RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 27, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #5,926 of 5,991
Does anyone have some 7 band EQ's (RME Adi 2) for the Hemp, Gh2, RS2e, Ps2000e?

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #5,927 of 5,991
If I could plug my turntable directly into it rather than needing a phono stage, the Pro version might be of interest but otherwise I have better uses for that 1K.
The problem with the phono input of the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE is the missing support of MC cartridges.
Honestly, the few superficial updates of the SE do not really justify the high price!

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #5,928 of 5,991
The problem with the phono input of the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE is the missing support of MC cartridges.
Honestly, the few superficial updates of the SE do not really justify the high price!
Earlier today I bought an ADI-2/4 Pro SE. In November I'd never heard of RME, now I own 2 ADI units.

Here's the thing... it depends on whatcha got, and whatcha need...

I have an open baffle MTM speaker project that will need to be paired with subs. The open baffle portion will need to cross around 150Hz-ish... and I may want to add a little juice here and there. My dual subs have DSP control built-in. With the ADI-2/4 Pro, since it allows for independent, customized outputs for each pair of outputs... I can play with what's being sent to my Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp for the Open Baffle MTM, and send something completely different / ideal to the subs. I can use the RME to tune either or both...and / or tweak with the DSP built into the subs.

And then there is this... how much money worth of gear can I replace with it? If I want to, I can replace $17k worth of gear by going to the RME alone, not counting the phono stage or EQ.

If we agree the performance is top shelf, depending on how you plan to use it, what you need it to do, and the money it allows you to put back in your pocket, I know people who think the ADI-2/4 Pro is a bargain at its price.

And then... for many, the ADI-2 DAC FS sounds great and has PEQ...bought used for under a grand... I just don't know how you beat it any of this stuff...

I ran a little competition among some DACs recently, to settle this in my mind and stop wondering... the RME stuff is definitely staying, along with a couple others (because I like them and don't have to sell them / they are too inexpensive and too good to let get away).

IMG_8572.jpeg
IMG_8214.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #5,929 of 5,991
And of course I have a moving coil cartridge. Thanks, I was struggling to find that information.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #5,930 of 5,991
I gave the ADI-2/4 purchase a lot of thought and effort. The ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is obviously a great unit, has digital outs, and one can just put a phono preamp in front of it. I think they can be had for around $1300 used, give or take. The ADI-2/4 rarely comes available used, and I just paid over $2k for a used Demo unit, after taxes.

I think it comes down to really thinking about what unique features are most important to you. Being able to apply different EQ to each pair of balanced outputs is a big feature, for me. I have some vinyl, but I also just traded my Michel Gryo SE table for an Ayre K5xe MP preamp (because it’s good and I think it would be easier to sell one day). Still, maybe one day I’ll get another table. If I’m not mistaken, I think the ADI-2/4 can handle a High Output MC cartridge?

Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is to really give some thought to what’s most important, and how each unit can do it…

For instance, it will be easy enough for me to accommodate a Moving Coil cartridge down the line with the ADI-2/4. Maybe even in a more ideal way and for not a ton of money. However, the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will never be able treat 2 pair of balanced outputs the same way the ADI-2/4 can.

For me, that’s a big differentiator. I just think it’s so cool stuff like this even exists.

And if you’re not using the RME Remote app, you are really missing out. It’s friggin’ cool!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #5,931 of 5,991
^^Now you guys have me exploring the ADI-2 PRO. I've been so happy with my ADI-2 DAC FS, but I'm seeing in your above comments and on the RME site that we have analog inputs, so you guys are running your turntables through it? I have a MC phono pre that I love (SOTA Pyxi), so I could in theory run it into the RME ADI2 PRO and take advantage of its features for vinyl listening. Hmmmm. Will research more!

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #5,932 of 5,991
For instance, it will be easy enough for me to accommodate a Moving Coil cartridge down the line with the ADI-2/4. Maybe even in a more ideal way and for not a ton of money. However, the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will never be able treat 2 pair of balanced outputs the same way the ADI-2/4 can.
How can you use a MC cartridge without a separate phono pre?
What‘s your use case for the two separate outputs?

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #5,933 of 5,991
How can you use a MC cartridge without a separate phono pre?
What‘s your use case for the two separate outputs?
Yep, I’d have to put a phono preamp in front of it. I didn’t buy the 2/4 for its phono input, and I think it will handle a high output MC. I haven’t dug into that. When I listened to vinyl, it was with a Dynavector High Output Moving Coil… always sounded great to me… so I figure it will still be able to do the vinyl setup I’ve had in the past. If I were to get back into listening to vinyl, I don’t think it would be via “large purchase / both feet”. I’d do a simple setup that sounds good.

I bought the 2/4 for the features I needed / wanted now, and the stuff “I can’t add / address later”.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #5,934 of 5,991
Is it possible to use the ADI-2 DAC to power small (passive) computer speakers?

If this is possible, can anybody give me any recommendations or information?

I obviously use the ADI-2 with headphones but I find myself occasionally wanting small speakers. I can buy small self-powered speakers but I'm wondering if there is an utility or benefit or maybe using the ADI-2? (I just need very small speakers and not a lot of volume either...)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #5,935 of 5,991
Is it possible to use the ADI-2 DAC to power small computer speakers?

I obviously use the ADI-2 with headphones but I find myself occasionally wanting small speakers. I can buy small self-powered speakers but I'm wondering if there is an utility or benefit or maybe using the ADI-2? (I just need very small speakers and not a lot of volume either...)
Yes, you can use it to power small active monitors (loudspeakers). Try Kali Audio LP6 v2 for 400 usd a pair.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kali_lp-6v2/

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #5,936 of 5,991
Sorry, I edited my post to mention passive speakers. I think if I use active speakers I can use the ADI-2 as a DAC (and EQ?) but I'm wondering if I can also use the ADI-2 amplifier to power the speakers.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #5,937 of 5,991
Sorry, I edited my post to mention passive speakers. I think if I use active speakers I can use the ADI-2 as a DAC (and EQ?) but I'm wondering if I can also use the ADI-2 amplifier to power the speakers.
No you need an amp. If you add powered speakers, the ADI-2 can be used as the DAC but also as a preamp and be used to control volume.

I personally just use mine as a headphone amp and DAC to feed my integrated amp, which does not have a USB input (and my NUC 11 does not have a digital audio output).

Edit: in case it was not clear, you would need a separate amp (or an integrated amp) for passive speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #5,938 of 5,991
Ah, OK ... I will have to research the benefits of using a pre-amp such as the ADI-2.

My typical setup (once I am back to my old desk/house) is a 5.1 surround sound so I don't think it would work since the ADI-2 is only two channels, right?

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #5,939 of 5,991
Is it possible to use the ADI-2 DAC to power small (passive) computer speakers?

Depends on the speakers. Normal speakers for stereo use would most likely be too low in Ohm, but small speakers meant to be used from minijack outputs would be fine. High ohm high sensitivity speakers would also work, but those are quite rare. They do not list a minimum impedance, but I probably wouldn't connect any speakers lower than 8Ohm minimum impedance. If it is mostly to get sound into the room and not so much doing critical listening to music then some cheap minijack speakers would work well enough. Otherwise get some active speakers and connect to RCA output.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #5,940 of 5,991
Can someone confirm if the ADI-2 works with newer iPhone/iPads with their usb-c directly to usb-c (no camera kit cable)?

If it works: will it provide iTunes master quality?

I'm looking to pick up a used model (got a seller nearby) but need to have this confirmed first as I'll use my iPhone as source! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back