Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #5,176 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrea again. Same ole' Sheit.

have u misfire, hope it end up on Anrea. I smell andrea and he was gone.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #5,177 of 9,388
With regards to headphone OPA, I have to say it again that I am no head-philer. I merely convey the message by the designer in his DIY discussion forum. Chinese though. However I hope when the item arrive in Malaysia, I can get some of the guys to do a review with discrete opamp.

That is just some of us, ZERO TEAM.

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/616812/+1120

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #5,178 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With regards to headphone OPA, I have to say it again that I am no head-philer. I merely convey the message by the designer in his DIY discussion forum. Chinese though. However I hope when the item arrive in Malaysia, I can get some of the guys to do a review with discrete opamp.

That is just some of us, ZERO TEAM.

Lowyat.NET -> The ZERO DAC + Headamp (NO 56K)

Yep. I just sent them an email asking for prices, so we'll see if I can afford to get a couple. The audio-gd HDAM I have, is a real pleasure and has done great things for my first Zero. Now, my second Zero is upset and wants the earth unit I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #5,179 of 9,388
I hope I have not talked about the OPA Earth and Sun like the 3rd Jesus coming.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #5,181 of 9,388
Quote:

I hope I have not talked about the OPA Earth and Sun like the 3rd Jesus coming.

Ow, I don't think so. Discrete modules in one form or another, have been around for quite some time, and their performance in "general" has always been very good. For the price they seem to be asking right now, this appears to be the time when those of us on a tight budget, can acquire a couple without breaking the bank.
smily_headphones1.gif
With the audio-gd working so well for me, I can hardly resist getting the "earth" model.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #5,182 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumpXP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that the toroidal wire that causes the vibration in zero? what's its function btw?

and lastly, my usb/spdif converter is just capable of 48KHz 24bit convertion, am i losing much compared of that 192KHz?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

edited: Oh, the toroidal wire is the transformer. So i suppose it convert AC to DC, am i right?

For the vibration, take a look and make sure there is a pad of some kind already installed under the transformer, and usually there is one on top too. If that is good, then check to make sure the bolt that secures it to the case, is tight enough. Sometimes, even a little turn tighter will eliminate any vibration.
smily_headphones1.gif

Many of us with sound cards that will go to the higher settings, have found that the 44khz at 16bit (CD standard) still sounds the best, so we use that lower setting. I think you'll be just fine with these settings too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Give them a try and see what sounds best for your setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #5,183 of 9,388
Quote:

Ow, I don't think so. Discrete modules in one form or another, have been around for quite some time, and their performance in "general" has always been very good. For the price they seem to be asking right now, this appears to be the time when those of us on a tight budget, can acquire a couple without breaking the bank.
smily_headphones1.gif
With the audio-gd working so well for me, I can hardly resist getting the "earth" model.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the OPA-Earth is quite similar to HDAM in terms of sound output. Only difference is the parameters used and the method of construction (earth wire, pcb, etc). This was mentioned earlier. Dont equate OPA Sun with HDAM.

Whereas OPA Sun will sound slightly different, more dynamic and responsive.

I would hope u would get the free 1 to 1 promo, and give us your review on OPA Sun too.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5,184 of 9,388
Quote:

Many of us with sound cards that will go to the higher settings, have found that the 44khz at 16bit (CD standard) still sounds the best, so we use that lower setting. I think you'll be just fine with these settings too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Give them a try and see what sounds best for your setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

It really depends on the source. If you're using CDs (or mp3s, FLAC, whathaveyou sourced from CDs) then 44.1 is the best - you won't notice any benefit from upsampling to any other rate - in fact depending on the hardware you may notice a negative impact. That said, if you have music that is SOURCED at a higher rate (like DVD-A, SACD, or flacs from a place like Hi-Def Tape Transfers, or perhaps some hi-rate vinyl rips (my personal favorite
smily_headphones1.gif
) then you'd be missing out if your card can't go up to at least 96khz/24bit. That's why I use bit-perfect out from my x-fi. Switches the clock to the proper rate on the fly. So if I'm playing a DVD-A, it switches to 96khz, until a CD is played - then it will switch back to 44.1khz. Make sense?

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5,185 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My babies were delivered today , a boy and a girl .. Ok jokes aside , my OPA-SUN & OPA Earth arrived from Audio-GD . I got an email from Kingwa on Monday and arrived today Friday with Priority DHL and was well packaged . snip...

Hey there - thanks for the info. Definitely awaiting your thoughts on the Earth. Based on the write-ups I like the sound of the Earth better - more neutral, for a pristine feed to my MKIII... just like the sound of that...

Anyway, was curious as to where you are located. Don't think I've seen anyone from the US actually receive their units yet, and I'm itching to know how long to expect to wait...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #5,186 of 9,388
From the audio-gd forum, he seems quite busy with the order, at least given that we have completed the order for 10 sets here in Malaysia.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #5,187 of 9,388
Quote:

From the audio-gd forum, he seems quite busy with the order, at least given that we have completed the order for 10 sets here in Malaysia.

Oh well geez... thanks a LOT!
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #5,189 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I ordered the OPA-Sun + the free OPA-Earth today. When I get mine in I will be happy to review them.

I placed the same order today
smily_headphones1.gif
. Though, after reading today's posts in this thread, I'm wondering whether I'd have got a free OPA-Sun if I bought the cheaper OPA-Earth...

Might have done myself out of $8 there.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5,190 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed the same order today
smily_headphones1.gif
. Though, after reading today's posts in this thread, I'm wondering whether I'd have got a free OPA-Sun if I bought the cheaper OPA-Earth...

Might have done myself out of $8 there.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Hum, I don't know. Did someone in the thread order the Earth and get the Sun for free?? Oh well either way its only 8 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back