RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #3,721 of 6,022
Hi there.. Happy New Year to all!!!
As a DAC only how would you compare ADI-2 DAC fs to the cord Qutest?
If there are any posts comparing them here I would appreciate to redirect me to them... I have read some pages but the thread is quite big!
The usage will be mainly on a main loudspeaker system. Even though I use cans (HD600 || HD25Alu || Sine) for this I am interested mainly for speakers.
The headphone output is a great to have though (and with such features)!!
Anyway... sound wise against Qutest for speaker system ... if you may your comments please gentlemen!!
Thanks!!!

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #3,722 of 6,022
Hey guys so I'm thinking of getting the RME ADI 2-DAC FS. Only thing holding me back is I'm curious about how would it stack up against an R2R DAC. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I currently have the Hifiman Arya and I was thinking of pairing it with the RME ADI 2-DAC FS. Would anyone be able to share some insight on how it would sound and if they're a good match? Was also considering getting an A90 AMP to pair with the RME ADI 2-DAC FS and was wondering if that would pair well and if the upgrade is negligible or actually worth it.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #3,723 of 6,022
If there are any posts comparing them here I would appreciate to redirect me to them... I have read some pages but the thread is quite big!
The usage will be mainly on a main loudspeaker system. Even though I use cans (HD600 || HD25Alu || Sine) for this I am interested mainly for speakers.
The headphone output is a great to have though (and with such features)!!
Anyway... sound wise against Qutest for speaker system ... if you may your comments please gentlemen!!
Thanks!!!

Hey there I personally don't know much but I did see a youtube video yesterday for a direct comparison video featuring both the Chord Cutest and the RME ADI-2 DAC by an australian youtuber.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #3,726 of 6,022
It's in the manual. I believe from the Setup screen with a certain button dual button press.

Haven't done it for a while but that's what comes to mind.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #3,727 of 6,022
Hey guys so I'm thinking of getting the RME ADI 2-DAC FS. Only thing holding me back is I'm curious about how would it stack up against an R2R DAC. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I currently have the Hifiman Arya and I was thinking of pairing it with the RME ADI 2-DAC FS. Would anyone be able to share some insight on how it would sound and if they're a good match? Was also considering getting an A90 AMP to pair with the RME ADI 2-DAC FS and was wondering if that would pair well and if the upgrade is negligible or actually worth it.
It's one of the more musical DACs I have heard and I can't imagine it not being a good match with anything except for the fact you will want a separate amp for certain cans.

You probably can't generalize much about RME vs R2R. I'm sure not all R2R DACs sound the same. People who hear the Soekris find them a little dry sometimes, or clinical (resolving). Denefrips is said to be softer. My low-end Audio-gd is organic and very musical with good transients. Not sure well the RME or any dacamp at that price range would drive the Arya, looks like the sensitivity is pretty low.

The Violectrics have plenty enough grunt for the Arya and you could also look into a tube hybrid that has enough power.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #3,728 of 6,022
Hey guys, I have a question, do you know how to do factory reset, because after I played with Dac show up distortion and generally it start to sound much worth it was before, if the any body knows I’ll be really appreciate
Do you have the power cable inserted correctly. It's a locking plug.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #3,729 of 6,022
Darko also has his opinion on RME ADI-2 DAC fs versus Chord Qutest. Starts about 11:35.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #3,730 of 6,022
By the way I compared the stock power supply to the old version iFi iPower 12V and the latter is clearly better. Less digital glare, better defined bass. A no brainer upgrade in my opinion.

Now add these impressions of mine with Darko's review above, and I can assume that the ADI-2 DAC would come closer to the warmer tonality of the Qutest. For only +100 usd of the iPower, so still cheaper than the Qutest, while keeping all the other RME pros.

I am still waiting for my new version iFi iPower X 12V to arrive, I expect it should be a little better than the old version. I just hate that it is white and not black anymore....

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,731 of 6,022
Do you have the power cable inserted correctly. It's a locking plug.
I know what are you talking about, but I’m not sure about my cable, I got my unit through EBay, it was in perfect condition but seems to me power cable with out luck, when I’ll get home I’ll make sure, when I got Dac it sounded perfect but after I played.... , I just screwed up by myself and now just one way to fix it , I think, just reset it, thank you

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,732 of 6,022
If you are looking for an all in one that is going to save a lot of space on your desk, the ADI-2 is probably one of the best all rounders you can buy. Also I find the visualizer really helpful to make sense of music and really level up your own understanding of the frequencies you are hearing which leads to better EQing etc. Really good headphones like the ZMF Vérité Closed don't really need any EQ though, so also consider if you find your headphones lacking in any way where the RME's EQ can add value.

Since it seems that you are mainly using it for speakers and therefore will use a standalone amp, it may make more sense to get a Qutest or Bifrost2 (which is half as much as Qutest and is very well regarded). Reviews of these DACs in comparison to the RME highlight them both having more musicality and natural timbre.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,733 of 6,022
Dk604 I have the RME version 2 and MHDT Orchid. Both are very nice but different. I use both in a speaker system. The RME is very clean and detailed, Orchid has rolled off highs and can come across with deeper and fuller soundstage but can't dig as deep for detail or information. Orchid can also sound more natural or musical on some recordings. I did add a Teddy Pardo power supply on RME, it did help with soundstage, made it sound fuller, more musical and noise floor dropped which in turn help with detail, very worth the investment. The Orchid sounds good with less complex music but when things get busy things can fall apart. Not so with RME no matter how fast or complex music gets everything stays together. Can't beat all the features with the RME. I like both and would not be without either of them depending on what mood I'm in.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,734 of 6,022
By the way I compared the stock power supply to the old version iFi iPower 12V and the latter is clearly better. Less digital glare, better defined bass. A no brainer upgrade in my opinion.

I did add a Teddy Pardo power supply on RME, it did help with soundstage, made it sound fuller, more musical and noise floor dropped which in turn help with detail, very worth the investment.

How do you guys feel about the contrarians that say the power supply doesn't make a difference, like in this thread?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28734

For $100 I am tempted to get the iFi plug just to hear for myself, but curious your thoughts at how pronounced the change is and if you think you could tell in blind comparison

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #3,735 of 6,022
How do you guys feel about the contrarians that say the power supply doesn't make a difference, like in this thread?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28734

For $100 I am tempted to get the iFi plug just to hear for myself, but curious your thoughts at how pronounced the change is and if you think you could tell in blind comparison
I will not go into this objective vs subjective rabbit hole. As I said, in my opinion, the iPower X is a no brainer, highly recommended. I suggest you order it from somewhere that allows you to return it, and test it for yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back