RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #3,766 of 6,006
It's not wattage directly that seems to have the influence on the performance of high impedance dynamics but rather the voltage component of wattage. That seems to be why they do well on tubes and out of solid state amps that can swing enough voltage.

And I wasn't having a loudness conversation.

I was having a quality of sound conversation, but a few people missed it. Badly. :wink:

While you're at it, lookup how much current AND voltage the Asgard 3 and ifi can swing in different modes.

You might not like their sound signature/tonality but talking about current and voltage levels does not apply here since they will drive the HD600 to the point of melting it's thin coils.

When it comes to tube amps, it's the 2nd order harmonic distortion that makes the HD series work well with them, not the current or voltage as I also have a Bottlehead SEX which will drive the HD600 to its melting point as the SEX can power small speakers.

I assure you that your ears or the HD600 are broken and end this conversation. You don't have any idea what you are after and sound like just part of the tired old Sennheiser brigade who still believes that the Sennheisers need some magic dust to work properly.

It's a 20 year old argument and you're not breaking new ground here as I have seen folks spend thousands on amps to power the HD series chasing that dragon of some magical sound that appears from these when you power them with unobtainium amps.

Back to RME discussion now.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,767 of 6,006
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,769 of 6,006
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,771 of 6,006
I think they updated the V2 only because AKM released a direct replacement DAC chip (AK4493 is pin compatible to the older AK4490), probably similar prices, so why not? Just add a fancier remote control and call it an update. Other than a new product entirely, I don't see much to improve in the ADI-2. More processing power for more PEQ bands would be nice though.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,773 of 6,006
Balanced output with 4.4mm

Balanced would mean roughly 50 to 75% more parts (dedicated parts for each channel). The unit would cost much more. You realize balanced doesn't offer any advantages? The crazy idea comes from people seeing that balanced provides better results on units that have both balanced and SE. Of course on those balanced will sound better, balanced in that unit has more power. But an RME balanced at the same price point as the current SE model would sound worse.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,774 of 6,006
Balanced would mean roughly 50 to 75% more parts (dedicated parts for each channel). The unit would cost much more. You realize balanced doesn't offer any advantages? The crazy idea comes from people seeing that balanced provides better results on units that have both balanced and SE. Of course on those balanced will sound better, balanced in that unit has more power. But an RME balanced at the same price point as the current SE model would sound worse.
Actually, my main selfish motivation is that for convenience my main listening is a Sony WM1A and my iems and headphones are 4.4m. As many amps like Topping and iFi etc have a 4.4mm output I just wanted to throw it out there. I am entirely happy with single ended output.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3,775 of 6,006
Very true. It is almost like there has been a religious cult growing around the superiority of balanced output which was left to thrive on the ground of ignorance and aggressive marketing. I tried and owned many amps and DACs from $100 to $5000 including cheap balanced gear and expensive SE.

Mostly because of marketing these days folks think balanced equals higher quality. Well, it is not. It (usually) equals more power but that power can be unclean and unrefined on cheaper gear. I wish at least third of Head-Fi community would understand this. It is all about implementation. Not about output type.
As a rule of thumb I would avoid sub $500 balanced gear. Between $500 and $2000 (where most of us do their shopping) balanced indeed usually sounds better. Cleaner, crisper, more powerful and more spacious. This was my experience with the CMA600i or the Taurus MKII.
But as you enter summit-fi like the Chord TT2 a single ended output can destroy all the mid-fi balanced amps.

It is not about SE vs. balanced. It is about implementation, parts used building the device and synergy.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,776 of 6,006
I’ve got a question about the potential pairing of the RME ADI-2 and Matrix X-SPDIF 2. Ultimately I am trying to see if it’s worth me adding the X-SPDIF between my MacBook Pro and RME.

Currently my MacBook Pro is connected to a CalDigit TS3+ hub which allows for optical, latest USB-A/C formats etc. With so few connections available on the MacBook Pro, it’s a godsend. I’m worried however it might be getting in the way so to speak. I’m not hearing anything that tells me this, I’m more curious and think it might be worth simplifying the chain.

Which makes the most sense?

1. MBP >Thunderbolt> CalDigit TS3+ >USB-A to USB-B> RME/V281/WA2 (current)

2. MBP >USB-C to USB-B> X-SPDIF 2 >Optical or Coax> RME/V281/WA2

3. MBP >USB-C to USB B> RME/V281/WA2

In scenarios 2 and 3 i’d still use the main thunderbolt connection to the dock for other purposes, but I would use the second port on the MacBook Pro to connect directly to the Matrix (2) or RME (3). Is there any point or stick with what I’ve got?

The other thing I just realised is how this Matrix box simplifies all audio from my MacBook Pro to my DAC/AMP and KEF LSX. Assuming I go with option 2 above, I use a dedicated USB-C port on the MBP into Matrix, but then Optical (toslink) to the LSX and Coax to the RME. One device in the middle handling my entire setup without having to go through a powered dock.

The only issue with the optical into LSX route is the lack of simple volume control. Optical requires you to use the LSX remote or KEF app. Currently I use AUX into my LSX from the V281 pre-out giving me that big chunky volume control.

Thoughts welcomed and appreciated!

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,777 of 6,006
I use a 2015 mac book pro via roon >matrix x-spidif 2 > rme adi fs2 and other various dac’s and then multiple amps. I would get some noise from the mac hard drive and my back-up drive when i was usb direct to my dac’s. The matrix has alleviated those noises and provides a blacker background, i feel, for the audio signal path. It was worth every penny to me, especially with the higher end amps and dac’s which seem to be much more sensitive to the slightest irregularities or “dirt” in the audio signal path. I can replicate the results by simply removing the matrix and going usb direct to several of my dac’s thus this combo is a keeper for me and my set-up.
1 issue i do have often is that i have to either shut down completely or unplug the usb that goes to the matrix when i have 4 dac’s connected, in order to reset the matrix so it knows which dac is on and to choose it. I believe this happens because i do NOT keep all audio pieces powered up simultaneously ONLY the chain i will be using. This is due to an over abundance of caution and because i have blown pieces In the pastby making mistakes, so i learned my lesson and ONLY power up the chain i want to listen to for a particular session. YMMV, good luck and happy listening. These are my experiences only and may not apply to your situation or particulars.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,778 of 6,006
Very true. It is almost like there has been a religious cult growing around the superiority of balanced output which was left to thrive on the ground of ignorance and aggressive marketing. I tried and owned many amps and DACs from $100 to $5000 including cheap balanced gear and expensive SE.

Mostly because of marketing these days folks think balanced equals higher quality. Well, it is not. It (usually) equals more power but that power can be unclean and unrefined on cheaper gear. I wish at least third of Head-Fi community would understand this. It is all about implementation. Not about output type.
As a rule of thumb I would avoid sub $500 balanced gear. Between $500 and $2000 (where most of us do their shopping) balanced indeed usually sounds better. Cleaner, crisper, more powerful and more spacious. This was my experience with the CMA600i or the Taurus MKII.
But as you enter summit-fi like the Chord TT2 a single ended output can destroy all the mid-fi balanced amps.

It is not about SE vs. balanced. It is about implementation, parts used building the device and synergy.
I agree that in cheap gear it is marketing and will not sound any better than SE. But maybe it's trickle down from pro gear (this is the RME thread after all) and on pro gear there is a benefit in reduced noise over long cable runs, electrically noisy environments. So it really depends on exactly which gear whether it's better or not. For example Violectric believes strongly in balanced headamps.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,779 of 6,006
It does offer advantages. But not everybody needs it.

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,780 of 6,006
It does offer advantages. But not everybody needs it.
IMO advantages depends on price bracket. Up to around 2K balanced definitely brings a better sound compared to similarly priced SE. But the whole SE/BAL discursion is not that simple. 2K+ SE actually beats most sub 2K BAL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back