RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #3,541 of 6,038
Pros don't have to switch mice based on sponsors... Guardian, also on NaVi, doesn't use a Logitech mouse for instance. Logitech sponsors Astralis and only 1 person on their team is using a Logitech mouse.

G pro wireless is as good as wired and so is any other wireless gaming mice released in the last 5 years. It makes 0 difference
G pro wireless is not good as wired

Its physical impossible to be fast and accurate like a wired connection

Its the same for headphones keyboard headphones internet connection chargin your phone and what else

They claim 1 ms latency i know but they are measured with 11ms

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #3,542 of 6,038
hello, I've begun to notice some problems with my RME unit's display and I wondered if anyone else had seen similar issues (blue bleed up-top and a horizontal red line across the bottom splitting the VOL / INT info? I am extremely careful with all my electronics and I baby the heck out of them. I have kept up with my firmware updates but this seems very strange :sweat:

Attachments

• rme-display-issue.jpg
    rme-display-issue.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,543 of 6,038
hello, I've begun to notice some problems with my RME unit's display and I wondered if anyone else had seen similar issues (blue bleed up-top and a horizontal red line across the bottom splitting the VOL / INT info? I am extremely careful with all my electronics and I baby the heck out of them. I have kept up with my firmware updates but this seems very strange :sweat:
I have seen this problem before. I believe it was in this thread. Unfortunately I do not remember the fix. So I am not being helpful in this area but if you can't find it I would contact them. They have amazing communication. I did see this before though but don't worry I think I remember it being something easy.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #3,544 of 6,038
Two things. One, I have seen at least a couple of reports of display issues but I don't think they're widespread. In one case it was really a problem and the guy got it replaced by his dealer but it was a new or newish unit. The other thing is OLEDs don't like to be on all the time, they do burn. I use the auto dark setting on my OLEDs to avoid screen burn.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3,545 of 6,038
Thank you both for your swift replies. I have been searching around for a while to no avail. I shall contact them directly. Thanks for the tip on auto dark mode, I will consider turning it on (even though it defeats the purpose of having such a nice eyecandy display :grin:) and I do turn it off when not in use (2-3 hours at a time)...thanks again! :thumbsup:

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,546 of 6,038
Thank you both for your swift replies. I have been searching around for a while to no avail. I shall contact them directly. Thanks for the tip on auto dark mode, I will consider turning it on (even though it defeats the purpose of having such a nice eyecandy display :grin:) and I do turn it off when not in use (2-3 hours at a time)...thanks again! :thumbsup:
Yeah I'm with you. I love the display on my RME and the Brooklyn's UI is even nicer. But I was dreading screen burn so they're both set to go off pretty quickly like 10 seconds or 30 seconds but not more than that. :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #3,547 of 6,038
Got my LUMIN U1 Mini network transport (streamer) yesterday, and after a day of trying all the permutations to my gear, the LUMIN connected to the RME ADI-2 DAC via USB sounded the best. Great combo! Best sound quality I’ve had out of any streamer I own (Oppo 205 via UPnP/DLNA, Bluesound Node 2i, and now LUMIN U1 Mini).

I’m no longer interested in trying the AES/EBU cable adapter to get it to work with the coax S/PDIF input of the RME. I think RME’s USB implementation is better than the Oppo 205; maybe their fs internal clock for USB is the difference, and makes it sound better than any S/PDIF input I give it. I’m still using all the inputs on the RME though: Oppo 205 via optical, Node 2i via coax, and now LUMIN U1 Mini via USB.

I love this DAC.

Cheers,
Gus
interesting that USB sounded the best here. currently using Mini USB to DAC and coax sounds different but I think that's more DAC related.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3,548 of 6,038
I was intending to use my WM1A with the dock (allowing USB out) to connect as a source but I just realised that native DSD is only through Windows, is that correct?
For MDR-Z1R users, can anyone please comment on the bass and sub-bass with the RME?
In comparison to balanced amp/dacs is there anything that makes a balanced one better?
As there are many settings and I could get overwhelmed are there any youtube links or sites that offer some sort of guide?

** I actually just bought one so I will find out for myself, cheers

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,549 of 6,038
I was intending to use my WM1A with the dock (allowing USB out) to connect as a source but I just realised that native DSD is only through Windows, is that correct?
For MDR-Z1R users, can anyone please comment on the bass and sub-bass with the RME?
In comparison to balanced amp/dacs is there anything that makes a balanced one better?
As there are many settings and I could get overwhelmed are there any youtube links or sites that offer some sort of guide?
to my limited experience, sometimes DACs sound better connected to pre/ amps via xlr, rather than single ended RCA. in many cases USB is said to be the worst, w coax and everything else running some kind of race.

the same may be true about streamer to DAC.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #3,550 of 6,038
The manual is comprehensive and the best guide . So many options does seem overwhelming but it is very easy to set the unit on automatic and then explore the options individually at your leisure . Setting save options mean you can easily revert to any setting if you mess something up while exploring .

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,551 of 6,038
Hey, All,

I just picked up this beautiful Rupert Neve RNHP Amp to compliment my RME ADI-2 fs. Here are the specs:

For the RNHP:
https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-he … amplifier/

For the RME ADI-2 fs:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

What RME settings would be best when using the RNHP as the main amp (I’ll be mostly using Anandas, Aeon 2 closed, and E-MU Teaks as my headphones)?

know different people have different opinions, but I think I should put it on the fixed output mode and keep the RNHP amp volume up all the way - that way I use the RME as the volume control. Right ?

I’d prefer to use the RME volume, so would I leave the new amp turned up all the way and leave AUTO REF LEVEL turned on with the RME? What about REF level +db settings?

Then I’ll remember these steps to keep in mind for future amps.

Thanks for helping me learn.4DC47667-EFBD-4C62-9EE4-56B6F0EE6BF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,552 of 6,038
Hey, All,

I just picked up this beautiful Rupert Neve RNHP Amp to compliment my RME ADI-2 fs. Here are the specs:

For the RNHP:
https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-he … amplifier/

For the RME ADI-2 fs:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

What RME settings would be best when using the RNHP as the main amp (I’ll be mostly using Anandas, Aeon 2 closed, and E-MU Teaks as my headphones)?

know different people have different opinions, but I think I should put it on the fixed output mode and keep the RNHP amp volume up all the way - that way I use the RME as the volume control. Right ?

I’d prefer to use the RME volume, so would I leave the new amp turned up all the way and leave AUTO REF LEVEL turned on with the RME? What about REF level +db settings?

Then I’ll remember these steps to keep in mind for future amps.

Thanks for helping me learn.4DC47667-EFBD-4C62-9EE4-56B6F0EE6BF0.jpeg
If you put the RME on fixed output and turn the amp up all the way you will destroy every headphone you connect to it. Fixed output is max (0 dB).

You should be controlling volume at the amp, not at the DAC. I guess the RNHP is totally unnecessary with the RME though.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #3,553 of 6,038
If you put the RME on fixed output and turn the amp up all the way you will destroy every headphone you connect to it. Fixed output is max (0 dB).

You should be controlling volume at the amp, not at the DAC. I guess the RNHP is totally unnecessary with the RME though.

the designers of the RME suggest to put the RME on auto ref and then leave external amps at max volume.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,554 of 6,038
the designers of the RME suggest to put the RME on auto ref and then leave external amps at max volume.
That is not the same as fixed output.

Anyway, amps are designed to be driven fully- that is, the input should be at full output (0 dB) or close to it. That's where they perform best. If you control volume at the source, your amp has very little signal to work with and you're hearing the worst your amp can deliver.

You risk blowing your brains out or destroying equipment if you run amps on max. There is really no good reason to do that. It may seem convenient, but it's wrong in every objective way.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #3,555 of 6,038
You risk blowing your brains out or destroying equipment if you run amps on max. There is really no good reason to do that. It may seem convenient, but it's wrong in every objective way.

I agree and will add that I have the gain trimmed 50% on my class D amp that feeds LS50's. At 0db the volume (on the ADI2 DAC) is at the highest volume I would give these speakers (and yes the amp is way over powered for the speakers).

my suggestion to @KillerQ is turn Auto Ref on, Set the DAC volume to 0db and with the RNHP volume encoder at its lowest setting listen and gradually raise the volume on the RNHP till you think it is just too loud and leave it there (mark its position). then in the future, use the volume encoder on the ADI2 DAC and leave the RNHP encoder alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back