RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,961 of 6,034
Thank you for your responses. Does it mean that it’s almost always beneficial (or, in other words - a safe choice?) to use the 6.3mm output and use the High gain option, even with headphones that may not “need” to have that output power?
I guess I am just looking to see what output setting to settle on with easy-to-drive headphones such as D9200/D7200 etc.
Low gain is more than adequate from what I understand, high gain is probably for those very hard to drive headphones.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,962 of 6,034
Have you ever experienced an elevated noise floor with either option? I didn't

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #3,963 of 6,034
Right, so that’s actually my question ... my cans aren’t power hungry (Denon 9200) to my understanding. Which mode is best to use?

In other words, what tempts me by the 3.5mm output is the lower noise and no need to use an adapter. However, I don’t want to use it if the 6.3mm would result in better sound.

Would appreciate anyone’s input who has the Denon series with the RME.
The headphone output has two power modes; low and high which you can change in the menu according to your headphone's needs or your preference. The 3.5mm output is for IEMs, quite clearly stated even on the device itself. The noise you worry about is inaudible for human ears, can only be detected by super high-end machines. I suggest to follow RME's recommendation for usage. They probably know what they are talking about. That said you have the freedom to try all outputs, but I doubt your Denon will sound better from the IEM output. :beerchug:

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,964 of 6,034
Have you ever experienced an elevated noise floor with either option? I didn't

The noise floor on the ADI is so vanishingly small that you almost certainly won't hear it on high gain, unless you really push the output, in which case you'll probably hear it briefly, and then will have trouble hearing anything else again.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,965 of 6,034
Has anyone had signal randomly die to RME on Windows even though Windows shows it's playing? If so, how did you fix it?

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #3,966 of 6,034
Has anyone had signal randomly die to RME on Windows even though Windows shows it's playing? If so, how did you fix it?

Looks like you are using Roon. My RME would cut sometimes with Roon. I resolved it by enabling ’Use Maximum Buffer’ in advanced device setup.

1612914225020.png

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,967 of 6,034
Seems there was some glitch with the DAC, I talked to RME, they are super helpful. I just had to reset my DAC. All is good now. RME FTW!

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,971 of 6,034
Hmmm interesting. I put it to HI-output and have it around -35dB. I actually really enjoy to have loudness turned on in this configuration... it seems to make it... more clear?
Any takes? Should I perhaps stay in Low power and just set an EQ?
Using ZMF Aeolus as mentioned above ^^.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,972 of 6,034
Hmmm interesting. I put it to HI-output and have it around -35dB. I actually really enjoy to have loudness turned on in this configuration... it seems to make it... more clear?
Any takes? Should I perhaps stay in Low power and just set an EQ?
Using ZMF Aeolus as mentioned above ^^.
I do not think loudness function makes the sound clearer. Perhaps the high power mode gives that perception. Loudness elevates bass and treble slightly, as you decrease volume. It is supposed to compensate the relative loss of those frequencies on lower listening volumes. I also like and use this function, but it has to be set properly according to your usual listening volumes. The manual explains pretty clearly how to set it correctly.
If it is not done right, it could act like a V-shaped EQ.

Regarding the high output vs. low, I also prefer high. Even though there is plenty of volume in low power mode, I enjoy the extra tightness, dynamics and impact of high power mode. At least with my LCD-X, which is still a huge planar despite the low impedance.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,973 of 6,034
I do not think loudness function makes the sound clearer. Perhaps the high power mode gives that perception. Loudness elevates bass and treble slightly, as you decrease volume. It is supposed to compensate the relative loss of those frequencies on lower listening volumes. I also like and use this function, but it has to be set properly according to your usual listening volumes. The manual explains pretty clearly how to set it correctly.
If it is not done right, it could act like a V-shaped EQ.

Regarding the high output vs. low, I also prefer high. Even though there is plenty of volume in low power mode, I enjoy the extra tightness, dynamics and impact of high power mode. At least with my LCD-X, which is still a huge planar despite the low impedance.
Thanks :). So indeed I went into the manual and noticed that they also boost the higher frequencies. Looking at several freq response graphs I noticed that the Aeolus has a dip around 4k. I just made a new EQ preset to boost exactly that region (and bump the sub-bass a bit... ssh). So far so good :).

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #3,975 of 6,034
Thanks :). So indeed I went into the manual and noticed that they also boost the higher frequencies. Looking at several freq response graphs I noticed that the Aeolus has a dip around 4k. I just made a new EQ preset to boost exactly that region (and bump the sub-bass a bit... ssh). So far so good :).

I'm a big fan of the Loudness feature. It may not necessarily make the sound clearer, but I think it definitely makes it crisper. And I actually prefer a V shaped sound....so best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back