RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #5,911 of 6,025
So, I have resolved the hum issue that existed when the RME ADI-2 DAC FS was "OFF", and still connected to an amp that was "ON". User KaiS on the RME forum suggested I try these. I've actually owned them for 20+ years as they came with my Joule Electra LAP-150 tube preamp. When I plugged in these RCA shorting plugs, the issue immediately went away. I can "turn the issue On and Off" by channel, when I remove / install them.

If I was an owner of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and using the balance outputs, I would plug these into the RCA outputs and leave them there.

Those look like shorting plugs unless they have a hidden resistor which would cause the RCA output to drive the ground plane when playing music. Shorting outputs is usually not a good idea.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #5,912 of 6,025
Pardon my ignorance but what does the Phase Reversal Trick do?

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,913 of 6,025
Quick question regarding clock/sample rate:

When playing a FLAC file at 24/96, the display correctly displays INT 96.0. When I then go to track that is ALAC 16/44.1, the display does not change. It remains at INT 96.0. If I power on the RME ADI-2 and play the 16/44.1 track first and then switch to a 24/96 track, the display will correctly change to 96.0.

The display doesn't go from higher to lower kHz, but it will change from lower to higher. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's probably an issue with my MacBook, but not sure!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #5,914 of 6,025
Quick question regarding clock/sample rate:

When playing a FLAC file at 24/96, the display correctly displays INT 96.0. When I then go to track that is ALAC 16/44.1, the display does not change. It remains at INT 96.0. If I power on the RME ADI-2 and play the 16/44.1 track first and then switch to a 24/96 track, the display will correctly change to 96.0.

The display doesn't go from higher to lower kHz, but it will change from lower to higher. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's probably an issue with my MacBook, but not sure!
Apple Music, and macOS - are not bit perfect- unless using iOS. This is perfectly normal- and also ridiculous.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #5,915 of 6,025
Apple Music, and macOS - are not bit perfect- unless using iOS. This is perfectly normal- and also ridiculous.
Got it, so I would need to go into my Audio/MIDI setting on the Mac to change it? That's a pain. I'll just leave it at 96.0. I cannot see any harm in playing 44.1 kHz music when the Audio/MIDI setting is set to 96.0. Obviously, there's no up-sampling.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #5,916 of 6,025
Got it, so I would need to go into my Audio/MIDI setting on the Mac to change it? That's a pain. I'll just leave it at 96.0. I cannot see any harm in playing 44.1 kHz music when the Audio/MIDI setting is set to 96.0. Obviously, there's no up-sampling.
When you set your A/M setting to 96k, it does upsample everything to 96k. Is that harmful? No. You could try a little utility called Lossless Switcher.. or use Qobuz or Tidal if you care
about it being bit perfect. As for me, I just plug my RME into my iPad and use it that way.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #5,917 of 6,025
When you set your A/M setting to 96k, it does upsample everything to 96k. Is that harmful? No. You could try a little utility called Lossless Switcher.. or use Qobuz or Tidal if you care
about it being bit perfect. As for me, I just plug my RME into my iPad and use it that way.
Aside from theory, do you really notice a difference in sound quality when using your iPad/iPhone vs Macbook? I personally can't really hear much difference between those two use cases. I've read before what your saying that Apple Music on MacOS is not bit perfect but after testing I forgot about this issue that is not really an issue for me with my different setups.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #5,919 of 6,025
To owners of RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE model - does the amp stage of the SE model differ in any respect from the regular FS model other than output power? I.e., does it offer a more dynamic presentation?
I'm not sure many people will have compared the two as they are for different uses but I am interested in that too. Also, if the input on the Pro model can take a Moving Coil phono cartridge directly?

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #5,920 of 6,025
I'm not sure many people will have compared the two as they are for different uses but I am interested in that too. Also, if the input on the Pro model can take a Moving Coil phono cartridge directly?
I read this post on the RME forum, which doesn't fill one with much confidence - https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36479

I had the FS version when it first came out. It's good value for money, but the amp stage was lacking. A SE version with a more authoritative amp performance would be compelling, but "It did not reveal any obvious sound difference" for an extra 1k is not so compelling.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #5,921 of 6,025
I read this post on the RME forum, which doesn't fill one with much confidence - https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36479

I had the FS version when it first came out. It's good value for money, but the amp stage was lacking. A SE version with a more authoritative amp performance would be compelling, but "It did not reveal any obvious sound difference" for an extra 1k is not so compelling.
Thanks, although they're comparing two models in the Pro range rather than with the FS. My assumption is that they'd use the same amplifier. I was actually rather impressed with the built-in amp and was expecting it to be my end-game until the opportunity to get an Aune S17 came along, it is certainly a lot better than my old Hifiman EF400.

The 1K difference is for a lot more facilities. The question is, would we use them outside of a studio. If I could plug my turntable directly into it rather than needing a phono stage, the Pro version might be of interest but otherwise I have better uses for that 1K.

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #5,922 of 6,025
Aside from theory, do you really notice a difference in sound quality when using your iPad/iPhone vs Macbook? I personally can't really hear much difference between those two use cases. I've read before what your saying that Apple Music on MacOS is not bit perfect but after testing I forgot about this issue that is not really an issue for me with my different setups.
Yes, I can certainly hear the difference in bit perfect and just up sampling… but…it’s predominantly in the extreme high frequencies and there is a slight loss of low end as well. It’s not something most people will notice…but I’m an audio engineer as well as an audiophile.

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #5,923 of 6,025
To owners of RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE model - does the amp stage of the SE model differ in any respect from the regular FS model other than output power? I.e., does it offer a more dynamic presentation?
Yes. The amp is more powerful and has a dedicated balanced 4.4mm out. Otherwise, its features differ somewhat. The amp itself is more powerful, but as a previous owner of both - I went back to the Pro FS and it sounds identical, just with less power. It’s not noticeable or needed for most headphones.

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #5,924 of 6,025
Those look like shorting plugs unless they have a hidden resistor which would cause the RCA output to drive the ground plane when playing music. Shorting outputs is usually not a good idea.
I think this is a good point and I've removed them. There are 75ohm versions that were suggested and I can try as well. It's not a "huge issue", but it's annoying.

RME has a 3 prong plug power supply for the ADI-2/4 Pro. It has a "grounded mains connector" and is specifically said to address noise issues when the ADI is switched off. That sounds like it may very well address exactly what I'm experiencing with the "2 prong" setup that comes with the ADI-2 DAC FS.

With that said, I may just end up upgrading to the ADI-2/4 Pro with ESS ES9038Q2M. I have an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty DAC with that same chip, and it sounds excellent. RME mentions their tech is the bigger factor that the chip being used, but after listening to my ADI-2 DAC FS with AKM4493 and Ayre with ES9038Q2M, I would not get hung up on "AKM vs ESS"... they both sound excellent. In fact, I like my Ayre unit so much that it makes me even more curious to try the ADI-2/4 Pro with the ES9038Q2M.

Up until yesterday, I had the following DACs in house and have been switching between the first 5 listed in real time. I've owned the Modi Multibit for years and I have put the TEAC unit in rotation yet.

It has been a revelation, to say the least. I no longer have "DAC Nervosa"... they all sound "good". A couple sound "special". One sounded special but had an audible transformer hum from 12' away and had to be sent back.

The RME has features none of the others can fully do... and it sounds awesome. I will own some sort of RME unit, whether the one below, the ADI-2 Pro, or the ADI-2/4 Pro.

I will own the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty, because it sounds awesome, and Ayre gear is uniquely designed / pairs perfectly with my Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. It will always be a frame of reference for great sound.

I will own the Modius, because it sounds great... and I'd be a fool to get rid of it for how much I paid for it. It is the single best value listed below and I think it is the D/S DAC Mike Moffat referred to as being "waaaaaaay too good". The Modi Multibit will never go away for similar reasons... I paid very little for it, it sounds great, and there's a reason why Jason says he still uses it.

Besides the DAC with the transformer / hum issue, I could live with any of these DACs (probably even the TEAC unit, which I haven't heard yet).

Oh... Schiit Bifrost 2/64 with the same chip has the Yggdrasil LIM... I have not compared them directly, but after hearing the Yggdrasil+ GS2 below and the Bifrost 2/64, I would just opt for the Bifrost. It's excellent, I'd be happy, and I'd have another grand in my pocket to spend on speakers.

If I had to pick one and only one... it would be the RME unit.
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AKM4493)
  • Schiit Audio Yggradrasil+ GS2 (Multibit)
  • Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty (ES9038Q2M)
  • Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (Multibit)
  • Schiit Audio Modius (AKM4493)
  • TEAC UD-505 (AKM4497)
  • Schiit Modi Multibit
IMG_8572.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #5,925 of 6,025
I think this is a good point and I've removed them. There are 75ohm versions that were suggested and I can try as well. It's not a "huge issue", but it's annoying.

RME has a 3 prong plug power supply for the ADI-2/4 Pro. It has a "grounded mains connector" and is specifically said to address noise issues when the ADI is switched off. That sounds like it may very well address exactly what I'm experiencing with the "2 prong" setup that comes with the ADI-2 DAC FS.

With that said, I may just end up upgrading to the ADI-2/4 Pro with ESS ES9038Q2M. I have an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty DAC with that same chip, and it sounds excellent. RME mentions their tech is the bigger factor that the chip being used, but after listening to my ADI-2 DAC FS with AKM4493 and Ayre with ES9038Q2M, I would not get hung up on "AKM vs ESS"... they both sound excellent. In fact, I like my Ayre unit so much that it makes me even more curious to try the ADI-2/4 Pro with the ES9038Q2M.

Up until yesterday, I had the following DACs in house and have been switching between the first 5 listed in real time. I've owned the Modi Multibit for years and I have put the TEAC unit in rotation yet.

It has been a revelation, to say the least. I no longer have "DAC Nervosa"... they all sound "good". A couple sound "special". One sounded special but had an audible transformer hum from 12' away and had to be sent back.

The RME has features none of the others can fully do... and it sounds awesome. I will own some sort of RME unit, whether the one below, the ADI-2 Pro, or the ADI-2/4 Pro.

I will own the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty, because it sounds awesome, and Ayre gear is uniquely designed / pairs perfectly with my Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. It will always be a frame of reference for great sound.

I will own the Modius, because it sounds great... and I'd be a fool to get rid of it for how much I paid for it. It is the single best value listed below and I think it is the D/S DAC Mike Moffat referred to as being "waaaaaaay too good". The Modi Multibit will never go away for similar reasons... I paid very little for it, it sounds great, and there's a reason why Jason says he still uses it.

Besides the DAC with the transformer / hum issue, I could live with any of these DACs (probably even the TEAC unit, which I haven't heard yet).

Oh... Schiit Bifrost 2/64 with the same chip has the Yggdrasil LIM... I have not compared them directly, but after hearing the Yggdrasil+ GS2 below and the Bifrost 2/64, I would just opt for the Bifrost. It's excellent, I'd be happy, and I'd have another grand in my pocket to spend on speakers.

If I had to pick one and only one... it would be the RME unit.
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AKM4493)
  • Schiit Audio Yggradrasil+ GS2 (Multibit)
  • Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty (ES9038Q2M)
  • Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (Multibit)
  • Schiit Audio Modius (AKM4493)
  • TEAC UD-505 (AKM4497)
  • Schiit Modi Multibit
I just bought the NT-RME-12, which is the on-locking 3 pronged version for the ADI-2 DAC FS etc. and it is a noticeable upgrade from the NT-RME-2 that the unit comes with, especially when using it with an external amp over single ended. Still prefer my linear by a small margin, but the difference is minor while it was major compared to the PSU that came with the unit. Paid about €30 for the NT-RME-12 (they didn't have the NT-RME-11 available). The PRO SE comes with an NT-RME-11 which is more powerful, but a bit unsure how much of a difference it makes and the NT-RME-12 has the same specs as the NT-RME-2, just without the locking power plug (no issue unless you are careless with the wires or DAC).

The implementation of the chip is much more important than the chip itself. E.g. the ESS chips generally need the implementer to add headroom for intersample overs as it can not handle signal above 0dbFS. Filters interpolate sound which can cause 0dbFS signals to become +2dbFs. You also have clocks, output stage, power supply, isolation on input stage with jitter removal, filters and more.

I haven't heard the ESS version of the ADI-2 DAC FS, but doubt it makes a lot of a difference as the rest of the implementation is pretty much the same. I've heard several DACs with the same type of chip and the implementation makes much more difference than when comparing two revisions of a DAC line with different chips.

The filters make a large difference and if someone can't hear the difference between filters on an RME ADI-2 DAC FS then they should check their downstream equipment. The filters in most DAC chips are so-so and made more for cheap production (low processing power) rather than excellent quality. The sound quality noticeably increases if I feed it a 176.4khz or higher pre-filtered signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back