RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,812 of 5,991
We all say that :)
I ordered mine a year ago, but UPS decided I couldn't have it. After a couple of months wrangling, they finally accepted responsibility and I was able to get my money back. As it turns out, it was quite fortunate because I wound up going in a different direction and the device I have now is a better fit for my musical sensibilities.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,814 of 5,991
I'm one of you now! My RME ADI-2 RME FS arrived a little while ago and it's replacing a pair of Drop/Grace SDACs ...
  • One went to a Bottlehead Crack and then an HD800S (and sometimes HD650)
  • The other to a Burson Soloist and then to a Focal Clear (and sometimes that HD800S or an HE-500)
Not to knock the SDACs because I think they're terrific for the money, but especially with the HD800S, I could hear where the limit was ... with classical music, things with horn sections, lots of distortion, etc... things were a bit hit or miss as to whether they were even enjoyable. The Focal Clears on the other hand were more forgiving with such things, but still not perfect.

Now with the ADI-2, I'm able to replace both SDAC units since there are the two line outs on the ADI-2 ... and more importantly, I have yet to throw something at the ADI-2 -> Bottlehead Crack -> HD800S where I'm unhappy with the sound. Is there room for improvement in some cases? Yeah ... but that's what this thing has a million features for me to play with for, right? I'm already pretty happy with this as it is straight out of the box... or in the very worst case I'm content, which is great.

I also gave a quick listen to my UERM plugged straight into the IEM port of the ADI-2 and things sounded great. Quick listens to the Focal Clear and HD800S plugged straight into the ADI-2 also sounded good ... I'm not sure I noticed any difference in the Focal Clear when going straight to the ADI-2 versus when going out of the Burson ... but with the HD800S, I definitely noted a little more roundness and heft on the sound coming out of the Bottlehead Crack, which I prefer. That said the HD800S still seemed enjoyable straight out of the ADI-2 on a quick (and I mean really quick) listen.

These are of course just quick initial impressions, but things are definitely off to a good and promising start.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #3,815 of 5,991
I'm one of you now! My RME ADI-2 RME FS arrived a little while ago and it's replacing a pair of Drop/Grace SDACs ...
  • One went to a Bottlehead Crack and then an HD800S (and sometimes HD650)
  • The other to a Burson Soloist and then to a Focal Clear (and sometimes that HD800S or an HE-500)
Not to knock the SDACs because I think they're terrific for the money, but especially with the HD800S, I could hear where the limit was ... with classical music, things with horn sections, lots of distortion, etc... things were a bit hit or miss as to whether they were even enjoyable. The Focal Clears on the other hand were more forgiving with such things, but still not perfect.

Now with the ADI-2, I'm able to replace both SDAC units since there are the two line outs on the ADI-2 ... and more importantly, I have yet to throw something at the ADI-2 -> Bottlehead Crack -> HD800S where I'm unhappy with the sound. Is there room for improvement in some cases? Yeah ... but that's what this thing has a million features for me to play with for, right? I'm already pretty happy with this as it is straight out of the box... or in the very worst case I'm content, which is great.

I also gave a quick listen to my UERM plugged straight into the IEM port of the ADI-2 and things sounded great. Quick listens to the Focal Clear and HD800S plugged straight into the ADI-2 also sounded good ... I'm not sure I noticed any difference in the Focal Clear when going straight to the ADI-2 versus when going out of the Burson ... but with the HD800S, I definitely noted a little more roundness and heft on the sound coming out of the Bottlehead Crack, which I prefer. That said the HD800S still seemed enjoyable straight out of the ADI-2 on a quick (and I mean really quick) listen.

These are of course just quick initial impressions, but things are definitely off to a good and promising start.

Enjoy discovering what this DAC is capable of. Mine has been in service 2 years now and I still have not thought about replacing it with something "better".

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #3,816 of 5,991
Just ordered the ADI-2 and picked up a used Drop THX AAA 789 as well. Haven't read too many bad reviews of either, curious to see how they sound. Currently using a Mojo with Fostex TH900 mkii and HD650's.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #3,817 of 5,991
Just ordered the ADI-2 and picked up a used Drop THX AAA 789 as well. Haven't read too many bad reviews of either, curious to see how they sound. Currently using a Mojo with Fostex TH900 mkii and HD650's.
That is my primary setup, ADI-2 DAC feeding the THX amp to the balanced output jack. For single-ended I will usually go straight from the RME DAC.
The THX is transparent with near silent background and does not alter what feeds it. I use it for some planars that may need more push for the magnets.
The ADI-2 DAC has many pro-level settings, adjustments and parametric properties to shape the sound how you like. It takes some time to learn/navigate the menu functions but the manual it is written well to explain each capability.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,818 of 5,991
That is my primary setup, ADI-2 DAC feeding the THX amp to the balanced output jack. For single-ended I will usually go straight from the RME DAC.
The THX is transparent with near silent background and does not alter what feeds it. I use it for some planars that may need more push for the magnets.
The ADI-2 DAC has many pro-level settings, adjustments and parametric properties to shape the sound how you like. It takes some time to learn/navigate the menu functions but the manual it is written well to explain each capability.

I picked up the amp more out of curiosity than thinking I'll really need it....it was used and a good deal.

I anticipate spending a lot of time tweaking with the ADI. Part of the fun though.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #3,819 of 5,991

@G8torbyte Any recommendations for balanced interconnecting cables?

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,821 of 5,991
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,822 of 5,991
Jan 23, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,823 of 5,991

TH900s are killer right out of the RME. Plenty of headroom and of course fantastic sound.

HD 600/650/6XX will be happier with a tube OTL amp or a solid state amp with more grunt. Not sure if the THX amps are a good match for the Sennheisers but let us know what you think.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,824 of 5,991
Hey guys,
I have had this Dac for a while now and am trying to adjust EQ for my Sennheiser HD800s.
Would like to use EQ adjustments found at oratory1990, link below. But when I go to do this, end up not knowing what the crap I'm doing. Watched RME's quick video on EQing and it didn't help much. Can anyone refer me to a guide with step by step instructions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhwoxvqpdml3rtm/Sennheiser HD800S (RME ADI-2).pdf?dl=0

Chibs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back