Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #3,571 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengzhe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zero was punished for copying during the zhaolu D1.3

I'm pretty sure that as a representative of Zhaolu, your post has little value here. Any one of us can see ALL of your posts, so conclusions are easy. Have a great day!

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #3,572 of 9,388
Rather than arguing over whether it is or isn't a copy, how about some comments from impartial owners who have both comparing and contrasting the two?

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #3,573 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinotaurUK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather than arguing over whether it is or isn't a copy, how about some comments from impartial owners who have both comparing and contrasting the two?

It is just ANDREA again. Please ignore him. There were a few comparisons earlier on, but I don't remember the model numbers. Anyway, the Zero did pretty well, considering it cost less and had a better headphone amp by default, so no one thought too much on the subject.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #3,574 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is just ANDREA again. Please ignore him. There were a few comparisons earlier on, but I don't remember the model numbers. Anyway, the Zero did pretty well, considering it cost less and had a better headphone amp by default, so no one thought too much on the subject.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeez, this Andrea "person"(?) keeps popping up... We need a FAQ about this
confused.gif

I'm loving the ZERO currently with LT1469 (DAC) / LT1364 (amp) currently with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. Tried the LT1057 in the DAC and was underwhelmed by what seemed to be the bass and treble "sucked" out resulting in a dark mid-range sound.

Hopefully my OPA627's from tube_buyer arrives in a couple days to have a taste of OPA627/LT1364 goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #3,576 of 9,388
Its like I said, anyone with <10posts giving opamp recommendations in this thread is Andrea. He's got no life, and somehow is very persistent on letting us all know.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #3,578 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the DAC section.

Just slot in the 2xLT 1028 in browndog. Found the opamp not stable, you can hear the hissing sound and the opamp is so bloody hot.

Also Tried the LT 1469, the vocal is quite sharp at the edges. You can hear the Ssss instead of Sshhh.

Looks like LT 1358 is here for the tube lover.

I believe you are right on the LT1028's and the LT1469 in the Zero's DAC. The LT1028's sounded like crap, and the LT1469's had mixed highs and the dynamics were smaller.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #3,579 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, this Andrea "person"(?) keeps popping up... We need a FAQ about this
confused.gif

I'm loving the ZERO currently with LT1469 (DAC) / LT1364 (amp) currently with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. Tried the LT1057 in the DAC and was underwhelmed by what seemed to be the bass and treble "sucked" out resulting in a dark mid-range sound.

Hopefully my OPA627's from tube_buyer arrives in a couple days to have a taste of OPA627/LT1364 goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

The LT1057 in the Zero's DAC, sounds very bad. Try this little experiment, and see if you like it: Put the LT1364 in the DAC and the LT1469's in the headphone amp, and give it a listen. There should be a marked improvement vs. the other way around (I hope).
smily_headphones1.gif
The OPA627's from tube_buyer will be great! Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #3,580 of 9,388
Ok, so 'it was punished', do you honestly think that anyone care's??? And All this crap about the LT1028?? It sounds like crap!

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #3,581 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so 'it was punished', do you honestly think that anyone care's??? And All this crap about the LT1028?? It sounds like crap!

Amen, Roger that, X2, spot on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #3,582 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LT1057 in the Zero's DAC, sounds very bad. Try this little experiment, and see if you like it: Put the LT1364 in the DAC and the LT1469's in the headphone amp, and give it a listen. There should be a marked improvement vs. the other way around (I hope).
smily_headphones1.gif
The OPA627's from tube_buyer will be great! Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the set up I have been using to run my RS-1s and I have to say that I am so happy with it, I epoxied heatsinks to the opamps and screwed the case back up.

If a small wad of cash falls in my lap, I may chase down some 627s and drop my extra 1364s in the amp, but for now I am doing what this was made for...listening to music! (And it sounds great.)

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3,583 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do not completely agree. From my testing, I think that the LT1028 is rather good, and if it was safe to use, I would do even more testing. Since Penchum didn't like it, it might not be very good with Sennheisers, as I belive thats the only brand he has (nothing wrong in being a fan of only one brand though). I find it to be good enough to still be interesting for the Beyers/Grados/AD2K I've tried it with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlosborne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the set up I have been using to run my RS-1s and I have to say that I am so happy with it, I epoxied heatsinks to the opamps and screwed the case back up.

If a small wad of cash falls in my lap, I may chase down some 627s and drop my extra 1364s in the amp, but for now I am doing what this was made for...listening to music! (And it sounds great.)

I also use the LT1469 in the amp with RS1 and find it to be a very good pairing. For dac I mostly use OPA627 (do not know if the are they fake or not??? They do sound very very good though).

EDIT: One thing I like about the LT1028 is the to my ears lack of warmth. If a person wants warmth, than maybe he will indeed think that the LT1028 suck.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3,584 of 9,388
For the most interesting part, I went to buy 4d(lotto, number forecast or what so ever). I bet 1358, 1469, 4562, and guess what I got the price for that 1469.

Sorry digress. I am still burning in the so many opamp that I have. I just wonder how to make the 1028 unity gain stable. This time dont fool around, you almost fry my 1028.

Hope to hear the review on HDAM fast. Do you think we can get this HDAM from China rather than Burson.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #3,585 of 9,388
Do the LT1364 need heatsinks even in the headphone amp?
I think I'll first try lt1358 in the dac+lt1364 in the amp when my zero's burn in is over and if I'm not satisfied I'll get the opa627 (I'll get them even if I'm satisfied I'm sure just to see how good they really are
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back