.

I have listened to classical, jazz, pop and rock. All of these work great, as long as the recordings are good. You will hear all of the flaws on old and poorly executed recordings.

ADI-2 takes a bit of time to learn, but it is worth it, especially if you have a pair of Aryas to drive.

:)

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #5,145 of 5,998
I have two amps connected to my RME , one balanced (HPA4) one tube (Euforia)
Any advice on below greatly appreciated.
RME's Ref Level is set to +13dBu (Auto Ref Level is set to OFF) and RME volume set at -10, is there anyway if knowing what voltage the RME is putting into the external amplifiers? Reason I'm asking is these setting have been advised for a similar amp to HPA4 on the thread and seem to work well with my HPA4. But and a big but, I also have my tube amp Euforia connected to the SE terminal on RME and I'm worried the above settings are also running into that and could cause damage. My question is should I be worried? Any help and advice would be very appreciated.
dBu V
-10 0.245
-9 0.275
-8 0.309
-7 0.346
-6 0.388
-5 0.436
-4 0.489
-3 0.549
-2 0.616
-1 0.691
0 0.775