Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jan 23, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,460 of 2,057
Today i received my new Sennheiser 800S . I had great expectations of the new Sennheisers but was very disappointed by the sound of the Sennheiser.  Out of the box  ,comparing to my Final Pandora 6  the sound stage was rather small  and  compact and  the music was more laid back and thin  and sounded  by far not so full , dynamic and open as the Pandora's. The Pandora's involves you more to the music and gives me a more satisfying music experience . So just i realized how good the Pandora 's are.   I give the Sennheiser's 50 hours to burn in. If by then they are not open up and sound beter ,I think if that's the case they rather overpriced and I will send them back. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,461 of 2,057
Haven't heard the 800s, but tryin what I've read and my experience with the 650s, what you have supplying music and power upstream really makes a huge difference with these headphones.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,462 of 2,057
Today i received my new Sennheiser 800S . I had great expectations of the new Sennheisers but was very disappointed by the sound of the Sennheiser.  Out of the box  ,comparing to my Final Pandora 6  the sound stage was rather small  and  compact and  the music was more laid back and thin  and sounded  by far not so full , dynamic and open as the Pandora's. The Pandora's involves you more to the music and gives me a more satisfying music experience . So just i realized how good the Pandora 's are.   I give the Sennheiser's 50 hours to burn in. If by then they are not open up and sound beter ,I think if that's the case they rather overpriced and I will send them back. 

What amplifier are you driving the 800s with. The pandora a barely need an amp but the 800s need a fairly robust one.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,464 of 2,057
I  use the ifi Audio micro idsd and the Audeze Deckard  both do not have any problem with the Sennheiser HD 800S

Actually I would say those are the problem, it's not about volume. The lack soundstage and the thin sound both are due to the amplification. One is a portable amp and the other is made for low impedance headphones. They just can't drive the 800s properly, or to their potential. I have five or six amps and the one that sounds the best on the Pandora against the one that sounds the best on the 800s put the 800s in a entirely different league. I love the Pandora VI that I have but not up there with the 800s when both are properly fed.

I understand how you feel and of course when you are a acclimated to one headphone it feels right, switching is hard. Add to that the amp shortcomings and I see why you would feel let down by the 800s.

Edit-I haven't been following things, I see the '800s' is a different new headphone introduced at ces. So my comments may be with grain of salt in that my comparisons are with original hd800.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,466 of 2,057
what more do u want to hear out of your current "sound"? 
i think the pandora does quite well out of humble setups,
but there will be improvements in clarity, separtation, depth etc but in decreasing return$$.

i am listening to youtube musical vids on the pandora straight off my McAIr..
and was enjoying it until i saw your post,
 decided to plug in my Audiogd dac amp,,,
there is an immediate improvement in clarity space depth.. definitely CLEARer.
but is it worth $600 more...u have to decide :p

anyway....do pick up a desktop dac/amp if u can spare the cash
your other/future cans will benefit too. :)

=====

edit...your sony is a $500 AMP...? what dac are u using now..
maybe u should invest in a "better" dac? 

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,467 of 2,057
Actually I would say those are the problem, it's not about volume. The lack soundstage and the thin sound both are due to the amplification. One is a portable amp and the other is made for low impedance headphones. They just can't drive the 800s properly, or to their potential. I have five or six amps and the one that sounds the best on the Pandora against the one that sounds the best on the 800s put the 800s in a entirely different league. I love the Pandora VI that I have but not up there with the 800s when both are properly fed.

I understand how you feel and of course when you are a acclimated to one headphone it feels right, switching is hard. Add to that the amp shortcomings and I see why you would feel let down by the 800s.

Edit-I haven't been following things, I see the '800s' is a different new headphone introduced at ces. So my comments may be with grain of salt in that my comparisons are with original hd800.

What amp/dac do you recommend?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,468 of 2,057
The Sony pha-2 is not only à amps but a dac/amp. Well i'm just curious that my pandora hope vi can sound better. As i am now, i'm really enjoy the sound. 600€ more ? This is à THE good question and for now for me it's no, but i'm curious...

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,469 of 2,057
ya, save the $$,  just add some cotton gauze and angle your drivers if it is possible. :p

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,470 of 2,057

Edit-I haven't been following things, I see the '800s' is a different new headphone introduced at ces. So my comments may be with grain of salt in that my comparisons are with original hd800.[/quot
I noticed that there are guite a few people here on this forum that use the Ifi Audio IDSD for amping the HD 800 . They are in regular satisfied about the sound result . Of course there are better (far more expensive ) amps that do a better
Job. According to my supplier are both amps a decent match for the HD 800 but there are better . The Ifi audio IDSD is suitable for amping Hp up to 600 ohm.and the Audeze is a wonderful amp/dac to drive the Pandora 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back