Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
May 14, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #466 of 2,057
,,mids are more intimate than the denons...off an iPad :)

May 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #467 of 2,057
Can anyone give me a short comparison to the Signature Pro?

May 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #469 of 2,057
Good, I was hoping so
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks.

Mids are where the PHVI  really shines to my mind.
Lush, intimate, really engagin. Vocals are clear and somehow "personal".

May 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #470 of 2,057
Can anyone give me a short comparison to the Signature Pro?

the sigpro didnt wow me when i auditioned it...but the Pandora struck me "heart" n deep,,
that texture...that depth...that ease...crazy good pair of cans.

( actually i tot my recabled pro900 sounded better than the stock sigpro...but  it had since died a cruel death..sighhhhh )

May 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #471 of 2,057
Mids are where the PHVI  really shines to my mind.
Lush, intimate, really engagin. Vocals are clear and somehow "personal".
I've heard that, but I've also seen people describing the bass as adequate for a bass head. The "bass head" term usually also applies to headphones with so much bass that it messes up the mids. It's just hard to imagine a closed back with a lot of bass that also has such nice mids.

May 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #472 of 2,057
I've heard that, but I've also seen people describing the bass as adequate for a bass head. The "bass head" term usually also applies to headphones with so much bass that it messes up the mids. It's just hard to imagine a closed back with a lot of bass that also has such nice mids.

Yes - I have been part of this discussion.
I would not describe myself as a basshead - I do like to hear bass, but I don't like it to be "overwhelming" or  too much in the foreground. THe PHVI gives you the bass when the music asks for it - if I can put it that way. It provides a punchy bass but still the bass does not dominate the sound.
I had listened to Jun Fukamachi & the New York All Stars with this HP and It drove me tears in my eyes as Michael Brecker's Saxophone and Mike Manieri's Vibraphones were so present - almost as if I was standing in the front row of the hall and beeing in eye contact with the musicians. I don't want to talk BS - but that's how I felt .
You need not have any fear that the bass will somehow distort the middles - It compliments them.

May 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #473 of 2,057

It's hard to explain, but basically what the PH6 manages to do is have huge bass on hugely bassy music and tamed bass when it's more subtle and nuanced. They aren't "basshead" headphones simply because no part of the spectrum is underrepresented, but something in the construction of these is such that if you're listening to orchestral music, the low tones rumble and pulse in a way that is exceedingly rare with headphones while still having every bit of clarity up the spectrum.

The only way I can think to explain it is imagine the difference between EQ'ing a speaker for more bass and adding a subwoofer for more powerful bass. These are the latter. The dynamic/BAD combo means that if the song has a big burly bassline to it, these will hammer it hard. However, if it doesn't, the song won't sound all imbalanced thanks to a wonky artificial response curve. 

May 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #474 of 2,057
PH6 starting sound like a headphone I might have to check out, I don't demand lots of audible bass but I really need a punchy / impactful bass. I also like a more forward / intimate / in-your-face midrange which these should deliver.

The hardstyle genre I listen to the most these days might be overkill with a headphone of this cost, but if it can provide the punchiness in the bass this genre is about I might consider as I also listen to other stuff and well even a genre like hardstyle benefits by a "phat" sounding lead/screech when the midrange is able to deliver it. Q40 does a good job both in the bass and mids, highs are grain-free so that works also well for this otherwise pretty crispy sounding genre so that's kind of important that the highs are free of graininess.

Here's an example if some PH6 owner cares to try:

The most interesting this would be how you find it capable of the bass, hardstyle genre isn't so much about audible quantity bass but very focused bass that you feel "pounding" (which this track here does a very good job at why I picked it) but the bass kind of disappears in the background, I call it sometimes "invisible" bass because the decay is fast and it just slams without having that much of an audible bass in the mix, what you hear is the midfrequencies mixed into the bass beat to give it a harder sound as well as the rest of the track, lead and screeches etc but the bass itself doesn't take that much space.

May 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #475 of 2,057
I listen to euphoric hard style sometimes, I like it with the aggression of my HE-400's but sometimes the bass seems too tight. It's mostly the mid bass that I hear and then it's gone. I think I prefer it with my stereo which has a longer but slightly less defined bass punch that you can feel. It doesn't lack the sub-bass in hard style like the HE-400's do.

I hope the PH6 delivers for this genre as well.

May 15, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #477 of 2,057
If these really are as good as you guys say they are, then I'll have to lend Tyll my pair when I get them (eventually). He could give them the exposure they deserve.

That would be supercool by you! I really think they deserve that based on the user experience in this thread. At least I'm very interested in seeing the measurements too.

May 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #478 of 2,057
hmmm....i want the price to head SOUTH.....not NORTH....lolz

i have to shout this is the worst headfone i ever heard...worse than beats !!!

May 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #480 of 2,057

I have had the Pandora VI for about two weeks now, and while I don't like to say too much until I really feel like I "know" a headphone, I will say that the bass is quite good all things considered. It strikes me as a bit more than ideal and just a bit bloomy, but doesn't obscure the rest of the range. Unlike something like the Sennheiser IE8 that was (to me) unacceptable in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back