Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
May 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #526 of 2,057

You'd think Final Audio would send him a pair. Or maybe he is just too busy to review every piece of equipment manufacturers send him. 

He's said before that he'd love to, but doesn't have a pair on hand. I don't think FAD is tossing stuff at reviewers too often. 

May 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #527 of 2,057
Is the ears touching the baffle because the pads compress still a problem? I think I've settled on these as my next headphones due a good combination of convenience (closed and easy to drive) and sound quality. If it is, which pads do you guys suggest for good isolation and sound quality?

May 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #528 of 2,057
Is the ears touching the baffle because the pads compress still a problem? I think I've settled on these as my next headphones due a good combination of convenience (closed and easy to drive) and sound quality. If it is, which pads do you guys suggest for good isolation and sound quality?

http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-EDT770S-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401509276&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=beyer+770s+pads
These are the pads I got. They are a thousand times better than the stock pads and don't change the sound quality at all!

May 31, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #532 of 2,057
While waiting the DT880/DT770 pad for PH VI, I tried the Audeze vegan pad. The Audeze pad has bigger diameter but you can still put it on without trouble. Super comfortable and there is no noticeable change in sound to my ear unlike the DT880 velour pad. Note I haven't spend to much time on the PH VI.

May 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #533 of 2,057
I think the pads are maybe designed to be so flat because of the sound. Personally by following statistics, the headphones which have sit closer to my ears have appealed me more because from my experience it leads to more prominent/full-bodied midrange. Midrange seems the first to come forth with having your ears very closely positioned to the drivers.

On my Q40 for example I still use the original very shallow pads and my ears would start to touch the driver protecting grille unless I insert a thin layer of paperroll underneath the pads to increase the depth. At the same time increasing the depth it also changes the sound a bit, with the ears closer to the driver the overall sound is smoother/lusher/thicker/more fullbodied, I get a more intimate soul"ful" listening experience which I personally enjoy although a very little bit added depth is welcome though as otherwise I see the highs lacking slight bit of presence overall but too thick of a paperroll layer then the sound signature becomes a more distant "sterile" sound signature with more sparkle and less warmth (when I think of warmth I think lower midrange; 300 - 1000Hz). 

So my idea the "magical" midrange of these may also be due to the fact the ears sit very close to the drivers giving a very fullbodied sound.

May 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #534 of 2,057
That's why I use the DT770 pads. It still keeps the ear ridges in gentle contact with the grills, but you're not pressed to it, so it's an incredibly minor difference in sound but a MASSIVE difference in comfort. 

May 31, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #535 of 2,057
May 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #536 of 2,057
Carlsan what do you think of the sound?

May 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #537 of 2,057
Carlsan what do you think of the sound?

Burning them in for three days, seem to improve every day.
Real nice, especially for a closed set, really enjoying them.

And thanks for letting me know about the headphone pads I linked above 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #538 of 2,057
If someone could please compare these a bit more in-depth to the JVC DX1000 I think it would be helpful. I'm really lost when it comes to the closed headphone market, to be honest. I've heard the TH600 sounds dry and a bit too bass heavy, so I don't think they're for me. I like the HD650s mids, so I don't think I'll like Audio Technica's liquid midrange. The DX1000 and PH6 seem like the only headphones I would be into.

May 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #539 of 2,057
:beerchug:
Burning them in for three days, seem to improve every day.
Real nice, especially for a closed set, really enjoying them.

And thanks for letting me know about the headphone pads I linked above  :bigsmile_face:  

:beerchug:

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #540 of 2,057
If someone could please compare these a bit more in-depth to the JVC DX1000 I think it would be helpful. I'm really lost when it comes to the closed headphone market, to be honest. I've heard the TH600 sounds dry and a bit too bass heavy, so I don't think they're for me. I like the HD650s mids, so I don't think I'll like Audio Technica's liquid midrange. The DX1000 and PH6 seem like the only headphones I would be into.

DX1000 and DX2000 are too bass heavy. They are not in the same league as PH6 in terms of clarity and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back