RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #3,796 of 5,991
Can the lineout be fixed or variable for RCA/XLR outputs? Looking to see if I can use the volume control on the RME to drive my power amp.

Yes you can, in fact the ADI-2 Pro, on which the ADI-2 DAC is heavily based, was designed to do exactly that, but with powered audio monitors, which are essentially power amps built into speakers, so no problems. That's exactly how I use mine.

By definition line out is fixed. RME has line out mode and variable output mode.

Yes you can do that but it is a really terrible idea unless you really mean power amp without a volume control.

The definition of a power amp is an amp without a volume control, and the RME ADI-2 is an excellent digital source pre-amp if one should choose to use it in that manner.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,797 of 5,991
Yes you can, in fact the ADI-2 Pro, on which the ADI-2 DAC is heavily based, was designed to do exactly that, but with powered audio monitors, which are essentially power amps built into speakers, so no problems. That's exactly how I use mine.

The definition of a power amp is an amp without a volume control, and the RME ADI-2 is an excellent digital source pre-amp if one should choose to use it in that manner.
I know what a power amp is and yet the term is misused by people all the time. There is no crime in clarifying it as part of the answer. :wink:

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #3,799 of 5,991

Thx, I have a crest audio 8002 and a CA9, not vintage but getting there and this will be an interesting device to connect and try them.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #3,802 of 5,991
How is the direct pairing with Focal Clears? Im looking for a desktop dac/amp. I would prefer to have only one box on my desk :wink:

I freaking love it!

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #3,803 of 5,991
I've been preoccupied with end of year/Christmas and now summer holidays since owning my ADI-2 FS to get to really sit down and understand the menu and settings.
I know the manual is not heavy reading but I have found the RME YouTube channel ADI-2 menu walkthrough to be really helpful with understanding the basics.
Just wanted to share with any new owners who might appreciate a video guide.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #3,805 of 5,991
ADI-2 one of the best things i've ever bought.:beyersmile:

Attachments

• 1611089181730.JPEG
    1611089181730.JPEG
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,807 of 5,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back