RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #3,556 of 6,034
My iems and headphones are all 4.4mm, I'll have to use a couple of high quality adapters to get connected: Nuforce 6.3 > 3.5mm > Musashino 3.5mm > 4.4mm. Considering they are quality components will I be losing out much with these extra links in the chain?

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,558 of 6,034
My iems and headphones are all 4.4mm, I'll have to use a couple of high quality adapters to get connected: Nuforce 6.3 > 3.5mm > Musashino 3.5mm > 4.4mm. Considering they are quality components will I be losing out much with these extra links in the chain?
The 3,5mm IEM out is not balanced. Not sure if you knew that.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,559 of 6,034
The 3,5mm IEM out is not balanced. Not sure if you knew that.
Yes thanks I did, for that I would use just the 3.5mm > 4.4mm adapter. I shouldn't have included iems in the post, my main interest was if having to use 2 adapters would cause any significant loss of quality ie too many links in the chain - I assume it is less than ideal and wondered if investing in a quality 6.3mm > 4.4mm for my overheads would be recommended?

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,560 of 6,034
Yes thanks I did, for that I would use just the 3.5mm > 4.4mm adapter. I shouldn't have included iems in the post, my main interest was if having to use 2 adapters would cause any significant loss of quality ie too many links in the chain - I assume it is less than ideal and wondered if investing in a quality 6.3mm > 4.4mm for my overheads would be recommended?
I understood the question but I don't know the answer. And I wanted to make sure you didn't expect to run 4.4mm balanced cables off that jack. As far as stacking adapters goes, on paper it's not a good idea. I doubt anybody can hear the difference much less measure it.

For me the issue of using adapters is that they sometimes pop apart and I really hate that. It could short out or you lose one channel and have no idea what's going on until you see the plug sticking out. If you can recable your headphones that's probably the best option. If you can't, there is probably nothing you can do except make up a custom cable with the right plug on one end and the right jack on the other.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,561 of 6,034
Hey, All,

I just picked up this beautiful Rupert Neve RNHP Amp to compliment my RME ADI-2 fs. Here are the specs:

For the RNHP:
https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-he … amplifier/

For the RME ADI-2 fs:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

What RME settings would be best when using the RNHP as the main amp (I’ll be mostly using Anandas, Aeon 2 closed, and E-MU Teaks as my headphones)?

know different people have different opinions, but I think I should put it on the fixed output mode and keep the RNHP amp volume up all the way - that way I use the RME as the volume control. Right ?

I’d prefer to use the RME volume, so would I leave the new amp turned up all the way and leave AUTO REF LEVEL turned on with the RME? What about REF level +db settings?

Then I’ll remember these steps to keep in mind for future amps.

Thanks for helping me learn.4DC47667-EFBD-4C62-9EE4-56B6F0EE6BF0.jpeg
I'm currently running a Dragonfly Cobalt into an RNHP in my computer setup. I've been thinking about an RME as an upgrade to the Cobalt and to possibly replace the RNHP as well. I'd be interested in your thoughts between the RNHP v RME headphone outs?

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #3,562 of 6,034
the designers of the RME suggest to put the RME on auto ref and then leave external amps at max volume.
For best possible performance RME output should be set and locked (read the manual) to maximum rated input for RNHP

“A” XLR I/P: +22.8 dBu @1kHz
“B” RCA I/P: +14.7dBu @1kHz,
“C” 3.5mm I/P: +3.3dBu @1kHz

Then use RNHP volume control

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,563 of 6,034
I understood the question but I don't know the answer. And I wanted to make sure you didn't expect to run 4.4mm balanced cables off that jack. As far as stacking adapters goes, on paper it's not a good idea. I doubt anybody can hear the difference much less measure it.

For me the issue of using adapters is that they sometimes pop apart and I really hate that. It could short out or you lose one channel and have no idea what's going on until you see the plug sticking out. If you can recable your headphones that's probably the best option. If you can't, there is probably nothing you can do except make up a custom cable with the right plug on one end and the right jack on the other.
I understand both outputs are single - my adapter is an official balanced (headphone) to single step down one, and both offer a solid connection fortunately.
Some things are up for debate, others are a confirmed no-no, hopefully my double adapting will be of minimal loss of signal if any.
Thanks for your replies.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #3,564 of 6,034
I'm currently running a Dragonfly Cobalt into an RNHP in my computer setup. I've been thinking about an RME as an upgrade to the Cobalt and to possibly replace the RNHP as well. I'd be interested in your thoughts between the RNHP v RME headphone outs?
The RNHP specs are not at all impressive. On paper they don't add anything to the RME.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #3,565 of 6,034
For best possible performance RME output should be set and locked (read the manual) to maximum rated input for RNHP

“A” XLR I/P: +22.8 dBu @1kHz
“B” RCA I/P: +14.7dBu @1kHz,
“C” 3.5mm I/P: +3.3dBu @1kHz

Then use RNHP volume control
Is it necessary to set & lock the RME output to get the best possible performance? I continue to tweak the outputs of my RME and V280 amp seeking the best synergy and sound between them. Does the physical act of locking of the RME do anything specific to the actual sound?

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #3,567 of 6,034
on paper is one thing. In my ears is another. The RNHP is sounding heavenly with my Planars so far. They know what they’re doing :wink:
The wonderful world of HiFi and the human brain.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,570 of 6,034
which method of connection did you choose? I'm curious based on my set up

Thanks for asking.

There are two methods of using external amps with the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. I’m using the method to retain volume control on the DAC. I am using balanced XLR out on the RME to balanced XLR in on the RNHP.

Hare the two methods:

Two different approaches to use ADI-2 with external amps, how to set them up:

To maximize ADI-2's dynamic range (S/N ratio) it's best to have its volume control set to 0 dB, using the external amp's volume control
• Set external amp's volume control to middle position or some above.
• Switch OFF ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2's volume control to 0 dB.
• Select the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands.
• Use the ext. amp's volume dial to control the final loudness.

• Once you start to use any of ADI-2's DSP functions like e.g. the EQ, compensate possible level boosts with ADI-2's volume control until the Level Meter does not show overs.

If you want to use ADI-2's digital volume control, ADI-2 DAC / (Pro) has a clever option that increases the usable dynamic range by 18 / (20) dB: "Auto Reference Level":

• Switch ON ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2 DAC's (Pro's)volume control to -18 / (-20)dBr.
• Set ext. amp's volume control slightly above your normal listening level.
• Use ADI-2's volume control to set the final listening level.

Now ADI-2 automatically selects the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands, while maximizing it's DAC's dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back