RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,833 of 5,998
@relevate,

To echo @Luckbad, a good powerboard will also reduce any potential electrical noise though the ADI 2 Series already has good filtering in place.

Hope you both have a great day !

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,834 of 5,998
Can you recommend a particular linear power supply for that?
The dac is fairly good at cleaning power internally, but power supply does matter. I use a sealed lead-acid battery (12v, 17Ah) which lasts more than one day, probably 2 days, so I charge when I sleep. Cost of battery + charger was around $100 in total.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,835 of 5,998
Wow were did you snatch that quote from? Actually now I do intend to get a better amp and premium used amps are coming in for less and less nowadays.
Fwiw, I have been enjoying the Mjolnir2 more regularly than the THX. Not exactly new information that I haven't shared already but, an update on my situation with the THX vs Mj2.

If I'm casually listening (background listening while studying, working etc), the Mjolnir 2 is the far more pleasing amp and it actually draws my attention to the music more often than the THX. If I'm casually listening on the THX it kinda just goes unnoticed in the background. Something about the Mj2 just wants me to be engaged when it's playing.

On the other hand, if I'm actively/critically listening, I do find the detail capability of the THX to be superior, especially treble discernment against the super black-ground of the THX.

Again, I think the Verite is a bit too relaxed to be optimally paired with the THX for casual listening enjoyment. The engaging mids of the Mj2 are simply more desirable than the increase in resolve from the THX. The increased resolution is mostly noticeable when actively listening for it, where as passively it goes unnoticed.

If I was to move to a new solution beyond Mj2/THX, I think I'd be in your camp, looking at the V281 or the GSX-mini.

But I'm half tempted to keep the THX and go for a BHC+SB again and get some really sweet/lush rolls in with it.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,836 of 5,998
Hello! :o2smile: Some questions, I want to get the ADI-2, since I have an LCD-2 on the way, and I don't know if anyone has tried this device with a tablet, specifically the Galaxt Tab S5e. As the main equipment it occupies my PC and secondary, it moves this tablet by USB with Tidal. My question is whether they know if everything will be fine? will I miss something? Will I have any noise or interference from being a tablet? I hope someone has some similar experience and can guide me. Greetings from Chile and excuse my English :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,837 of 5,998
The dac is fairly good at cleaning power internally, but power supply does matter. I use a sealed lead-acid battery (12v, 17Ah) which lasts more than one day, probably 2 days, so I charge when I sleep. Cost of battery + charger was around $100 in total.

Do you have a link to this specific battery you have? And so you're running the RME strictly on battery power, no AC power supply, correct?

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,838 of 5,998
Do you have a link to this specific battery you have? And so you're running the RME strictly on battery power, no AC power supply, correct?
Lots of places sells them, for example here: https://batterymarket.eu/en/panasonic-12v-17ah-lead-acid-battery-lc-xd1217pg-vrla
Internal resistance is 12 milli ohm, which is important for a power supply, although might not be that crucial for a DAC.

But any 12v 15+Ah will work, I would stay away from batteries that has control electronics in them though, like a lot of LiFePo4 batteries has.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,839 of 5,998
Fwiw, I have been enjoying the Mjolnir2 more regularly than the THX. Not exactly new information that I haven't shared already but, an update on my situation with the THX vs Mj2.

If I'm casually listening (background listening while studying, working etc), the Mjolnir 2 is the far more pleasing amp and it actually draws my attention to the music more often than the THX. If I'm casually listening on the THX it kinda just goes unnoticed in the background. Something about the Mj2 just wants me to be engaged when it's playing.

On the other hand, if I'm actively/critically listening, I do find the detail capability of the THX to be superior, especially treble discernment against the super black-ground of the THX.

Again, I think the Verite is a bit too relaxed to be optimally paired with the THX for casual listening enjoyment. The engaging mids of the Mj2 are simply more desirable than the increase in resolve from the THX. The increased resolution is mostly noticeable when actively listening for it, where as passively it goes unnoticed.

If I was to move to a new solution beyond Mj2/THX, I think I'd be in your camp, looking at the V281 or the GSX-mini.

But I'm half tempted to keep the THX and go for a BHC+SB again and get some really sweet/lush rolls in with it.
I guess it goes back to my feeling here is that neither amp is absolutely better than the other, just different flavors. Which is cool too. I think with the Verite maybe something like a GSX mini or V281 on the SS side or a Pendant, Woo WA 22 on the tube side might do just as well. I would be more inclined to get a really good tube amp like those because while I may want the lush, I wouldn't want to lose any of the detail the Verite are cable of with some of the lower end tube amps.

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,840 of 5,998
Yea it’s not really anything to worry about. Your version is just as good as the refreshed one on an actually-audible-level. New remote looks nice, but you can buy that separately I believe. Enjoy your device, it’s a good one!

Awesome, the new remote will allow you to recall eq curves...a quick firmware update and in all set!....Thanks

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,841 of 5,998
Hello! :o2smile: Some questions, I want to get the ADI-2, since I have an LCD-2 on the way, and I don't know if anyone has tried this device with a tablet, specifically the Galaxt Tab S5e. As the main equipment it occupies my PC and secondary, it moves this tablet by USB with Tidal. My question is whether they know if everything will be fine? will I miss something? Will I have any noise or interference from being a tablet? I hope someone has some similar experience and can guide me. Greetings from Chile and excuse my English :L3000:

Hola amigo. I can't answer about running from a tablet but I can confirm the ADI-2 and the LCD-2C is a very happy marriage :D

If USB OTG works I don't expect any noise or interference.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,842 of 5,998
I get some noise from USB when using the RME + external tube amps. It’s the usb from my computer though as I get no noise from the usb on my MacBook Pro. Also the noise is killed out by most solid state amps, only the tubeys seem to pass it along.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #1,843 of 5,998
That does not sound like what he is talking about. I guess he means to run headphones right off the RME.

As far as your issue, try running the amp with different cables and from a different wall socket than the computer.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,845 of 5,998
Hi! thanks for your help. I am really a maniac with noise ajaja my idea is to have as little as possible in this travel configuration, ADI-2 -> Android tablet -> USB OTG -> LCD-2 If someone else were to occupy something similar, I would appreciate your comments
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back