Rhapsodio thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #991 of 2,212

Not sure if you are still looking for some of these leather cable ties?  I got some from here if you are still looking...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/223599551/6-pieces-handmade-leather-cable?ref=shop_home_active_11

Cheers

Thanks dude. I was still looking, so I really appreciate you sharing that link

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #993 of 2,212

Thanks dude. I was still looking, so I really appreciate you sharing that link

No problem mate - happy to help.

Since you are in UK, check out Cosmic Ears. It might be more economical if you just want one.

Thanks for sharing - didn't know that Cosmic Ears did these.  Only reason I shared the other link to etsy.com was that he said that he wanted to buy a 'few' and this was the most economical I found when I wanted some (I got 12 in one go) - otherwise you are paying between £4 - £6 for just one.

Cheers

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #994 of 2,212
Since you are in UK, check out Cosmic Ears. It might be more economical if you just want one.

No problem mate - happy to help.

Thanks for sharing - didn't know that Cosmic Ears did these.  Only reason I shared the other link to etsy.com was that he said that he wanted to buy a 'few' and this was the most economical I found when I wanted some (I got 12 in one go) - otherwise you are paying between £4 - £6 for just one.

Cheers

Cheers fellas, plenty of options

I think I will indeed go the etsy route as I want to get a few

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #995 of 2,212
In your review you mentioned the treble extension of the v2, could you talk a little more about it, please?

Also, is the bass quantity sufficient for traveling on a train/plane/subway?

Thanks.

Kunlun,

It's easily one of the most misunderstood concepts in regards to sound impressions and in reviews.   In a nutshell, it's the ability of an IEM to reach the higher frequencies without "rolling" off.   It's something that you have to hear, and there are very few IEMs that don't roll off, a few others being the SE-M9, Zeus, SE-5, KSE1500, and probably the new Prophile 8.  When you see a graph, you'll be able to tell by the frequency response.

Here's Nic's take on it, which of course is the technical explanation! :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779604/earsonics-new-9-ba-driver-flagship-the-s-em9/960#post_13016477

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #996 of 2,212
Kunlun,

It's easily one of the most misunderstood concepts in regards to sound impressions and in reviews.   In a nutshell, it's the ability of an IEM to reach the higher frequencies without "rolling" off.   It's something that you have to hear, and there are very few IEMs that don't roll off, a few others being the SE-M9, Zeus, SE-5, KSE1500, and probably the new Prophile 8.  When you see a graph, you'll be able to tell by the frequency response.

Here's Nic's take on it, which of course is the technical explanation! :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779604/earsonics-new-9-ba-driver-flagship-the-s-em9/960#post_13016477

Hi! Ha, that's great, but could you talk more about the treble extension of the galaxy v2, please? Thanks so much!

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #997 of 2,212
Looking at Speakerphone and mine's (V1) measurements:

The extension is pretty alright. Maintains itself to approximately 13K which is pretty standard in terms of TOTL performance.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #998 of 2,212
Hmm, it's hard to tell, but those little spikes in the upper treble could be resonances in the measurement apparatus itself as much as from the earphone. 13k is okay and the last little jump down at 17-18k shows that it doesn't fall off a cliff.

Well, measurements are great, thanks for sharing, but ears are the most important by far.

Since you've heard them, crinacle and speakerphoneCould you share your subjective impressions on how well the bass does against plane/train/subway/outside noise?
How present the mids are?
How well the treble extends for a sense of air over longer listening?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #999 of 2,212
Hmm, it's hard to tell, but those little spikes in the upper treble could be resonances in the measurement apparatus itself as much as from the earphone. 13k is okay and the last little jump down at 17-18k shows that it doesn't fall off a cliff.

Well, measurements are great, thanks for sharing, but ears are the most important by far.

Since you've heard them, @crinacle and @speakerphoneCould you share your subjective impressions on how well the bass does against plane/train/subway/outside noise?

Thanks!

Well high frequency extension is honestly the hardest thing to quantify subjectively considering that so little actually exists in that range. Also it's very easy to bull some praise for underperforming extension; to shill for the sake of shilling as they say. Measurements can't tell a lot in terms of performance, but it's not like one can fake extension on both ends. That's very easy to spot from a simple FR curve and you can simply filter out obvious resonances in your mind.

That said, in my opinion the Galaxy is more enjoyable than the Solar and one step higher on a technical level. Bass is meaty, dark and suffers no articulation issues typical of BA woofers. Unfortunately, due to the design of the shell it does not fit and isolate very well on my ears, so I can't see myself using it in public.

Mids are full-bodied and warm with enough sparkle up top for energy. Presented closer to the background in the virtual space. Great for male vocals, not as great for female vocals. Just enough smoothness for a musical presentation more than an analytical one, but not overly so as to gloss over essential microdetails.

Airiness is... average, though my benchmark for that would be the Jomo Samba and the UERM. Still enough where it can convey decently wide soundspace.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #1,000 of 2,212
Agreed somewhat on the soundspace. To my ears, it's somewhat eliptical dome with you placed somewhere centre and back slightly with a slight forwardness to the mids. It's also my first time hearing instruments placed "ahead" in front of the mids. Some songs where I'm used to hearing those said instruments on the same plane as the vocals have suddenly "appeared" further forward on the sides, like diagonally forward.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,001 of 2,212

Since you've heard them, @crinacle and @speakerphoneCould you share your subjective impressions on how well the bass does against plane/train/subway/outside noise?

Thanks!

In the context of what you own, the Galaxy is very much Katana than K10... & then the Galaxy is visceral where Katana is cerebral.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,002 of 2,212
Crinacle

Do you own the v1 or v2?

Also, if any galaxy owners haven't tried and are able to, give the dark Knight cable a shot. You will be very pleasantly surprised

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,003 of 2,212

Thanks!

Galaxies are vented DD IEMs. So there is definitely going to be aslight compromise in isolation. But these IEMs pack a punch when it comes to bass. These are not bassy IEMs but rather controlled bass with good impact, rumble and extension. Isolation depends on the eartips too. As long as you have good seal, you shouldn't have to worry about the bass on the Galaxies. 

Unlike how we can describe the qualities of other frequencies, it is not possible to describe the qualities of the treble extension. It is a quality by itself. It offers a sense of coherency, continuity and precision to the presentation. It influences the resolution, which in turn impacts other aspects such as transparency and precision. Not many IEMs have good extension. Even some of the TOTL IEMs that are capable of extension wouldn't show the extension out of the box because, they usually come paired with a very basic cable (IMO and IME). Great thing about Galaxy is that it comes bundled with a good cable.

Oh btw, for a more airy presentation and for longer listening, Galaxy V2 might be the better choice as it is more forgiving..

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,004 of 2,212
With the Galaxy V2 a few things to note from my experience:

a) I did a complete burn in 50 hrs and then 50 hrs more. I found a much more detailed signature developed when I arrived at the 100 hr. I ran a multiple type genre playlist in order to get it to be exposed to EDM speed, rock type bass, pure vocals and classic music
b) On the subject of tips ,

-I found the Spin Fit and Whirlwind to give you a brighter/airy signature which I am assuming has to do with the isolation effect plus the gave a good lenght 
-Comply gave me isolation so less airy but some good bass 
-JVC Spiral dots bass really went up and its presence was noticeable. I am assuming as these are shorter and basically allows the IEM nozzle to hit the ear sidewall directly and bounced maybe create that additional impact

All in all great. The weight of the shell has not bother me whatsoever

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,005 of 2,212
Crinacle

Do you own the v1 or v2?

Also, if any galaxy owners haven't tried and are able to, give the dark Knight cable a shot. You will be very pleasantly surprised

Yup, my favourite pairing with the Galaxy V2. A better match than OCC MKII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back