Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #7,426 of 9,388
Thank you MasZakrY!

If I order the standard version, only with pot upgrade. Am I then required to solder the HDAMs to ground, if I get one later on?

I also think that some of the OPA627 I've seen look a bit curious. Are they knock-offs maybe? I think then I'd rather source them myself.

I checked out the possibility of ordering samples of the LT1364 but there seemed to be several different versions, which is the correct one?

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #7,427 of 9,388
OPA-Earth has generally been preferred around here for its neutrality. OPA-Moon is a bit new, people are still trying them out but the impressions seem very positive.

you don't need to solder a ground for the Hdam, although some would argue that you solder it to the RCA ground.. but in doing so I didn't notice any signifigant differences in sq

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #7,428 of 9,388
After a short period of testing I would prefer Earth over Moon. Both are good, but Earth is a bit more neutral and universal for more headphones - good match for Senn 580/600/650 and AKG701. I am not sure about synergy Moon - AKG701 yet. All can however change a little over time with the burn-in process etc. But other ears - other cheers, I would recommend to try them both and choose to your taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7,429 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by khaller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, everyone! I have just ordered an 'upgraded' Zero, my first amp. It's coming with a dual-OPA627 for the DAC, but I have no idea what opamps will drive the preamp/headphone section. Any ideas? The link is:

ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110287182130 end time Nov-15-08 13:00:00 PST)

Also, I'm considering getting an HDAM as well, but can't seem to narrow it down based on research. If I were to choose one of either the Moon or the Earth, which should I order first and why? (I'll be using this with either a DT880 or HD600, or both.)
smily_headphones1.gif

I have ordered from this guy before, the stock LT's are in the headphone section

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #7,430 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you MasZakrY!

If I order the standard version, only with pot upgrade. Am I then required to solder the HDAMs to ground, if I get one later on?

I also think that some of the OPA627 I've seen look a bit curious. Are they knock-offs maybe? I think then I'd rather source them myself.

I checked out the possibility of ordering samples of the LT1364 but there seemed to be several different versions, which is the correct one?

I *think* they are knockoffs. They do not have Burr Brown's stamp nor the same white silk screening. I ordered from that exact seller, wsz0304 very recently, and did NOT get LT1364's (got NE5532P instead
frown.gif
) so you should order them right now before your Zero arrives. The standard version + GD Earth HDAM and free LT1364CN8#PBF <-- yes that is the exact one you want, and is the way to go for sure. Has anyone here had to pay for shipping on their Linear samples order? If so there is a very easy way to make sure you don't have to pay for shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
PM me.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #7,434 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

Jessica Alba sure has a purdy smile.

Too busy with school and it was taking up my desk space for homework LOL. But if I were to get one again, I would definitely change those capacitors again and everything. A fun experience I'd say.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7,435 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Zero compare to the KECES DA-151?

The 151 is USB, the Zero is not.

It would be interesting to compare them including some opamp rolling. If the opamp in the Keces is socketed, you could put a HDAM in place of it and whichever you bought, you'd have a great DAC.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #7,436 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will take time, it uses DSP for reprogramming. the difficulty is to achieve breakthrough in USB->spdif conversion. Current technology offers are quite limited.

Oh yea? So USB-spdif conversion isn't that great huh. How good (or bad) is the Xitel DG2 that is often included with the Zero?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been stated here that Zero owners prefer the sound of COAX to optical.

Again...oh yea? Should I try both and see or just go for coax? I don't have any digital coax cables and only basic (ie: cheapies that come with equipment) opticals. If I actually pay for an optical I'd get a nice glass fiber one, what's a good coax though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I *think* they are knockoffs. They do not have Burr Brown's stamp nor the same white silk screening. I ordered from that exact seller, wsz0304 very recently, and did NOT get LT1364's (got NE5532P instead
frown.gif
) so you should order them right now before your Zero arrives. The standard version + GD Earth HDAM and free LT1364CN8#PBF <-- yes that is the exact one you want, and is the way to go for sure. Has anyone here had to pay for shipping on their Linear samples order? If so there is a very easy way to make sure you don't have to pay for shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
PM me.

To be fair the headphone section opamp isn't specified and that is the type noted in the first posts in this thread. I know how to get samples from LT, should I just do that now instead of waiting to see what comes with mine?

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #7,437 of 9,388
yes request them now as they take about a week to arrive. You'll get impatient waiting after the zero arrives.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7,438 of 9,388
An interesting source of Toslink cables someone linked to here. I'm using a Van Den Hul Optocoupler as I got it ex-demo and it has a proper mini-plug connector for my MacBook Pro. I'm curious about what's at that link though.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #7,439 of 9,388
You should email them and see if their Toslink cables are glass fiber. Whlie it's implied that's all they make it's not clearly stated for the cables and you can never be sure or too careful.

I'll get some of the LT's on the way. Are they generally regarded as the best HA opamps? I prefer neutral with little to no coloration, maybe a little bit of taking off any digital edge at most. The whole super-indepth opamp section of this thread starts where I trailed off reading.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #7,440 of 9,388
hi all, i am new here
icon10.gif

i have some questions about the Zero.

which of the cables are sound signal ? i found 8 of them connecting the pre-amp and the HP-amp and i would like to replace with better cables.

has any of you been doing that ? any good ?

ps: it's real hard to read back all that 700+ pages for me
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back