RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 26, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,476 of 6,005
I used to do EQ adjustments with Foobar but it seems software-based EQ introduces noise. Foobar is still my primary music player but I do not enable EQ on it since I noticed a slight whistling noise on the low frequencies. Now I let the RME do all the EQ adjustments and run the output XLR out to the THX amp which let's it all go through clearly and clean.
The HD58X Jubilees are one of the best bargain Sennheisers IMO. How did you mod them?

Hate to break it to you, but the RME's EQ is, wait for it, software based. It might use a FPGA to perform the EQ, but it's still software based.

The quality of SW based EQ is not down to the fact that it's software, but down to the algorithm used. Most if not all music today and remastered older recordings have been EQ'd in the studio using software.

May 26, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,477 of 6,005
Hate to break it to you, but the RME's EQ is, wait for it, software based. It might use a FPGA to perform the EQ, but it's still software based.

The quality of SW based EQ is not down to the fact that it's software, but down to the algorithm used. Most if not all music today and remastered older recordings have been EQ'd in the studio using software.

Is the Loki hardware based?

May 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,479 of 6,005
May 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,480 of 6,005
No problem, thanks for the explanation, I should have stated my experience with anomalies in EQ'ing were from some software products running on Windows platform. RME's programming is working very well for me and I appreciate the fine adjustments it allows. Also glad they provide regular firmware support/updates.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,481 of 6,005
There are engineering tradeoffs in everything. DSP is nice because it's in the digital domain and you can do things totally impossible or impractical in the analog domain. OTOH DSP is totally out of the picture in an analog chain so each has its own place. And analog anything is inherently lossy and adds some kind of distortion whether you can hear it or not.

For our discussion (RME DAC) DSP is the way to go.

May 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,482 of 6,005
There are engineering tradeoffs in everything. DSP is nice because it's in the digital domain and you can do things totally impossible or impractical in the analog domain. OTOH DSP is totally out of the picture in an analog chain so each has its own place. And analog anything is inherently lossy and adds some kind of distortion whether you can hear it or not.

For our discussion (RME DAC) DSP is the way to go.
I'm getting very good results using the EQ in the RME. I was primarily using the Loki before I got the RME. So to me, they both seem to have their place as I find them both to very functional in my different setups.

May 27, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #2,483 of 6,005
I also own the RME ADI-2. An absolutely outstanding unit! Price/performance unbeaten. There are 1 million possible settings. Bass/Trebel controls, Loundness, EQ, everything your heart desires. The EQ is very good, so you can eliminate possible weaknesses with certain headphones.

Power more than enough. Think is a very neutral amplifier. I've looked at many, even in a much higher price range, but haven't found one I would buy right now. I've looked at the new Burson, but I don't think it's worth the double price. What I would still like to have is a good tube amp. But I don't know what to pick, there's a lot of choices. Again the advantage of the RME is that you can use it as a converter.

But I am more than satisfied with the sound with all my headphones. More would be luxury.

I think the problem with RME is that they don't have a "name" on high end and they are more for professional studios. Also optically rather study and not home hifi. But everyone who has it, raves about it. But in the high-end circles in Europe you don't read anything about it. There it must cost many thousands of dollars and have a good sounding name! Unfortunately it is so.

IMG_0768.jpegIMG_0776.jpeg

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #2,485 of 6,005
I got mine this morning. It sounds amazing I wonder if the DAC need burn in?
Not sure, but I'm burning mine in along with the new Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT's I just got at the same time with some pink noise.

May 28, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,486 of 6,005
If you can hear the burn-in on solid state devices you have a bright future in high-end audio sales :D

May 28, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,487 of 6,005
If you can hear the burn-in on solid state devices you have a bright future in high-end audio sales :D
Lol, I just hit play and leave them playing while I’m at work. I’m not sure that it’s actually doing anything, but I’m accumulating hours on it either way as I see it.

May 28, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,488 of 6,005
Lol, I just hit play and leave them playing while I’m at work. I’m not sure that it’s actually doing anything, but I’m accumulating hours on it either way as I see it.
That's what I do too. I figure it can't hurt to let them "warm-up/break-in" for a while before getting overly excited on how things sound straight out of the box. I do periodic auditioning during the break in period and do notice that things sound more stabilized afterwards. Not sure if it's brain burn-in too...LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back