RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,816 of 5,991
Some info from the manual. What mode is recommended?

Band 1. Peak, Shelf, High Cut or High Pass (Low Cut)?
All filters are adjustable from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 9.9. Cut/Pass have a fixed 12 dB/oct filter steepness.

Band 5 Type Available settings are Peak, Shelf or High Cut. High Cut is adjustable from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 and a fixed 12 dB/oct steepness.

Band 1-5 Q Quality factor is adjustable from 0.5 to 9.9 in bands 1 to 3, and 0.5 to 5.0 in bands 4 and 5, in steps of 0.1 dB. This equals a bandwidth setting of 2.54 (0.5), 0.29 (5.0) and 0.

Also what is safe levels. 6 db increase/decrease max would be considered safe?

Peak filters are going to be used to increase/decrease a specific region. Say your headphones have a dip at 3khz, you would add a peak filter that boosts the 3khz range.

The Q factor; adjusts how wide/narrow the peak filter is applied. The higher the Q value, the narrower the peak, and the lower the wider. For example if you have a peak filter at 3khz, with a really low Q factor, it will extend the peak further towards ~1khz and ~5khz. If you use a really high Q factor it will keep the peak narrower on 3khz, extending only to ~2.5khz and 3.5khz.

A Shelf adds either a boost or cut to an entire region up to, or past, that point. So if I want to boost the entire bass frequency from 0hz to 200hz, I could add a shelf at 200hz with +2.0db, and it will raise everything up to 200hz by 2.0db.

The PEQ on the RME seems daunting at first but it's really quite manageable with the manual and a little tinkering.

I'd love to offer more assistance if you stumble setting up your desired EQ.

For your specific headphone needs, you'll want to boost any frequencies that has a big dip, and lower any frequencies with big spikes.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,817 of 5,991
Nice, maybe do a tutorial video? I watched the RME official video but my eyes glazed over :D

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,818 of 5,991
Nice, maybe do a tutorial video? I watched the RME official video but my eyes glazed over :D

There is a specific one on EQ. It's very easy to follow. If your eyes glaze over watching that... some questions need to be asked, and not about RME. :) Kidding. But it should be alright if you watch it a couple of times.

This is the 5:34 one, better than the 3 minute video:

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,819 of 5,991
I think I saw the 3 minute one but I'm not sure. I just don't get all the button turning and pushing. If your eyes didn't glaze over I can only conclude you are a spy for RME :D

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,820 of 5,991
I had to watch it quite a few times before I got things down, I still am a little fuzzy on the eq stuff but im getting the desirable sound ! I do like the RME through the LYR 3... Bit of warmth. Switching back and forth the RME head amp is more accurate .

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,821 of 5,991
If you have a basic understanding of how EQ works, it definitely helps you understand how to build an EQ on the RME. But yea with a little time the RME isn't too bad to navigate.

I also find the RME to be more exacting than the Lyr 3. Stage of the Lyr 3 is bigger though, and a more robust/powerful sound.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,823 of 5,991
This hobby is going to kill me, I purchased my RME 3 months ago and now they decide to update the DAC. Think I have deeper issues, I just have to have the next best thing!
Oh well, so who is going to do a comparison review ?
Honestly, the audible differences between the two will be microscopic. I personally wouldn't bother getting the new model if you already have the original.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,825 of 5,991
This hobby is going to kill me, I purchased my RME 3 months ago and now they decide to update the DAC. Think I have deeper issues, I just have to have the next best thing!
Oh well, so who is going to do a comparison review ?
Yea it’s not really anything to worry about. Your version is just as good as the refreshed one on an actually-audible-level. New remote looks nice, but you can buy that separately I believe. Enjoy your device, it’s a good one!

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,826 of 5,991
Yeah I see amps like the Violectric V281 and just think hmmm, but so far as right now, its a little overkill for me unless I do get that Susvara. But would a revealing HP like a Utopia need something like that as an amp?
Don't underestimate the impact of a good amp, it makes a real difference in sound, even for mid-range cans.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,828 of 5,991
Just placed my order with Quivers. Will ship Dec. 16. Price $1149.00 USD plus tax & free shipping.

Congrats!

It kills me how you guys in the U.S. get EU-made products for the same price as here (after conversion) and we get U.S. products for 15-30% more... it's almost like there's a one-way free trade agreement. :)

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,830 of 5,991
Don't underestimate the impact of a good amp, it makes a real difference in sound, even for mid-range cans.
Wow were did you snatch that quote from? Actually now I do intend to get a better amp and premium used amps are coming in for less and less nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back