Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,266 of 2,508
You burned them for 200 hours, and then listened to 300 more in the last 1-2 months? Damn son, that's some serious dedication.

Not even sure if I've listened to them for 300 hours in the past half year!

They pretty much hang off my ears all day long. Whether they are inserted or not, I leave the dap playing in random.
I also use them as hearing protection around power tools, and angry wife. Lol

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,267 of 2,508
Some detailled written and interesting impressions!
There are many reviews out there (probably including my own :D ) that are less informative than these impressions on itself => looking forward to your full review :rolleyes:  

Thank you mate. I appreciate that, there are already good reviews of Solar :)

I will also add some comparisons with Se5, EE Zeus and AAW W500 to review.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,268 of 2,508
Thank you mate. I appreciate that, there are already good reviews of Solar
smily_headphones1.gif

I will also add some comparisons with Se5, EE Zeus and AAW W500 to review.

I meant HF reviews in general, not only the specific Solar ones 
biggrin.gif

Interesting (and heavyweights) comparisons => bring it on (whenever you're up to it)
cool.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,269 of 2,508
I am often just left standing there completely speechless by the music.
What I find very good is the Solar can sound spectacular on any source, it's simply not fussy, seriously a $40 dap will get you dancing.
But plug it in to the ZX2, and I'm in a musical fantasy land.

I'm assuming you're using a 3.5mm TRRS terminated cable as well with the ZX2?

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,270 of 2,508
I'm assuming you're using a 3.5mm TRRS terminated cable as well with the ZX2?

I have not bothered to redo the plug as yet, the Solar in trs sound fine, I'm sure the sound stage will improve when terminated in TRRS 3.5mm on the ZX2, but I have been using the Solar on other trs based devices. So I have been stalling the job for now, but not for much longer.
I am curious what the changes will bring.:spy:
I have another solid core silver cable already terminated in TRRS, I need to order some pins for it compatible with the Solar. And I'll leave the silver/gold cable in TRS for general compatibility for now.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #2,271 of 2,508
I have not bothered to redo the plug as yet, the Solar in trs sound fine, I'm sure the sound stage will improve when terminated in TRRS 3.5mm on the ZX2, but I have been using the Solar on other trs based devices. So I have been stalling the job for now, but not for much longer.
I am curious what the changes will bring.:spy:

Me too, my personal experience has been positive, both with the Angie now and the Savant previously. Would be interesting to hear your feedback after you get around to it.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,272 of 2,508
Me too, my personal experience has been positive, both with the Angie now and the Savant previously. Would be interesting to hear your feedback after you get around to it.
I'll order some pins in the morning, I should have a TRRS setup soon for the Solar, I'll report back once I do.
On the ue900 I had very positive results in TRRS.
The Solar out performed the UE900 in every way, even in TRS. So it will be very good to hear the Solar reterminated in TRRS for the ZX2. The baldur mk3 cable is just sitting there now, so I should use it on the Solar, it's an impressive cable.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,273 of 2,508
I am very close to putting an order for the Galaxy, but before I do can somebody explain the single driver vs multiple driver theory.  Why would the single driver sound "better" than the multiple driver?  It seems some very high end iems are 10,12 drivers, but there a few single drivers in that list too.  Slightly confused - can somebody please explain...  

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,274 of 2,508
  I am very close to putting an order for the Galaxy, but before I do can somebody explain the single driver vs multiple driver theory.  Why would the single driver sound "better" than the multiple driver?  It seems some very high end iems are 10,12 drivers, but there a few single drivers in that list too.  Slightly confused - can somebody please explain...  

People get too caught up in driver count. Can it make a difference? Yes it can, but its not the end of all when you decide to buy. The Galaxy is a single driver which is a Dynamic, they look like what you are use to seeing a speaker look like. Multiple drive IEM's and CIEM's use BA drivers, known as balanced armature. Then you have hybrids also that can use a combination of both technologies. Thats just a short explanation for you.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #2,275 of 2,508

People get too caught up in driver count. Can it make a difference? Yes it can, but its not the end of all when you decide to buy. The Galaxy is a single driver which is a Dynamic, they look like what you are use to seeing a speaker look like. Multiple drive IEM's and CIEM's use BA drivers, known as balanced armature. Then you have hybrids also that can use a combination of both technologies. Thats just a short explanation for you.

Thank you - I really appreciate you explaining this to me.  I am new to this level of iem.  I do know that I want something is going to do the music justice. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,276 of 2,508
In a word, coherence. Single dynamic drivers span the entire sound spectrum for a coherent sound from bass to mids to treble. Multi-BA IEMs require the help of active or passive crossovers for tuning since each BA covers a specific region of sound. So it's much harder to tune to sound seamless. In theory multi-BAs are technically better, since a driver just covers a small region of sound compared to a single dynamic. But getting them to sound coherent, as a unit, takes much expertise and drives up cost.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,277 of 2,508
Let's also not forget "black magic" things such as time alignment via sound tube/bores :)   Single driver IEMs don't have that potential problem.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,278 of 2,508
Using multiple balanced armature, you can specify the types BA's used, and sizes for specific frequency ranges, you can also tune them using different dampers, and passive crossovers. This opens a world of possibility's for tuning, however having so many components in the chain, also brings it's own problems.
Where a single driver can do away with complexities, and not have the same frequency peaks from crossover points.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,279 of 2,508
Let me just say the Ultrasone demo CD is outrageous on the Galaxy.    Burn in should be done this week sometime.

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,280 of 2,508
I'm getting my ear impressions done tomorrow. It's my first time down this path. Any pointers/suggestions/warnings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back