1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

RME ADI-2 DAC Thread

First

Back
111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
122 123 124 125 126 127
Next

Last
  1. CaptainFantastic
    Just wanted to say that I run my HD-600 and HD-650 with the ADI-2 and, personally, I do not hear any hot treble. Compared to the m900 and Mojo, the Sennheisers are clearer (not bright) and with a bit more impact on the RME.

linearly likes this.
  2. bryceu
    I’ve never got the notion of hot treble from the RME. I also wouldn’t describe the sound as soft/silky. The AMP portion of the RME is not going to be as refined and crisp as the actual output of the DAC due to its limitations as an amp, but if hooked up to something revealing like a THX amp, I don’t think the RME is not soft at all, but also not harsh in the least. Compared to Schiit Multibit (not Sabre obviously but still), the RME is more refined and crisp.

3. gimmeheadroom
    I would definitely recommend running the RME off USB. Optical and coax cut off at 24/192. I use Foobar to play SACD rips and USB can do DSD easily.

You can surely brighten up the RME because it has DSP EQ. I did not mean to say the RME is clearer or better in any way than the Oppo. I have not tried to make a critical comparison. The Oppo 205 is deadly clear. But the RME has impressed me as being extremely musical yet not coloring anything.

The Audeze LCD-2C I have gets along superbly with the RME. The HD 25s were out of this world considering what they are. I think some headphones just get along better with certain amps. I have several other headamps but I haven't tried to run the RME into them.

Agreed.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    linearly likes this.
  4. oqvist
    Only responsible for the first quote :)

5. gimmeheadroom
    Sorry, fixed, thanks :)

6. robm321
    Whoa! I wasn't aware of optical and coax being limited. Good to know.

7. Tennessee
    It's not chip sound but it's implementation I have three akm dacs and rme sounds the softest. It's also not amp HP section becouse I run them into high end amp. I use rme only for speakers or cans that I know are too analitical.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. XERO1
    Light - Man likes this.
  9. dc71
    What filter do you use? I was using the slow filter, but found that others firmed up the dynamics and transient attack, I guess meaning that in my system the slow filter sounds relatively softer/less punchy I've settled on SD slow filter as the best sounding in my system.

I run Adi 2 DAC directly into Mackie hr624 MK2 speakers and it sounds great. It replaced a chord Qutest as I need the EQ to correct some bass modes in my room.

10. gimmeheadroom
    I think you could probably spend a lot of time listening to one album or one track and pick the best filter for it. I'm leaving mine on the default because it is a good default and anyway I don't like to spend time monkeying with settings. But I admit the other night when my HD 600s were drilling holes in my skull from treble I found Slow help tame it. But not enough...so off to the headphone shop we go :D

11. Tennessee
    I use sharp and SD sharp, becouse they have best dynamics and timbre, but with something like your speakers I would be using slow or NOS.

12. oqvist
    I am starting to investigate the settings for this. I am not a tweaker so it´s really quite scary. I have this manual https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

Now is there a rme adi-2 for dummies :D

I played with the balance controls and just that was quite effective and had very much the desired effect. I put treble to +6 and it really did bring the flutes forward listening to Dana Dragomir. I thought they where a bit recessed on my current headphones. I don´t see exactly which frequencies is adjusted by treble vs bass controls? Does treble also include the midrange?
    Next step is understanding how to use the equalizer. I do have a behringer deq 2496 but it´s redundant by now I suppose? Dunno if it´s easier to operate it has even more knobs but it´s cool since it also got a microphone. There is a reason I never used it...

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro//report/hp/kennerton/kennerton-magni/kennerton-magni_def.png
    with such a frequency response how would you eq it in the rme with the goal neutrality?

greyscale75 likes this.
  13. gimmeheadroom
    I guess the obvious thing to do would be to eq in the reverse direction of the frequency response chart with the intent of getting everything to 0.

I tried something similar last night with my new Fostex TR-X00 and it worked pretty well. TBH I still have no clue about how to use the EQ settings. Somebody who actually figured it out could probably do it in 2 minutes.

14. oqvist
    Some info from the manual. What mode is recommended?

Band 1. Peak, Shelf, High Cut or High Pass (Low Cut)?
    All filters are adjustable from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 9.9. Cut/Pass have a fixed 12 dB/oct filter steepness.

Band 5 Type Available settings are Peak, Shelf or High Cut. High Cut is adjustable from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 and a fixed 12 dB/oct steepness.

Band 1-5 Q Quality factor is adjustable from 0.5 to 9.9 in bands 1 to 3, and 0.5 to 5.0 in bands 4 and 5, in steps of 0.1 dB. This equals a bandwidth setting of 2.54 (0.5), 0.29 (5.0) and 0.

Also what is safe levels. 6 db increase/decrease max would be considered safe?

15. gimmeheadroom
    Like I said, I have no idea :frowning2:

I just kept pushing and turning until I got what I wanted :D I had a sense that the headphones had a V and I made the shape in the reverse of what I was hearing and it worked pretty well. It's great that the DAC has the option to turn EQ on and off quickly without losing the setting so you can make a good comparison.

So for the Fostex I was listening to I left the bass alone, I increased the midrange, and decreased the treble just slightly, just watching the curve on the EQ screens.

There is no unsafe level as long as you don't blow your brains out or hear distortion.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    oqvist likes this.
First

Back
111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
122 123 124 125 126 127
Next

Last