RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3,736 of 6,025
Dk604 I have the RME version 2 and MHDT Orchid. Both are very nice but different. I use both in a speaker system. The RME is very clean and detailed, Orchid has rolled off highs and can come across with deeper and fuller soundstage but can't dig as deep for detail or information. Orchid can also sound more natural or musical on some recordings. I did add a Teddy Pardo power supply on RME, it did help with soundstage, made it sound fuller, more musical and noise floor dropped which in turn help with detail, very worth the investment. The Orchid sounds good with less complex music but when things get busy things can fall apart. Not so with RME no matter how fast or complex music gets everything stays together. Can't beat all the features with the RME. I like both and would not be without either of them depending on what mood I'm in.

What? The RME with the stock PSU is noisy? That's absolute news to me from my own experience with the unit for the past 24 months. And pretty much everyone else seems to say that it is a standard in pitch black no noise performance. Or am I misunderstanding the term noise floor?

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,737 of 6,025
I never thought RME power supply was noisy. I did think the RME soundstage was lacking so I bought the Teddy Pardo to hopefully help. It did help a lot in my system everything became bigger and deeper. It was also obvious the dac was much quieter with Teddy Pardo, I run both Orchid and RME off a Auralic streamer the RME is much quieter than Orchid, with or without the Teddy Pardo, it's very obvious.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,739 of 6,025
Can anyone speak to the quality of the amp for the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R? Is it the same as the previous iterations or is there an upgrade there? Also what amp would it be comparable to and what would you consider to be a decent upgrade?
There's a separate thread for the Pro version. I don't think anybody can complain about the quality of the amp. But you may need more amp depending on which headphones you want to use with it.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,740 of 6,025
There's a separate thread for the Pro version. I don't think anybody can complain about the quality of the amp. But you may need more amp depending on which headphones you want to use with it.
Agreed, and remember there is the High Power mode in ADI-2 DAC, and if that is not enough, the ADI-2 Pro can use both outputs as balanced for even more power.

As usual the manual is just awesome.

rme adi-2 power.jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #3,741 of 6,025
So does this have enough power for headphones such as hd6xx or would I need an amp with it?

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #3,742 of 6,025
So does this have enough power for headphones such as hd6xx or would I need an amp with it?

It has more then enougth power to drive the HD6XX to listening levels, which makes you hearing impaired.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #3,743 of 6,025
It does not drive the HD 600/650/6XX well. It can get loud enough but a good external amp will sound a lot better.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,744 of 6,025
It does not drive the HD 600/650/6XX well. It can get loud enough but a good external amp will sound a lot better.
Even with the ADI-2 DAC in High Power, still it sounds a lot better in a good external amp in your experience?

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,745 of 6,025
Even with the ADI-2 DAC in High Power, still it sounds a lot better in a good external amp in your experience?
Yes, definitely. My RME has been set to High Power mode from the moment I got it.

It does great with the LCD-2C, really nice with LCD-3F, super with Fostex, Sennheiser HD 25. Just does not work well for me with 300 ohm Sennheisers.

Edited totally misleading typo! Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,747 of 6,025
You're not alone in this and we hear you :)
Too late as I already ordered the white version, waiting to receive it. Even if the black is out now I won't be changing, so I am stuck with white... 1st world problems, I know.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,748 of 6,025
Yes, definitely. My RME has been set to High Power mode from the moment I got it.

It does great with the LCD-2C, really nice with LCD-3F, super with Fostex, Sennheiser HD 25. Just does not work well for me with 300 ohm Sennheisers.

Edited totally misleading typo! Sorry guys.

I tested the Beyer DT1990/1770, Sennheisers HD800/650/58X to test high impedance headphones and they all got plenty loud. Loud enough to be uncomfortable in 15 seconds. All had a 3db boost applied in bass to stress the RME a bit and the 6.35mm jack was used.

Check the headphone cables or the drivers as they might be shot. It's kinda unbelievable that the RME can't power the HD600. I could get hold of a pair of HD600 in a few days to test it out for myself.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #3,749 of 6,025
Again it is not about driving them loudly, it's about driving them well. The RME does not get along with 300 ohm Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back