RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,896 of 6,005
2. So I was interesting in a 2nd AC adapter to make moving the unit between two computers as easy as possible. The AC adapter direct from RME is $60! Is there anything special about it? Anyone know what a comparable unit would be?

Just order any piece of crap power supply from Amazon that meets the specs, and good luck.

Or maybe just buy the RME PSU which is specced exactly for the DAC. Honestly you've probably just paid the best part of $1000 for the DAC and if the $60 for a spare PSU is breaking the bank then maybe the DAC wasn't affordable for you in the first place.

I make no apologies if this seems rude as I've seen way too many people screw themselves financially through an expensive hobby simply because they had GAS and couldn't control it.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,897 of 6,005
BTW, I am using these with the HD600s. And while they are voiced massively differently than they were on the Compass (that deserves its own post) I don't think these are a bad match like several previous posters have said. My biggest issue is that they're pushing vocals way further back in the mix than I would like. It's almost like they brought out some of that mysterious Sennheiser Veil that people always complained about but I never really noticed. But considering I'm getting used to a new amp after literally a decade there would likely be some level of unlearning to do no matter what.

If you hear a veil, if they sound lifeless or strange, this is exactly what I said. The RME doesn't drive them well. You seem to be agreeing with that rather than disagreeing, but I'll leave the conclusion to you :wink:

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,898 of 6,005
But what did you mean when you said that "this is old news"? He did not claim to bring us the news that a new version of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is available.

Really? Bold type and link to a review? Somebody reading this who doesn't know the history could find it very confusing. Sorry, that post really hit me the wrong way.

Update Adi-2 DAC Version 1 to Version 2:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,899 of 6,005
Just upgraded to an ADI-2 DAC from an original Compass. I've been away from the hobby for a while but when searching for a good combo unit for work kind of went off the deep end. Also have a couple headphones in the mail. RIP my wallet.

Anyways, two quick questions!

1. How long does it take to get used to a digital volume control? I honestly am finding it a little disconcerting. I'm used to knowing exactly where on the dial safe and unsafe listening levels are, and what I'm getting at each position. I just feel a little lost with a digital volume control, but as a side effect I find myself listening at much lower levels (-39dB) which I guess is a plus. These are also massively better than the Compass at lower listening levels which I guess is also its own post.

2. So I was interesting in a 2nd AC adapter to make moving the unit between two computers as easy as possible. The AC adapter direct from RME is $60! Is there anything special about it? Anyone know what a comparable unit would be?

BTW, I am using these with the HD600s. And while they are voiced massively differently than they were on the Compass (that deserves its own post) I don't think these are a bad match like several previous posters have said. My biggest issue is that they're pushing vocals way further back in the mix than I would like. It's almost like they brought out some of that mysterious Sennheiser Veil that people always complained about but I never really noticed. But considering I'm getting used to a new amp after literally a decade there would likely be some level of unlearning to do no matter what.
I heard often that the adi dont pair well with sennheisers

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,900 of 6,005
No. What you heard is approximately 2 people going on and on and on about how they personally didn't like the sound they heard from that combination. Let's not blow it up into some great divine truth because it really isn't.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,901 of 6,005
Or maybe just buy the RME PSU which is specced exactly for the DAC. Honestly you've probably just paid the best part of $1000 for the DAC and if the $60 for a spare PSU is breaking the bank then maybe the DAC wasn't affordable for you in the first place.

I make no apologies if this seems rude as I've seen way too many people screw themselves financially through an expensive hobby simply because they had GAS and couldn't control it.

Replacing an original Compass, almost a decade old at this point, into HD600s, which are ~10 years old. Yep, out of control GAS :xf_rolleyes:

If you hear a veil, if they sound lifeless or strange, this is exactly what I said. The RME doesn't drive them well. You seem to be agreeing with that rather than disagreeing, but I'll leave the conclusion to you :wink:

So there is a big difference between "veiled" and "lifeless or strange". First, there is a lot that they do right. They are incredibly detailed in the low to low/mid frequency region. They are superb at low volumes, I can enjoy the music amazingly well listening to them at -39dB which for the health of my ears means it's likely a keeper. I wouldn't call the sounds "lifeless" at all, it's just the emphasis is in a very different part of the FR curve now, or rather the FR of the discreet op-amp of the Compass is being removed. Did a quick google search to see if I could find a measurement of the Compass to confirm this but failed. There is also some level of "untraining" considering my primary setup has been stable for about 7 years. Also need to play around with the 'loudness' feature to see if that can have a positive impact here.

About not having enough power for the HD600/HD650 though, that is very strange. Into a 300 ohm headphone the current needs should be well below the current-limiting circuitry of the ADI-2 given their sensitivity. If they truly don't pair well, which I still haven't passed judgement on, it's likely something else.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,902 of 6,005
ADI-2 drives my HD650 and HD800s with no issues and sounds great as well.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #2,903 of 6,005
Replacing an original Compass, almost a decade old at this point, into HD600s, which are ~10 years old. Yep, out of control GAS :xf_rolleyes:

So there is a big difference between "veiled" and "lifeless or strange". First, there is a lot that they do right. They are incredibly detailed in the low to low/mid frequency region. They are superb at low volumes, I can enjoy the music amazingly well listening to them at -39dB which for the health of my ears means it's likely a keeper. I wouldn't call the sounds "lifeless" at all, it's just the emphasis is in a very different part of the FR curve now, or rather the FR of the discreet op-amp of the Compass is being removed. Did a quick google search to see if I could find a measurement of the Compass to confirm this but failed. There is also some level of "untraining" considering my primary setup has been stable for about 7 years. Also need to play around with the 'loudness' feature to see if that can have a positive impact here.

About not having enough power for the HD600/HD650 though, that is very strange. Into a 300 ohm headphone the current needs should be well below the current-limiting circuitry of the ADI-2 given their sensitivity. If they truly don't pair well, which I still haven't passed judgement on, it's likely something else.

The HD 600 and friends probably need more voltage than current. The RME DAC does a great job with my LCD-2C. The HD 600 and 800 sound like they should out of an OTL amp or solid state amp that swings enough voltage.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,904 of 6,005
The HD 600 and friends probably need more voltage than current. The RME DAC does a great job with my LCD-2C. The HD 600 and 800 sound like they should out of an OTL amp or solid state amp that swings enough voltage.

Thanks for the reply. From what I gather from the spec sheet the ADI-2 will put out up to 1.73V in low-power mode, and up to 10V in high-powered mode, and I assume current limited at high output to 1.5W.

How does this compare to solid state amps that people think are good with the HD600/HD650?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,905 of 6,005
Thanks for the reply. From what I gather from the spec sheet the ADI-2 will put out up to 1.73V in low-power mode, and up to 10V in high-powered mode, and I assume current limited at high output to 1.5W.

How does this compare to solid state amps that people think are good with the HD600/HD650?

I am not sure about the minimum which sounds good. I have a Meier Corda Jazz-ff which does a very good job. I just checked the site and found this comment " Maximum output voltage JAZZ-FF 15 V @ 200 Hz"

For my 600 and 800 I normally now use a Violectric V280. Not sure what the max. output is but it is very powerful. The 600s are driven well enough by a Valhalla 2 but the midrange with the stock tubes is not very good. I'm not sure where the problem is, I don't use that amp much.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,906 of 6,005
Soooo....... I was moving some things around in my office, packing my the Drop LCX that was replaced by my ADI-2. Somehow I managed to plug in the power supply from The LCX instead of the correct one. With the correct one plugged in, all I get is a blinking red around the power button. What do I do now (besides reach out to support)?

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,907 of 6,005
Soooo....... I was moving some things around in my office, packing my the Drop LCX that was replaced by my ADI-2. Somehow I managed to plug in the power supply from The LCX instead of the correct one. With the correct one plugged in, all I get is a blinking red around the power button. What do I do now (besides reach out to support)?

What voltage is the LCX power supply?

Don't forget, the RME connector has to click and lock, you should turn it while pushing gently. Then hold down the power button, maybe it will reset. If not, ask on the RME forums.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,908 of 6,005
i think it was push volume knob and knob 1 for 3 seconds to reset but in the manual you can find it

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #2,909 of 6,005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back