RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 5, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #5,941 of 5,993
Can someone confirm if the ADI-2 works with newer iPhone/iPads with their usb-c directly to usb-c (no camera kit cable)?

If it works: will it provide iTunes master quality?

I'm looking to pick up a used model (got a seller nearby) but need to have this confirmed first as I'll use my iPhone as source! :)
I had never tried my iPhone into the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, so I just gave it a try. It worked just fine. I'm using a USB-C to USB-2.0, which is the USB input type RME requires. For me, an adapter was needed.

In terms of resolution, I don't have any high-res files on my iPhone. Maybe others can confirm.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #5,944 of 5,993
Hey everybody.
Is it possible to attenuate the volume of the AES output of RME ADI 2 pro fs r ? I know this is the DAC thread, but i couldn`t find specific one for the FS.

PS : I want to use two of the analog outputs for my analog gear and the other one for the monitors, and the AES out for another set of monitors that are fed digitally.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #5,945 of 5,993
I've started to hear about reclockers. I haven't had time to read up about them yet but would the ADI-2 benefit from one or is it good enough as is? The 'blurb' talks a lot about the care they've taken with clocking so I'm guessing it's not necessary but I wondered what you think?

Likewise with DDCs, overkill with a device like this? (I'm running USB from computer to ADI-2 via Excalibur cable)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #5,946 of 5,993
What will give me the most bang for my buck, Feliks Audio Echo MKII or Violectric 222? as it is now I'm happy with what the RME headpfone amp gives me with my HD800s, but I read here on the forum that RME' headphopne amp is crap compared to these amplifiers, is it really worth spending 1000$ more on an amplifier that so many people recommend?

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #5,947 of 5,993
What will give me the most bang for my buck, Feliks Audio Echo MKII or Violectric 222? as it is now I'm happy with what the RME headpfone amp gives me with my HD800s, but I read here on the forum that RME' headphopne amp is crap compared to these amplifiers, is it really worth spending 1000$ more on an amplifier that so many people recommend?
Don't believe everything you read. If you are happy, let it go. I use the RME ADI-2 FS as a DAC and I have a Flux FA 10 as my amp but only because I listen to a lot of Film Scores that have crazy dynamics,. It does depend on the type of music you listen to, The RME has a hardware EQ which is way better than software. I'm not sure that it will make a huge difference with the 800s. You'll have to go up another notch in headphones to hear much,. Of course, this is just my personal experience.
Also there is always going to be someone say that this amp is better or that DAC or this cable or power supply and that is fine as long as you're willing to spend money and not be surprised if that there's not the life changing improvement when you do. If you're happy be happy!!!

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #5,949 of 5,993
If you want warmer sound go for tubes. High impedance headphones sound great with tubes.
I just tried to compare RME-2 with Aegis. My Atriums sound better on Aegis but it isn't life changing improvement.

Kimono Kaleidoscope by Circular sounds more holographic (bigger soundstage) on Aegis.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #5,951 of 5,993
I am convinced that this is what all beginners should keep in mind, it will save everyone a lot of money.
I can remember when I first started and had like 4 sets of pads for a pair of ZMF cans and was trying to determine which one sounded better and at the same time was going from amp to amp. Talk about crazy making. I've lost a few $$$ buying and selling too but I'm pretty happy with what I have today. I'd still love to hear Susvara, Audeze 5 , Nutopia and probably one or two estat but Its not a rush and I'd probably end up selling at the end. I only have one open and one closed back at this point. If you go down a rabbit hole you might never come out. I think that's also why so many leave the hobby for a while and come back.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #5,952 of 5,993
Yes this hobby is pretty sick, I managed to sell my ZMF Aeolus to another poor guy who didn't have a clue what he was buying like myself, but it doesn't feel good to deceive someone even if you have been exposed to it yourself.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #5,953 of 5,993
The RME is not a crap amp, it is pretty decent amp, but there are better amps out there. Most that are a worthwhile step up start at around RME money or more though. You could try to upgrade the PSU first. At least in my case getting the grounding from the NT-RME12 was a significant improvement and close to my aftermarket linear that is significantly more powerful.

Make sure you have the option of returning the amp if you are not satisfied. I rarely buy stuff without listening to it first and most of the time I bring stuff home and try it with the option of returning it if not satisfied.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #5,955 of 5,993
is it really worth spending 1000$ more on an amplifier that so many people recommend?

There is no need to buy another amp if you don't want to spend 1000$.
Most of audiophile equipment are just "expensive toys for expensive boys". :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back