RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #3,976 of 6,034
What glitch was this? Would want to know more.
Windows was sending a signal to the RME, as shown in the Sound Control Panel, but for some reason, but there was no signal being produced in the DAC. The solution that RME helped me with was a DAC reset, which was quite simple. After that, all was good. I was relieved as Roon, 1.8 had come out and I wanted to use it. The person I was talking to, says that this happens somethings, I.E., the RME has this glitch. As he knew the solution almost right away.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,977 of 6,034
Windows was sending a signal to the RME, as shown in the Sound Control Panel, but for some reason, but there was no signal being produced in the DAC. The solution that RME helped me with was a DAC reset, which was quite simple. After that, all was good. I was relieved as Roon, 1.8 had come out and I wanted to use it. The person I was talking to, says that this happens somethings, I.E., the RME has this glitch. As he knew the solution almost right away.

And... the solution?

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #3,979 of 6,034
Been experimenting with iFi iPower X 15v/1.5a, iFi iPower X 12v/2a, and the new iFi iPower Elite 12v/4a on my ADI 2.

I can't tell the difference between the 15v/1.5a and 12v/2a. There is subtle difference vs stock adapter but could very well be some bias. Decided to return them. Trying out the Elite today and this one has a more significant difference on the sound. I know there's a camp that says there's no difference whichever adapter is used because the stock adapter is good and the internals of ADI will take care of electrical stuff. If anything I am also biased against adapters making any difference because of what the RME guys said about this topic plus I don't want to spend any more on anything audio, but after trying this Elite I am convinced that there is significant enough improvement that I am leaning towards keeping it or looking for something similar at a lower price.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,980 of 6,034
I'd love to see something like the elite measured on a good scope vs the stock adapter. It would be interesting, I think. I would also like to try them, just to see. I have liked iFi gear that I have owned. But its stuff like this that makes me doubt these products. When they use flashy marketing names like "figighter jet stealth technology" maybe supposed to be "stealth fighter jet technology", but is lost in translation? The F117 is actually pretty old tech at this point :L3000:. They don't have 1 person on the team that can point out the translation issues and the spelling errors?
1614006292767.png

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,981 of 6,034
I just ordered the Furman PST-8 D from BH Photo and it is on sale right now. It has all the line filtering technology plus two power banks (one for digital the other for along components). This in theory helps prevent noise output from the digital components that could effect the analog ones like tube amps. Seems better than just buying a power cord as it will help remove noise from my whole chain.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...DIG_PST_8_Digital_Power_Station.html/overview

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,982 of 6,034
I did notice the figighter on the box and wondered if it's a typo. They do have gimmicky features which make it sound snake oil y.

Im guessing it's possible that the higher amperage is what's giving it the improvement. I will look for other 12v/4a adapters to test.

I moved my testing to bass and can tell there's improvement in that area too. I have high bass EQ on my ADI. It's pretty much enough, but with the Elite the bass has more punch and depth that I find the EQ bass now too much on some songs.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3,983 of 6,034
I just ordered the Furman PST-8 D from BH Photo and it is on sale right now. It has all the line filtering technology plus two power banks (one for digital the other for along components). This in theory helps prevent noise output from the digital components that could effect the analog ones like tube amps. Seems better than just buying a power cord as it will help remove noise from my whole chain.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...DIG_PST_8_Digital_Power_Station.html/overview
Nice! Looks like a retailer on Amazon is matching the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YYVLAK

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,984 of 6,034
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #3,986 of 6,034
Listning through ( my adi 2 pro BE) Can someone please tell me why sounds that come from either left or right channel sometimes in the mix with other Dac/amp are all being played in the middle?
Perhaps you have crossfeed on a higher level?

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,988 of 6,034
I'm pretty sure the ADI-2 DAC FS will be my next purchase, as I've been doing my homework on what DAC and features I'm after. I'm thoroughly impressed and after reading the Master Switch review, I'm really interested. A couple of questions:

I believe the headphone amp section of the unit can handle high impedance headphones, such as 300 Ohms or higher? Somebody on another thread said no, but that contradicts what I'm seeing and reading, especially with the extreme power option.

Second, the ADI-2 handles 32 bit/768 kHz hi res audio. I don't own any music files (yet) that are anywhere close to that. What music or file types are you all using to put this DAC to the test for that high resolution? I'm relatively new to the topic and see some streaming sites and some hi res files for purchase, but so far, nothing at those high numbers.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #3,989 of 6,034
I believe the headphone amp section of the unit can handle high impedance headphones, such as 300 Ohms or higher? Somebody on another thread said no, but that contradicts what I'm seeing and reading, especially with the extreme power option.
Yes, the ADI-2 can handle 300ohm headphones with plenty of loudness and enjoyability like on my ZMF Verite Closed. I would say that based on comments in the ZMF threads, the headphones will shine even more though with a more powerful amp and I am currently awaiting an Amps&Sound Mogwai SE to really bring out the most in my headphones. Regardless, I really do love my RME ADI 2. The EQ and visualizer alone are super powerful tools for customizing the sound and I frequently add different bass shelfs for some of the more bass focused EDM and hip-hop tracks. And the ability to quickly turn the knobs vs fiddle with the software EQ I think is far superior. The RME also measures extremely well and is an excellent pairing for stand alone amplifiers down the road if you choose to raise the bar further.

Second, the ADI-2 handles 32 bit/768 kHz hi res audio. I don't own any music files (yet) that's anywhere close to that. What music or file types are you all using to put this DAC to the test for that high resolution? I'm relatively new to the topic and see some streaming sites and some hi res files for purchase, but so far, nothing at those high numbers.
I use Tidal on Mac and the RME ADI handles the high res files excellently. Even though the Mac does the software unfolding of the MQA the quality that comes through to the headphones is excellent. Most Tidal masters are still 88khz and some 96khz. The advantages of on device MQA decoding are contested and I can at least say that the RME sounds much better playing MQA software decoded than my xDSD sounds playing MQA hardware rendered. FWIW

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,990 of 6,034
I'm pretty sure the ADI-2 DAC FS will be my next purchase, as I've been doing my homework on what DAC and features I'm after. I'm thoroughly impressed and after reading the Master Switch review, I'm really interested. A couple of questions:

Second, the ADI-2 handles 32 bit/768 kHz hi res audio. I don't own any music files (yet) that are anywhere close to that. What music or file types are you all using to put this DAC to the test for that high resolution? I'm relatively new to the topic and see some streaming sites and some hi res files for purchase, but so far, nothing at those high numbers.
I do not own a high ohm headphones but at high volumes the ADI starts to struggle a bit. Like the previous post says an Amp will improve the sound. It's still a very solid dac amp combo nonetheless.

You can download flac or dhd though dhd gets closer to that hi res. Heads up to check dhd res because not all albums have super high res.

I use Tidal and even purchasing the same song from Tidal gives better quality than their hi fi stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back