RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 28, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,591 of 6,026
Why, why are you disappointed that the 1k unit you own sounds as good as a 2k+ DAC? Shouldn't we be happy about that and happily move on and listen to our music? It seems like an addiction for some of us, we must find something better every few months or we are disappointed. Well, what if the ADI-2 is good enough for the next 5 years, 10 years? More time to enjoy the music by not reading review after review and more money in the bank for everything else that is good in life. :)

Yes, i know, basically thinking the same as i read the statement that the tester couldn't hear a difference between both.
Therefore i wrote "Maybe i should overthink my expectations", more exactly i should have wrote:

After thinking about it i'm happy to hear that the 1K RME ADI-2 DAC is fine and also much easier to get here in Germany (especially in condition used) as a Benchmark DAC 3 which only exists new in Europe and seems to be also very rare in condition used in the rest of the world.

So in general i agree with you @CaptainFantastic

I know that the differences between DACs are quite small compared to differences of headphones.
But i don't know if the tester isn't just unable to hear the difference because of his/her personal limitations or
if there is a common consensus (probably not because there are no other people who compared them both).
ASR i don't know very well, the measurements seems to be well made, but the sound perspective lacks at bit.

Talking about DAC chips, the chip in the ADI-2 isn't mentioned in the spec, probably its an FPGA.

Basically i'm wondering why there are not may DACs using the ES9038 Pro chip in dual mono mode.
The L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 is one of the few ones i found.
Havn't checked the Sabaj D5, it seems to use one ES9038 Pro.

I know, its not only about the main chip, the implementation is essential. And i not only judge from looking at the measurements or specs, however i admit that they influences me and help me to create a shortlist.

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,592 of 6,026
Yes, i know, basically thinking the same as i read the statement that the tester couldn't hear a difference between both.
Therefore i wrote "Maybe i should overthink my expectations", more exactly i should have wrote:

After thinking about it i'm happy to hear that the 1K RME ADI-2 DAC is fine and also much easier to get here in Germany (especially in condition used) as a Benchmark DAC 3 which only exists new in Europe and seems to be also very rare in condition used in the rest of the world.

So in general i agree with you @CaptainFantastic

I know that the differences between DACs are quite small compared to differences of headphones.
But i don't know if the tester isn't just unable to hear the difference because of his/her personal limitations or
if there is a common consensus (probably not because there are no other people who compared them both).
ASR i don't know very well, the measurements seems to be well made, but the sound perspective lacks at bit.

Talking about DAC chips, the chip in the ADI-2 isn't mentioned in the spec, probably its an FPGA.

Basically i'm wondering why there are not may DACs using the ES9038 Pro chip in dual mono mode.
The L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 is one of the few ones i found.
Havn't checked the Sabaj D5, it seems to use one ES9038 Pro.

I know, its not only about the main chip, the implementation is essential. And i not only judge from looking at the measurements or specs, however i admit that they influences me and help me to create a shortlist.
The DAC inside the ADI is a AKM4490

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,595 of 6,026
I mean the sound of serious high end studio dacs should not differ much if any. If there is any big difference so it´s easy to hear one of them is completly faulty.

If I compare to my Audio GD Reference 9 which is a "musical" dac and is not even sold as absolute truth by audio-gd it still sounds very similar to the ADI-2.
I liked the idea with all the tuning but I am so convenient so I hardly ever touch eq and phase warp timings and what not on the RME :p

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #1,596 of 6,026
Thanks for your info.
The RME ADI-2 Pro seems also to use the AKM4490, two of them according a review.
Yes the Pro version has 2 of them. But they are not in Dual Mono. One DAC is for the Converter (Analog Chain) and one for the Headphone output.
The Pro also was the predecessor to the DAC and they have the same internals (beside the A/D conversion).

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,597 of 6,026
My setup:

Tidal > Bluesound Node2 > Wireworld Super Nova 6 Toslink 1M > RME ADI-2 DAC > Zu Wylde 0.5M IC > Woo Audio WA-6 (first generation with Sylvania VT231 & RCA 5U4G) > Massdrop HD6XX.
RME settings; No EQ or loudness. The RME remote buttons are mapped to toggle between SD sharp, SD slow, Crossfeed 1, Crossfeed 2. I like the ability to easily switch the filter and crossfeed.
Airy, natural sound, with just enough body!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,598 of 6,026
Yes the Pro version has 2 of them. But they are not in Dual Mono. One DAC is for the Converter (Analog Chain) and one for the Headphone output.
The Pro also was the predecessor to the DAC and they have the same internals (beside the A/D conversion).

If you use the front outputs with standard TRS to XLR cables (used in pro audio) in "balanced phones" mode they use the AKM4490 in dual mono as line output. Allows +28dBu output voltage and a 6dB increase in SNR. It's in the manual, I can recommend it if you want to maximise the performance of your ADI-2 PRO.

Also minor nitpick the DAC has the same D/A stage as the Pro Fs, the original Pro is slightly different and (imperceptive worse) stage due to a small change in clock

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,599 of 6,026
If you use the front outputs with standard TRS to XLR cables (used in pro audio) in "balanced phones" mode they use the AKM4490 in dual mono as line output. Allows +28dBu output voltage and a 6dB increase in SNR. It's in the manual, I can recommend it if you want to maximise the performance of your ADI-2 PRO.

Also minor nitpick the DAC has the same D/A stage as the Pro Fs, the original Pro is slightly different and (imperceptive worse) stage due to a small change in clock
Oh thank you. I have already forgotten the balanced function because I never used it.
But Didn’t know about the Clock.
„You will never stop learning“ I guess :wink:

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,603 of 6,026
Everyone talking how its so good yet so many people selling it... overhyped much?

I don't think so. You always see the sales advertised, not the 95% of people who keep it. Plus, in this hobby many are always hungry for better and bigger gear, not a judgment on the item being sold often.

I have had mine since December and it is not going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back