RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,991 of 6,038
Second, the ADI-2 handles 32 bit/768 kHz hi res audio. I don't own any music files (yet) that are anywhere close to that. What music or file types are you all using to put this DAC to the test for that high resolution? I'm relatively new to the topic and see some streaming sites and some hi res files for purchase, but so far, nothing at those high numbers.

Here is mine playing a DSD256 song via Roon (DoP). You can see the rate in the lower right hand corner of the RME's screen.:

1614182943871.png

1614183041145.png

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3,992 of 6,038
Second, the ADI-2 handles 32 bit/768 kHz hi res audio. I don't own any music files (yet) that are anywhere close to that. What music or file types are you all using to put this DAC to the test for that high resolution? I'm relatively new to the topic and see some streaming sites and some hi res files for purchase, but so far, nothing at those high numbers.

Just 16/44. There's no benefit from a listener's perspective to bother with going higher. The only reason higher resolution is needed is because it is used in studios is to minimise the quantisation distortion of mixing channels and applying effects. Honestly 768 kHz could produce a frequency about 3 times higher than a bat can hear, and a bat can hear around 110 kHz at max.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,993 of 6,038
Just 16/44. There's no benefit from a listener's perspective to bother with going higher. The only reason higher resolution is needed is because it is used in studios is to minimise the quantisation distortion of mixing channels and applying effects. Honestly 768 kHz could produce a frequency about 3 times higher than a bat can hear, and a bat can hear around 110 kHz at max.
Understood- My current DAC is quite old at this point and has a maximum resolution of 16 bit/96 kHz. Is it safe to conclude that even when listening to 16/44.1 files, the ADI-2 will sound better (given all its features) than my current older DAC? I've got a pretty good pricing on a new one and will be keen on purchasing, but I am indeed curious to get thoughts from you all.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,994 of 6,038
I do not own a high ohm headphones but at high volumes the ADI starts to struggle a bit. Like the previous post says an Amp will improve the sound. It's still a very solid dac amp combo nonetheless.

You can download flac or dhd though dhd gets closer to that hi res. Heads up to check dhd res because not all albums have super high res.

I use Tidal and even purchasing the same song from Tidal gives better quality than their hi fi stream.
Here is mine playing a DSD256 song via Roon (DoP). You can see the rate in the lower right hand corner of the RME's screen.:

1614182943871.png
1614183041145.png
Thank you! This is great information. Most likely, I'll try to acquire some songs or albums in FLAC or other hi-res format to hear for myself. I'm still researching streaming services. I know Amazon will have their HD service later this year and I believe I can purchase some of my favorite albums from certain sites. Really curious to hear DSD, as well.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,995 of 6,038
Hi there!

I've combed through this thread and just wanted to confirm before I buy... the RME ADI-2 FS only uses ASIO in Windows. Consequently, when using the Tidal App in Windows (which uses WASAPI), there will not be automatic bit-rate switching, and the music will not be bit perfect? The only way around this is to use Audirvana or Roon in Windows? I understand that this is not an issue with MacOS.

Just wanted to make sure I understood before I took the plunge! I live in Canada and unfortunately, our hi-res streaming options are very limited so I use Tidal Masters for my high-res.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,996 of 6,038
Understood. I just did a bunch of reading over the past few days, including right here in the Sound Science section. Indeed, your assertion is correct and I can see the information and research that speaks to this topic. Very fascinating and clearly, I can save a ton of money by sticking with 16/44.1 ALAC files that I already own. Reading up on this thread and the sound science topic has been quite illuminating.

That being said, look what Mr. Fed Ex man brought me this afternoon:

BLbnx45h.jpg

I'm typing now and getting my first dose of the RME ADI-2 FS, listening to some prog rock. Whoa, I'm beyond impressed right now. No real words to quantify this initial voyage, but I'm absolutely loving the detail and clarity.

My next quest is to upgrade my headphones. I used to have some HD800, but sold those a while back, not caring for the treble response. I'm currently listening with headphones that I normally use for recording musical instruments which I think are simply just OK. Based on what I've been reading in the Headphones section of the forum, the Focal Clear sound like a good contender. Others have recommended Audeze LCD-2 and 2C. Looking forward to headphone recommendations, if you've got 'em. Back to listening and reading the manual...

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #3,997 of 6,038
Congrats @skhan007! You should check out the threads on the ZMF headphones. I haven’t touched my LCDs since getting a pair. They have excellent natural timbre and range. They are also extremely comfortable and look amazing

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,998 of 6,038
Very fascinating and clearly, I can save a ton of money by sticking with 16/44.1 ALAC files that I already own.
Well, yes, and no. A lot of Hi Res tracks have been remastered for release on higher resolution formats. The remastering process ultimately seeks to address the shortcomings of a previous master, and in that respect the Hi Res version may sound subjectively better. Not because it's Hi Res, but because the tonality has been changed through the remastering process. Take a remastered Hi Res track and resample it down to 16/44 and it'll sound exactly the same.

Honestly a lot of Hi Res stuff is sold on secret remasters. In other words the Hi Res version has been artificially altered in secret to subjectively sound better than the 16/44 version. This happens because otherwise nobody would buy Hi Res music, and sometimes it's worth picking up a Hi Res version because the remastering really does make the track or album sound better than the original mastering. But it's nothing to do with the higher sample rate or bit depth.

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #3,999 of 6,038
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #4,000 of 6,038
Anyone use a SACD player with the RME? I'm pretty clueless on whether it's possible or worth it. But I have quite a few discs (all hybrids) that I'm curious about and currently don't own a player.
You still need an SACD transport that will play the physical disc. Not many SACD players have any sort of full resolution output. If anything, HDMI, and that will not be useful with the RME.

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,001 of 6,038
Understood. I just did a bunch of reading over the past few days, including right here in the Sound Science section. Indeed, your assertion is correct and I can see the information and research that speaks to this topic. Very fascinating and clearly, I can save a ton of money by sticking with 16/44.1 ALAC files that I already own. Reading up on this thread and the sound science topic has been quite illuminating.

That being said, look what Mr. Fed Ex man brought me this afternoon:

BLbnx45h.jpg

I'm typing now and getting my first dose of the RME ADI-2 FS, listening to some prog rock. Whoa, I'm beyond impressed right now. No real words to quantify this initial voyage, but I'm absolutely loving the detail and clarity.

My next quest is to upgrade my headphones. I used to have some HD800, but sold those a while back, not caring for the treble response. I'm currently listening with headphones that I normally use for recording musical instruments which I think are simply just OK. Based on what I've been reading in the Headphones section of the forum, the Focal Clear sound like a good contender. Others have recommended Audeze LCD-2 and 2C. Looking forward to headphone recommendations, if you've got 'em. Back to listening and reading the manual...
Congratulations! I remember seeing your question a week or so ago on another thread and telling you I'm enjoying my RME DAC and you should research/look into it. I actually have two of them, the one out at the office is the V1 and the one at home is V2. I don't really hear any difference between them though, they both sound fantastic! Again, congratulations on your purchase and happy listening!!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,002 of 6,038
Congratulations! I remember seeing your question a week or so ago on another thread and telling you I'm enjoying my RME DAC and you should research/look into it. I actually have two of them, the one out at the office is the V1 and the one at home is V2. I don't really hear any difference between them though, they both sound fantastic! Again, congratulations on your purchase and happy listening!!
Yes indeed! I was going to send you a PM to thank you, as I took your recommendation, researched it via reading reviews and watching videos, and was completely sold. You were absolutely right. Now that I have the RME ADI-2, I'm hearing just how amazing it truly is. You guidance is greatly appreciated and thank you for this recommendation. I'm very happy with this purchase!

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,003 of 6,038
Got a question fir the headphone/preamp experts. Looking at buying a Burson Audio Soloist 3XP preamp & headphone amp to use with the RME DAC and Focal Shape 65 active monitors. Not that the RME by itself is bad but I could use more power and authority with both headphones and monitors. I also use a M&K 12" active subwoofer that is connected via RCA to the DAC while the monitors are running on the XLR. As you know, the balanced and single entry run simultaneously out of the RME so the sound is pretty good, with the sub providing hilarious amount of thunder and rumble. If I get the Soloist, it will run in balanced mode of course, but there's no way to connect the sub via RCA to it. So my question is, would be OK to keep the sub connected to the RME on RCA, run XLRs to Soloist and from there output XLR to the monitors? Do you think there might be some sort of delay due to the monitors being run through the separate preamp? I would control the volume from the RME DAC of course.

The Soloist got some raving reviews and I'm quite tempted but I'd hate to have to plug and unplug cables any time I switch between headphones and monitors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back