RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,646 of 5,991
Hello everyone, it has been a while, still enjoying the ADI-2 a lot, but even with all my 'upgrades' to the transport and the psu something was still missing in my setup, it was like a meal without salt, and I think I've found my secret ingredient, and its free within the RME settings.

My setup now is the RME ADI-2 > A90 > HD820, and while the sound is amazing, on some tracks I wish it had a bit more body to it, and maybe be more musical (like my R-2R dac Project Box S FL).

Playing around within the menu I've found the 'Polarity' setting, had no clue what it did and if it had any effect on the sound. It turns out, at least in my setup, it was exactly what I was missing. I'm using Polarity- Both option. For me it adds a lot of body to the mids, makes the music flow better.

This is why I still love my ADI-2, with so many options to modify the sound you can discover something that completes your system. And its free within the options. I'm curious to see if this setting makes a difference for someone else like it did for me. Not sure if all will enjoy it, it sounds like a distortion of some kind, almost tube like, but for me it is very enjoyable.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,647 of 5,991
Playing around within the menu I've found the 'Polarity' setting, had no clue what it did and if it had any effect on the sound. It turns out, at least in my setup, it was exactly what I was missing. I'm using Polarity- Both option. For me it adds a lot of body to the mids, makes the music flow better.

Well... from the manual...

"Polarity (Phase Invert)
Available settings are Off, Both, Left and Right. Inverts the polarity on the corresponding channel."

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #3,648 of 5,991
Well... from the manual...

"Polarity (Phase Invert)
Available settings are Off, Both, Left and Right. Inverts the polarity on the corresponding channel."
That seams to imply that @linearly is listening out of phase (non-linearly) which will add distortion on properly mastered recordings. I would think some judicious use of the parametric EQ would give a lot better sound in every definable way.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,649 of 5,991
That seams to imply that @linearly is listening out of phase (non-linearly) which will add distortion on properly mastered recordings. I would think some judicious use of the parametric EQ would give a lot better sound in every definable way.

I don't get why to add such a functionality..

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #3,650 of 5,991
I don't get why to add such a functionality..
Because there are messed up recordings around and RME is a pro audio company. They just happen to have hit the jackpot with their hifi dacs. Being able to switch phase can make listening to some oddball recordings sound like they should.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #3,651 of 5,991
I searched frantically for ideas and resolution before posting, so here's an obligatory and shameful guy-who-doesn't-know-his-stuff post... But I'm getting some serious buzz from my Andromeda when there is no music playing. It does happen during playback, but I haven't figured out a pattern. My other IEMs seem quiet.

It's using an optical connection, so there's no USB buzz. The power supply is plugged into an outlet that's only shared with a lamp, though it is connected to a light switch (it's an old apartment, ya see). Not really sure where to go at this point. I'd even consider some over-priced widget, as long as it gets rid of the buzz (desperate laugh).

Unless the Andros are just that sensitive and - I can't imagine this is the case - I need to add an iEMatch, which defeats the purpose of the ADI-2. Though I would like an excuse to buy back my Element II... I appreciate any feedback, you guys rock! Hope you all are surviving the holiday season.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #3,652 of 5,991
unplug everything and then start plugging things in one at a time

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,654 of 5,991
As in PC peripherals (USB, etc.)? I have heard that monitors/displays can cause interference, so I can give that a shot.
Yeah, everything, and turn off every light in the house. I mean everything. Then try one at a time, process of elimination.

It could even turn out to be something outside your house :frowning2:

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,656 of 5,991
Good thing there are breaker panels!
Are you using the iem or headphone out?

Try the iem out

Yes andros are that sensitive you hear
nearly anywhere hiss when there is no music playing its the most sensitiv iem i know with 12ohm and
112 db per mw

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #3,657 of 5,991
Nope. A DAC, as it originally was at least, was something you fed a digital signal, and then it would output an analog signal via RCA, DIN, or maybe XLR into a pre-amp at line level. There were no controls, other than an on/off button, and maybe a filter switch.

The ADI 2 DAC has a volume control, not to mention EQ, and is capable of being connected to a power amp and/or powered speakers. That makes it a fully paid up member of the pre-amp club, albeit only for digital sources. It is however possible to operate the RME in a pure DAC mode which will bypass those controls.

I am currently using my RME as a DAC/Preamp into my Bryston 3b-st power amp. I guess I am curious as to what the settings should be, mainly the if AutoRef should be on or not and what the Ref Level should be set to. Anyone have any insight on this? Typically I was using it as a DAC going into my Phonitor X with AutoRef on and Ref level to +13 w/ volume at 0 since the Phonitor has its own volume control. Going to the Bryston though I am currently at +1 Ref level with AutoRef disabled and volume at -30 since I am using the know to attenuate the signal volume.

If I have autoRef on it sets the Ref Level down to -5 which is the lowest it goes.

Reason I am asking is because I am considering selling my Phonitor as its silly that its usually a pre-amp, most of my HFM cans go to the Bryston w/ the X as acting as preamp and the other cans (Senns mainly) go to the darkvoice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #3,658 of 5,991
If you use the RME as preamp then "auto ref" on gives you the best measuring results.

Auto ref off only makes sense if you want to avoid using the digital volume control. In this case you're left with the analogue reference levels only.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #3,659 of 5,991
I am currently using my RME as a DAC/Preamp into my Bryston 3b-st power amp. I guess I am curious as to what the settings should be, mainly the if AutoRef should be on or not and what the Ref Level should be set to. Anyone have any insight on this? Typically I was using it as a DAC going into my Phonitor X with AutoRef on and Ref level to +13 w/ volume at 0 since the Phonitor has its own volume control. Going to the Bryston though I am currently at +1 Ref level with AutoRef disabled and volume at -30 since I am using the know to attenuate the signal volume.

If I have autoRef on it sets the Ref Level down to -5 which is the lowest it goes.

Reason I am asking is because I am considering selling my Phonitor as its silly that its usually a pre-amp, most of my HFM cans go to the Bryston w/ the X as acting as preamp and the other cans (Senns mainly) go to the darkvoice.

Thanks!
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30931

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #3,660 of 5,991
Are you using the iem or headphone out?

Try the iem out

Yes andros are that sensitive you hear
nearly anywhere hiss when there is no music playing its the most sensitiv iem i know with 12ohm and
112 db per mw

Yep, definitely using IEM out (whole reason I got the unit was the supposed low noise). May have to revert to Element II after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back