RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 12, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5,613 of 5,991
There is nowadays nearly no audible differences between well made DACs.
I would say there is an audible difference though. I had various DACs before the RME ADI-2, such as the Burson Conductor 3XP, and the difference was noticeable even without A/B testing. Maybe the difference is hard to hear between neutral DACs like RME.
After much searching, I discovered what type of DAC's satisfies me: Neutral. Which tries to present the song as faithfully as possible. And this is what RME does first-class. Unlike Burson who has his own character and is adding it to everything. And not every dish we want to eat with ketchup... :)

May 13, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #5,614 of 5,991
There is nowadays nearly no audible differences between well made DACs. This is now no longer a question in the HiFi world. Only functionnalities, design, connections etc...make a difference. And of course the price, which will fuel the cognive bias (the more expensive, the more I expect, the more I will find...)
I'm just curious, but why are you interested in the power supplies if a) you point out that all DACs are essentially the same in SQ, and b) RME themselves are very clear that they do not offer these PSUs for any SW improvement?

(Note: I'm interested too, but if the lead designer and owner is going on record that the products don't improve the sound...)

May 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #5,617 of 5,991
May 20, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,618 of 5,991
Sorry. I do not know if an account to Facebook is necessary. It's on the "RME ADI ADC-DAC owners" group.
Another try: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=692278322908047&set=pcb.692278439574702
It seems RME is working on an app (at least for Apple - may be PC) for our ADI-2 DAC.
That's awesome. I was wondering if they would do this-they already have their firmware app talking to the DAC, so this seems like a logical next step. I know how to set all that on the RME, but having an app would save a ton of time. What would be cool is if you could export/import settings (especially around the PEQ settings).

May 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #5,619 of 5,991
May 21, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #5,620 of 5,991
Holy macaroni that’s excellent. RME, gives us the beta please!
Agreed, hopefully, this comes thru for RME owners soon!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 31, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #5,621 of 5,991
I get this lovely message on my RME screen about once a week while listening to music. I have asked before on the RME forums, done additional research, saw that RME identified and fixed some issue that was triggering this on the Pro unit, updated the software, etc. Mine keeps happening.

20230531_154645.jpg

I understand that one other reason for this may not be related to the RME ADI-2, but somehow to DC related to a particular track. I don't understand the tech reason behind it, but for the first time it occurred to me to back up the track once I get the message and see if I can recreate it. And sure enough. It's a specific trigger. In this case I was just listening to a Spotify "chill music" playlist while working.

Reason for my posting. Would anyone else be so kind to try track 4. in the "1 A.M Chill Session" playlist. Track Atlantis - Downtown Binary. At 1:08 precisely I get the DC warning screen. If I pause the music or move to another track it instantly disappears. If I try again, it comes up again at 1:08. Is it just my unit or can others recreate this?

Again, I don't care to listen to this particular track, it was just background music, but I get the issue with others too if it happens once a week on average.

Thanks.

May 31, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,622 of 5,991
I get this lovely message on my RME screen about once a week while listening to music. I have asked before on the RME forums, done additional research, saw that RME identified and fixed some issue that was triggering this on the Pro unit, updated the software, etc. Mine keeps happening.

I understand that one other reason for this may not be related to the RME ADI-2, but somehow to DC related to a particular track. I don't understand the tech reason behind it, but for the first time it occurred to me to back up the track once I get the message and see if I can recreate it. And sure enough. It's a specific trigger. In this case I was just listening to a Spotify "chill music" playlist while working.

Reason for my posting. Would anyone else be so kind to try track 4. in the "1 A.M Chill Session" playlist. Track Atlantis - Downtown Binary. At 1:08 precisely I get the DC warning screen. If I pause the music or move to another track it instantly disappears. If I try again, it comes up again at 1:08. Is it just my unit or can others recreate this?

Again, I don't care to listen to this particular track, it was just background music, but I get the issue with others too if it happens once a week on average.

Thanks.
Hey, I just tried that track, no issues whether it’s on phone output or line output. I do have Digital DC protection on On for both outputs. Not the filter option or Off, this option should mute the sound in case DC content is detected but it did not in this case.

Downloaded and installed the latest Windows drivers and ADI-2 DAC firmware from the RME website? Maybe try overwriting them both if they are already installed.

If that doesn’t help a full reset might help, to quote the manual: " When holding encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button pushed while turning on the unit, user-stored
Setups and EQ Presets are also reset." be sure to disconnect USB as well otherwise it won't reset fully. If that doesn't help there's probably an internal problem but RME can help you further with that.

Tip: The VOL button is not the big volume knob but the small button next to it at the top.

Nice music BTW, I saw Voyage dropped a new single yesterday. :)

May 31, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #5,623 of 5,991
Just disable the DC detection and life goes on.

May 31, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #5,624 of 5,991
If that doesn’t help a full reset might help, to quote the manual: " When holding encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button pushed while turning on the unit, user-stored
Setups and EQ Presets are also reset." be sure to disconnect USB as well otherwise it won't reset fully. If that doesn't help there's probably an internal problem but RME can help you further with that.

Tip: The VOL button is not the big volume knob but the small button next to it at the top.

Nice music BTW, I saw Voyage dropped a new single yesterday. :)

Wow, thank you for such a helpful response. In the end the reset resolved the issue. I am really optimistic that I won't encounter the issue again anytime soon. It must have been some setting gone array. I've had the unit since December 2018 after all. Top, top shape otherwise.

Thanks again. Enjoy the music. Will check out that new single now. :)

May 31, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #5,625 of 5,991
I am also interested in this association with the hypsos: Has anyone given it a try ?
Please note that RME will issue 3 new power supplies (DPS2, LNI2 and LNI DC) for the Munich audio fair. I am keen on having feedbacks about these PS....
I've tried the Hypsos with the RME ADI 2 and it did improve sound quality. It sounded like it opened up a bit, had better dynamics, detail retrieval etc. A really nice change, but not worth it in my experience over the price difference of just upgrading DACs. I went from RME ADI 2 to a Gustard R26 and preferred the Gustard. I do miss all of the functionality and ease-of-use that the RME had, though. Hope that helps in some way. If I had to quantify it, the Ferrum Hypsos improved the RME ADI 2 by maybe 5%, whereas going R2R with R26, improved it to my ears by 25%. Totally different sonic characteristics though, may not be the same experience for everyone with differing tastes of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back