Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6,031 of 9,388
When playing 3 HDAM/OPA, please measure the V+ and V- (Pin 4 and Pin 8)

if the voltage drops below 15Vdc, it is clear sign of resource drain.

Also HD650 has high resistance and require lower current. but to drive hd650 require higher signal voltage. A voltage drop will present the distortion as heard.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #6,032 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thot of this at first, but realise there is a pair of coupling capacitor that is parallel to the V+ and V- if I am right. So I wonder how to hook up the V+ and V-.

PP,

I think u need the +15V and -15 voltage rail to feed in. U will need a return loop to the tranny to complete the circuit right. Again the capacitor on top. Can u find the coupling capacitor and feed the V+ and V- before the coupling cap.

Your right CC and AP, thanks to both of you....I've made the changes to my order and now have the correct reg and toroid on the way.

AP what's your thoughts on this latest question raised about the coupling caps on the main pcb ?

Peete.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #6,033 of 9,388
Zero and Audio-gd packages will be here today, woo!

Looking forward to hearing a good dac on some of my Pink Floyd. I'm used to the DACs in my iPod/iMac/Airport Express.
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #6,034 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true. I do have both, and I enjoy both for their differences. My preference is to listen to the HD-650s. After they mature, I don't think there is a nicer audiophile headphone out there. The HD-600s are more forward and brighter, which works great for solid state amps. I will use them frequently with my MKV amp. It is nice to be able to choose which I want to use. As far as usage goes, I'd say I use the HD-650s 80% and the HD-600s 20% of the time. For the HD-600s, this is just enough to warrant keeping them.

Things have changed a little for me here in my office/lab. Every amp I own voices well with both HD-650s and HD-600s, so I take advantage of that. I do find the HD-650s every bit as revealing, dynamic and clear as the HD-600s, so nothing is lost by listening to either one. There is just something special about the final sound of the HD-650s. I never get tired of listening to them, ever. That one little fact makes them my favorite for recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Pench, I feel all soft and mooshy now, 'cos, to quote HeadRoom I have "shelled out big and cried once" and bought a set of brand new 650s for a good price. No, make that an exceptional price compared to buying new in NZ!!
They are described as creating a musical synergy that maybe second to none (differing opinions accepted) and that is something I highly prize in listening to music, in the way I prize rhythmic integrity - any piece of kit that is sluggish and slow in the bass dynamics doesn't stay in my home for long. I'm sold. I appreciate the opinions of you guys, cheers!
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #6,035 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the ability to try those two, I was going to get the Denon's used for $130 like new. I will have to call around to see if anyone has the HD600's for listening tests.

I listen to a wide variety of music. I am also in the PC game development industry, so soundstage is important.

Trax, mate, you just might find the Denons a bit much with the Zero's head amp ..... unless you really like massive bass output. I have a set of the D1000s and although they are not as high a class as the D2000s, there is the family resemblance of very extended bass. The Zero's amp, IMO, doesn't have the crisp bass control needed to keep the Denons in check, at least until you start rolling op-amps etc to tighten things up a bit. I personally find the Zero amp pleasant, yet too warm and cuddly for my liking. I think I'm just used to the speed of KHA.
I too, right up until last night, was seriously considering the D2000s, as I find that the Denons have a way of communicating music that is just plain fun, far more so than than the more analytical HD555s, despite their superior openness and bass speed. All IMHO, of course. I have heard some punters describe the D1000s as bass light and I had to wonder if they just thought the ear cups were there to catch the blood! I like 'em cos I can plug 'em into anything, they're very efficient and sound great with my Meier 2Move. Actually, the 2Move sounds great out of the Zero's DAC, very smooth and clean. Hope this helps at all, cheers buddy.
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #6,036 of 9,388
The S-man has had two parcels arrive in the mail today, a Brown Dog adapter and the NOS pot from Lawrence. Now I can use the LT1028s that I bought from DIY kits; so I popped them in the BD and immediately put them in place of the OPA2134 in KHA. I brought them as 'used', though I have no idea how used they actually are. Anyhoo, after 10 mins or so I had to just make sure they worked ok and popped the Senn 555s and the Denon D1000s (KHA has two sockets and the diff cans are nearly the same impedance). Crikey these op-amps sound really reeaally good in this position, Eva Cassidy is simply captivating - you know ... where you lean into the music because it's got your attention, no sibilance, no edge, just smooth, clean and open, tight and warm bass.
Something I've noticed whenever I've used two single op-amps (627s and 1028s) either in the DAC or KHA is the superior focus and imaging and soundstaging compared to using a dual op-amp. VERY nice!

The other package contained the NOS volume pot and I must have been expecting something more, because I was a little disappointed with the pot. I had been imagining something more like an ALPS Blue and this looks like a standard old pot with detents that may actually be no better at all than the pot already in the Zero. Is this what you got, Penchum and PP? It used to be an 8 leg pot that has had the two RHS legs cut off (facing the front of the pot) leaving 6 remaining. Hmmm.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #6,037 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, it's between the D2000's and AD900's now. I never thought the Denon's needed a super good amp to power them.

you don't need a super good amp for the denons, I'm using a D5000 with the zero headamp, and loving every bit of it, especially after rolling opamps.

Could it be better? Definitely. But for the price performance ratio I'm very pleased.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #6,039 of 9,388
I think I may still go with the Denon's, because I do plan on getting a new amp eventually, and I think anything I hear will blow me away compared to these $20 Cyber Acoustics.

I have a question though, Would a Little Dot I+ with a Zero working as the DAC be able to drive them better?

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #6,040 of 9,388
I must ask AudioGd to send me the new extension lead (last expidition was without it), and I'm wondering if I can ask for a little shorter version, like 75mm it will be good for the zero? To my eye it seems possible, who can help me?
thanks!

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #6,042 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snip

The other package contained the NOS volume pot and I must have been expecting something more, because I was a little disappointed with the pot. I had been imagining something more like an ALPS Blue and this looks like a standard old pot with detents that may actually be no better at all than the pot already in the Zero. Is this what you got, Penchum and PP? It used to be an 8 leg pot that has had the two RHS legs cut off (facing the front of the pot) leaving 6 remaining. Hmmm.

Yes, that is the correct one. It is much better than the stock pot, for sure!
Don't let the looks fool you. Once in place and doing it's thing, you'll like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #6,043 of 9,388
Hi PP,

do u want to consider upgrade the cable running from the DAC board to the headphone board. That wire look kind of tiny and unshielded.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #6,044 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi PP,

do u want to consider upgrade the cable running from the DAC board to the headphone board. That wire look kind of tiny and unshielded.

LOL sure why not
smily_headphones1.gif
I have some very nice cable from DIY HI FI Supply I can use !!!

Peete.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #6,045 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is the correct one. It is much better than the stock pot, for sure!
Don't let the looks fool you. Once in place and doing it's thing, you'll like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks have nothing to do with superior function in this case (and mine
biggrin.gif
).

The Alps pot is indeed a SQ upgrade and the price is right
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back