RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,781 of 6,005
IMO advantages depends on price bracket. Up to around 2K balanced definitely brings a better sound compared to similarly priced SE. But the whole SE/BAL discursion is not that simple. 2K+ SE actually beats most sub 2K BAL.
That's kinda what I said but I don't know there is a price point. To me it's more good SE gear is better than bad balanced gear. I think in the end we agree :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #3,782 of 6,005
Why, what's missing in the current version? Honest question.
Same here, I was asking out of curiosity if there was any truth to a new version coming from RME. I've been using the ADI-2 DAC for over two years and been very satisfied with the performance. I don't mind the frequent firmware and driver updates either as it shows their commitment to a continuous improvement program. Navigating the menus is a learning experience and I keep the manual on-hand which thankfully is very informative. If a redesign is in the future that would be my only suggestion to ease the user-interface.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #3,783 of 6,005
Hey folks ... I'm looking to up my DAC game, and the ADI-2 DAC definitely sounds appealing.

My current main rigs:
SDAC -> Bottlehead Crack+Speedball -> HD800S
SDAC-B -> Burson Soloist -> Focal Clear
Fiio BTR3 -> UERM

(I've also got HD650, Hifiman HE-500, Denon AH-D2000, Beyer DT770 and more, but that's the main stuff.)

A couple of questions:

1) So I'm thinking of replacing the two SDACs with the one ADI-2 DAC ... I'm assuming I can simultaneously use both the RCA and XLR outputs on the back so I can listen via both the Bottlehead and the Burson at the same time, right? (I know the main difference between them is ~6dB, but meh... both my amps have volume controls.)

2) I've read that the ADI-2 treats all of the outputs as unique and lets you set things differently for each. I figure the headphone, IEM, and outs on the back are treated as separate ... are the RCA and XLR considered the same or different? Would I be able to have one set of settings for the RCA and another for the XLR? Might be nice to tweak things differently for the HD800S than the Clear... but then again, I might just enjoy the house sound.

Other than that, the idea of using it with my UERM is really appealing, as well as the overall versatility of the unit. I'm also open to suggestions if there are other units I should be looking into, but the ADI-2 DAC really seems to be a unique contender. (I'm a big fan of bang for the buck ... and nothing against the SDAC as it has definitely been that.)

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #3,784 of 6,005
Does anyone use something like a Fiio BTA30 as a bluetooth receiver, or can please suggest a low priced option?
I would like to use it to connect with my Nvidia Shield for movies and music blu-rays.

*looks like the BTA30 is plagued with problems

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #3,785 of 6,005
Hey folks ... I'm looking to up my DAC game, and the ADI-2 DAC definitely sounds appealing.

My current main rigs:
SDAC -> Bottlehead Crack+Speedball -> HD800S
SDAC-B -> Burson Soloist -> Focal Clear
Fiio BTR3 -> UERM

(I've also got HD650, Hifiman HE-500, Denon AH-D2000, Beyer DT770 and more, but that's the main stuff.)

A couple of questions:

1) So I'm thinking of replacing the two SDACs with the one ADI-2 DAC ... I'm assuming I can simultaneously use both the RCA and XLR outputs on the back so I can listen via both the Bottlehead and the Burson at the same time, right? (I know the main difference between them is ~6dB, but meh... both my amps have volume controls.)

2) I've read that the ADI-2 treats all of the outputs as unique and lets you set things differently for each. I figure the headphone, IEM, and outs on the back are treated as separate ... are the RCA and XLR considered the same or different? Would I be able to have one set of settings for the RCA and another for the XLR? Might be nice to tweak things differently for the HD800S than the Clear... but then again, I might just enjoy the house sound.

Other than that, the idea of using it with my UERM is really appealing, as well as the overall versatility of the unit. I'm also open to suggestions if there are other units I should be looking into, but the ADI-2 DAC really seems to be a unique contender. (I'm a big fan of bang for the buck ... and nothing against the SDAC as it has definitely been that.)
1) yes
2) RCA and XLR considered the same.
3) RME is tremendously musical and has a lot of UI and tweaks. I think it's the best thousand dollars/euros anybody will ever spend on audio gear.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,786 of 6,005
1) yes
2) RCA and XLR considered the same.
3) RME is tremendously musical and has a lot of UI and tweaks. I think it's the best thousand dollars/euros anybody will ever spend on audio gear.

Cool, thanks for the info. I usually like to listen to stuff before I buy ... especially stuff this spendy, but this seems awesome enough for my needs that I've taken the leap. Just put in an order with an RME authorized dealer (and managed to get 'em to knock ~$150 off the price). I'll be a member of team ADI-2 on Thursday.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,787 of 6,005
Cool, thanks for the info. I usually like to listen to stuff before I buy ... especially stuff this spendy, but this seems awesome enough for my needs that I've taken the leap. Just put in an order with an RME authorized dealer (and managed to get 'em to knock ~$150 off the price). I'll be a member of team ADI-2 on Thursday.
I can almost never hear anything before I buy it so I do a lot of research. I don't think I ever read anything less than positive about the RME. You will not be disappointed :)

For us it is an advantage that we have some pro audio companies nearby so I know if there would be any issue it would be easy to send it for repair.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,788 of 6,005
Dont forget that a balanced amp/dac can handle every channel with a separate dac chip thats where benefits like more control better sound less distortion start and is noticable over single ended

But there are also dacs that use one dac and do not really make a balanced circuit where every channel had its own data up and ground (thx 888, topping, s.m.s.l and put a balanced output connector like 4.4 or 4 pin xlr at the end and call it balanced

Physical se has not a chance against a real dual dac seperate grounded R+ R- L+ L- balance circuit

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,789 of 6,005
I can almost never hear anything before I buy it so I do a lot of research.

I am also a heavy researcher.

I don't think I ever read anything less than positive about the RME. You will not be disappointed :)

I noticed that as well... or those that didn't favor it versus something else still tended to really like it, just not as much as something else they liked more. The Chord Qutest seems frequently compared, but that unit is more expensive and less flexible ... and at the prices we're talking, I imagine we're well into the territory of diminishing returns.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #3,790 of 6,005
I am also a heavy researcher.

I noticed that as well... or those that didn't favor it versus something else still tended to really like it, just not as much as something else they liked more. The Chord Qutest seems frequently compared, but that unit is more expensive and less flexible ... and at the prices we're talking, I imagine we're well into the territory of diminishing returns.
In my experience the RME sound quality is as good or at least as enjoyable as more expensive DACs. The RME can be fiddly to set up though. It's a hifi product from a pro audio company so it is not the same as a hifi product from a hifi company. I guess some of the people who don't like it as much as something else may not have set it up properly.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,792 of 6,005
Can anyone recommend some headphones that are a good pair with the RME, without any additional amp?
I’m using the Anandas but I’d like to treat myself with something new :sweat_smile:
Great pairings: LCD-2C, Fostex TR, TH900

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,795 of 6,005
By definition line out is fixed. RME has line out mode and variable output mode.

Yes you can do that but it is a really terrible idea unless you really mean power amp without a volume control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back