Rhapsodio thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,008 of 2,246
Just curious. Has anyone paired the Galaxy v2 with any PW Audio cables before? Specifically the no.5?
Thanks in advance

On PW's website, it lists the No. 5 as a 26AWG OCC copper litz cable, while the V2 bundled Pandora Dwarf cable lists as a 6N OCC copper litz cable.    In essence, they're quite similar.

In my brief testing of the Dwarf cable, I found that it decreased resolution and airiness, mainly in the mid to high regions.   I did notice that vocals became slightly recessed, probably due to the added warmth and loss of air and separation.  

On certain male vocal songs, it did shine and have its moments, but overall, the DK cable to me is a far better match.  I didn't take much time to compare the possible differences in bass, mainly because the change in other aspects wasn't to my personal liking.

I'm still on the hunt for a cable that can give me the male vocal benefits on the copper litz, while retaining the air, resolution, and holographic effect that the DK cable gives.   So far, nothing comes close to achieving that.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #1,009 of 2,246
  On PW's website, it lists the No. 5 as a 26AWG OCC copper litz cable, while the V2 bundled Pandora Dwarf cable lists as a 6N OCC copper litz cable.    In essence, they're quite similar.

In my brief testing of the Dwarf cable, I found that it decreased resolution and airiness, mainly in the mid to high regions.   I did notice that vocals became slightly recessed, probably due to the added warmth and loss of air and separation.  

On certain male vocal songs, it did shine and have its moments, but overall, the DK cable to me is a far better match.  I didn't take much time to compare the possible differences in bass, mainly because the change in other aspects wasn't to my personal liking.

I'm still on the hunt for a cable that can give me the male vocal benefits on the copper litz, while retaining the air, resolution, and holographic effect that the DK cable gives.   So far, nothing comes close to achieving that.

Thanks for sharing. My findings on the Pandora vs DK are similar to yours but we both went at it oppositely when you tried the Pandora after the DK (since you got shipped with the DK instead of the Pandora) whilst I swapped in the DK after the grueling 100 hour burn in to understand the difference the DK brought to the table compared to the Pandora.

To add on, the DK brings better texture and body to the bass when compared to the Pandora.

I've also done some tip rolling and medium Spinfits gave the best possible outcome in terms of SQ. The Windtips and JVC Spiral Dots just attenuated the SQ slightly for me, sounded ever so slightly veiled in the lower regions. Possibly due to my ear anatomy that has a rather sharp bend and angle just as you enter the ear, thus the spinfits are better able to align the nozzle without affecting the SQ much.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #1,010 of 2,246
I would think the spiral dots do the opposite, since they sit very low to the neck of the sound tube.  IME the Spinfits sat a little taller, which in "theory," should have more of an effect on sound versus the spiral dots.

But, as you said, everyone's ears are different :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #1,011 of 2,246
I think it's the shorter, fatter nozzle of the V2 that's causing this for me. I also have the FLC8S and I prefer the Spiral Dots to Spinfits on those, given the FLC8S elongated nozzle. Go figure.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #1,012 of 2,246
As long as you find something that seals well and doesn't adversely affect the sound, you're golden!   I'm sure the difference between the two is minimal at best, and unrecognizable to most :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #1,014 of 2,246
  I've also done some tip rolling and medium Spinfits gave the best possible outcome in terms of SQ. The Windtips and JVC Spiral Dots just attenuated the SQ slightly for me, sounded ever so slightly veiled in the lower regions. Possibly due to my ear anatomy that has a rather sharp bend and angle just as you enter the ear, thus the spinfits are better able to align the nozzle without affecting the SQ much.

Aye, Spinfits for me too.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,015 of 2,246
I used Spin Fits for most IEM's except UM Martian which I used their stock tips, Solar I use the Whirlwind and the only ones with Spiral dots are the Galaxy because of the angle and length of the nozzle. The picture below is just to show the difference on nozzles

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,016 of 2,246
Sammy is singing live on FB.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,018 of 2,246
I can sorta answer that. The QP1R is all about details, dynamism, and power. The Galaxy is a magical match with it. It has enough power for a full-bodied, musical experience, despite being super detailed. The Solar is also a pretty good match with it, but mainly bcos Solar is very easy to drive.

I have a question if the combination QP1R+galaxy is somehow too bright (I sold the vega and almost sell the QP1R untill I've found the QP1R pairs so well with dark iems) ?

thank you

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,019 of 2,246
  I have a question if the combination QP1R+galaxy is somehow too bright (I sold the vega and almost sell the QP1R untill I've found the QP1R pairs so well with dark iems) ?

thank you

Completely agree with @ezekiel77 - QP1R+Galaxy is a very special combination - & as described ("full-bodied & musical" with a huge amount of detail). With the Galaxy, it's tempting to use the QP1R with high gain as they respond well to a bit more juice, however, I've found doing so can make things a touch bright. Stick to medium gain & you'll get a sound that going to be hard to beat in my opinion.

Don't sell your QP1R - nothing else currently out there can touch it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,020 of 2,246
Completely agree with @ezekiel77
 - QP1R+Galaxy is a very special combination - & as described ("full-bodied & musical" with a huge amount of detail). With the Galaxy, it's tempting to use the QP1R with high gain as they respond well to a bit more juice, however, I've found doing so can make things a touch bright. Stick to medium gain & you'll get a sound that going to be hard to beat in my opinion.

Don't sell your QP1R - nothing else currently out there can touch it.
what about a Hugo and Galaxy can this match or beat the QP1R ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back