RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,446 of 5,997
:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

What the …

… ist this?
It's the RME ADI-2 recapped.
Stock 16 volt Nichicon caps replaced with Mundorf Ecap 70 Capacitors.
Sounds unbelievable, still need to install a top box to house these caps in permanently.
Stock RME presents a flat audio image, this MOD makes it 3D with real organic Depth. Stock sounds very sterile in comparison, this brings emotionality and texture to all instruments. Caps are still burning in.......But I am more satisfied than I could have ever hoped to be.

May 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,447 of 5,997
It's the RME ADI-2 recapped.
Stock 16 volt Nichicon caps replaced with Mundorf Ecap 70 Capacitors.
Sounds unbelievable, still need to install a top box to house these caps in permanently.
Stock RME presents a flat audio image, this MOD makes it 3D with real organic Depth. Stock sounds very sterile in comparison, this brings emotionality and texture to all instruments. Caps are still burning in.......But I am more satisfied than I could have ever hoped to be.

So, how's the warranty with RME then?

Nice work :wink:

May 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,448 of 5,997
So, how's the warranty with RME then?

Nice work :wink:
warranty...? :)
I am not looking to sell, and if anything happens, I am more than capable to doing the repairs :)
Doesn't even sound like the same DAC, emotional engagement, musicality, depth/extension of stage, textures, cohesiveness of the audio image are real standouts, and these capacitors have another 400 plus hours of break in. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #2,449 of 5,997
Wow EQ'd my Layla's on the RME using the 2 o'clock setting from that site and its unbelievable the difference. I was perfectly happy with them before but it was like a huge veil was lifted, the mids were brought forward and going back to the straight flat setting i had it on all this time sounds so muffled now. Thanks for that link.
I'm glad the link helped. I think it's a great starting point for EQ settings, and they've covered numerous headphones. Whoever does that website, is providing a terrific service to the audio community.

May 24, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #2,450 of 5,997
Good grief is the SE output on the ADI-2 FS good!

IMG_0419.jpg

May 24, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,451 of 5,997
May 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,452 of 5,997
Wow I just eqed another pair of IEMs using the link as a reference. I was against EQing before but now I am looking for the rest of my cans on the list. Thank you again. This is an amazing link.
Looking at the EQ parameters, he gives a list of 10. How do you decide which 5 to use?

May 24, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #2,453 of 5,997
Looking at the EQ parameters, he gives a list of 10. How do you decide which 5 to use?

They state that the first 5 filters can be used independently, so I'm assuming that means the last 5 filters should be used in conjunction. I'd probably use the first five filters, but you can try both the first 5 and the last 5 and see what works better.

May 24, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,454 of 5,997
They state that the first 5 filters can be used independently, so I'm assuming that means the last 5 filters should be used in conjunction. I'd probably use the first five filters, but you can try both the first 5 and the last 5 and see what works better.
Got it, I was playing around with the HD600 settings. I was mixing and matching them instead of grouping them. As others have said, the HD600’s just don’t sound very good out of the ADI-2 FS. That’s why I was trying different things to improve their sound.

May 24, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2,455 of 5,997
Got it, I was playing around with the HD600 settings. I was mixing and matching them instead of grouping them. As others have said, the HD600’s just don’t sound very good out of the ADI-2 FS. That’s why I was trying different things to improve their sound.
Its so odd. Everything ..... I mean EVERYTHING in my collection sounds absolutely amazing out of the RME but neither of my sennhiesers sound even acceptable. I have the RME also connected to my Darkvoice and that sounds amazing with sennhiesers but not straight through the RME.

May 24, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #2,456 of 5,997
Its so odd. Everything ..... I mean EVERYTHING in my collection sounds absolutely amazing out of the RME but neither of my sennhiesers sound even acceptable. I have the RME also connected to my Darkvoice and that sounds amazing with sennhiesers but not straight through the RME.
I’m having the same experience going through my collection. I’m amazed at how good the RME is and that’s with the TT2 sitting right beside it. Outside of my harder to drive headphones, my HD600’s have absolutely zero synergy with the RME. I can’t put a finger on it.

May 25, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #2,457 of 5,997

I have 11 bands of EQ available with my ADI-2 based setup...

i-qWSfN7G.jpg

5 standard + bass/treble knobs (2) + Loki (4)... of course the Loki bands are set at 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, and 8kHz...

Mainly have it paired with either a Garage 1217 Project Ember or Project Polaris... the Ember gives that separation and holographic presentation you only get from tube amps (especially with a CIFTE 12AU7 tube) while the Polaris give more punch and snap with warmth and full bodied sound. Headphones are modded TH-X00 Purplehearts, closed back modded HD58X, or modded Koss Porta Pros.

Run Eq on my setup as follows:

Foobar2K:
55Hz, +3
77Hz, +1

RME ADI-2:
low shelf, 57Hz, +3.5dB, Q1.1
Bass knob 82Hz, +1.5dB, Q1.3

Loki:
20Hz knob - little less than 2 o'clock
400 Hz knob - ~ 11 o'clock
2kHz knob - ~ 1o'clock
8kHz knob - little more than 1 o'clock

May 25, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,458 of 5,997

A tube OTL is the best way to do that. Same for the 800/800S

May 25, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #2,459 of 5,997
So far I’m finding the RME ADI-2 FS superb with my Audeze LCD-4z’s, Audio-Technica ATH-R70x’s, and Hifiman HE1000se’s. Not so great with my Abyss Diana Phi’s. The headphone output on it is better my GIlmore Lite Mk2 and Burson Fun. Compared to my Hugo 2 as all-in-one, I prefer richest and tone of the ADI-2 FS. As a DAC only, I prefer the detail retrieval, clarity, and transparency of the Hugo 2. The TT2 is a few steps ahead of both performance wise. I can’t really say it’s quadruple the price better than what you get from the RME ADI-2 FS.

Needless to say, I’m really impressed with the RME ADI-2 FS. It’s going to replace some of my gear for sure.
With the Diana's, do you prefer the Hugo 2 (non TT) or the RME?
Currently have the Hugo 2, debating the RME to replace it. Have the Diana V2 but might switch it to the Phi soon.

May 25, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #2,460 of 5,997
With the Diana's, do you prefer the Hugo 2 (non TT) or the RME?
Currently have the Hugo 2, debating the RME to replace it. Have the Diana V2 but might switch it to the Phi soon.
The Diana Phi’s sounds under powered when driven directly out of both. They need some power to sound their best. Either one of them in DAC mode connected to a power amp will get you better results. I have the RME connected to my Burson Timekeeper, connected to an HE-Adapter. I’ve never heard the Diana Phi’s and my Susvara sound so good.

The RME as a preamp is stellar and I prefer it over the Hugo 2 in that regard. The RME as a headphone amp gets the nod as well over the Hugo 2. The RME is more musical and works with a wider variety of headphones. Like I said before, it probably has the best SE output that I’ve heard on a amp. Add in the adjustments and tweaks you can do with the RME and that makes it very hard to beat.

The Hugo 2 has the flexibility of being a transportable. So, it serves a different purpose. I also like the Hugo 2 as a DAC/amp for darker sounding headphones and tube amps. It’s brighter, transparent nature offsets their warmth for the ultimate blend of musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back