Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 2, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #3,316 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. Whatever makes people happy I suppose.

Psychoacoustic effects are a very odd thing indeed. People spend money on cables and want to hear a difference in order to justify their purchase, so they do.

I'll join in, just briefly, to say that I've generally been skeptical about the touted benefits of high-priced cables, but I've just succumbed to replacing the standard cable on my Sennheiser 595's with a custom made $85 cable, and I "think" I perceive an improvement. But then headphone cables are not transmitting digital signals, so I suppose there is more of a rationale for improving headphone cables (I guess).

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #3,317 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll join in, just briefly, to say that I've generally been skeptical about the touted benefits of high-priced cables, but I've just succumbed to replacing the standard cable on my Sennheiser 595's with a custom made $85 cable, and I "think" I perceive an improvement. But then headphone cables are not transmitting digital signals, so I suppose there is more of a rationale for improving headphone cables (I guess).

I can buy into (some) cable upgrades when you're dealing with analog signals, but that's a completely different topic.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #3,318 of 9,388
Say what??? Anyways...

Other than the Alps vol. pot, and better opamps, are there any other good bang for the buck mods any of you know of?

Cheers all, lets get this show back on the road!

JIm

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #3,319 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can buy into (some) cable upgrades when you're dealing with analog signals, but that's a completely different topic.

First time I connected my Zero to my LDIII I had some really cheap RCA cables. I swapped them for some thicker shielded ones and it sounded much better.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #3,320 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time I connected my Zero to my LDIII I had some really cheap RCA cables. I swapped them for some thicker shielded ones and it sounded much better.

Again, that's analog, not digital. I won't argue that higher quality cables sound better when dealing with analog sources.

Digital is digital. You're either going to hear sound or not hear sound. Period. No noise, no static, no "warmer" or "cooler" sounds. It's strictly black and white.

What anyone thinks they're hearing is neither here nor there. The great thing about digital is it's very easy to scientifically prove my point.

Take a $5 StarTech cable and pit it against a $50 Monster cable. Hook two computers -each with identical sound cards- together with the StarTech cable, start playing an audio file on the first system and record the raw PCM stream on the other. Then do the same thing with the Monster cable.

If you run an MD5 hash on both files they will be identical.

The proof is in the pudding, and in this case the store brand is just as tasty as the name brand.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #3,321 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones do you use? HD580? The LT1469 is rather good in the amp for bright headphones. I like it very much with my RS1. I do however think they would be an awful combination with HD580. LT1364 could work well.

I'm using a HD-580 and a K-340. The current setup with the 627's sounds very, very nice on the AKG's. But with the Senns not so much...

Altho, ive "upgraded" the HD-580's with new earpads and a HD-650 cable today, and this is definitely a sonic improvement and things are beginning to sound a bit better.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3,322 of 9,388
i take it that goes for optical and coaxial?

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3,323 of 9,388
In case you guys missed it, you just got all stirred up by Andrea again!!!
rolleyes.gif

Deadmanwalking = Andrea

Hopefully, all the useless posts will be gone soon.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #3,326 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what??? Anyways...

Other than the Alps vol. pot, and better opamps, are there any other good bang for the buck mods any of you know of?

Cheers all, lets get this show back on the road!

JIm

Swap the cheap 'lytics with Panasonic FM's,Nichicon Muse or Elna Simlic II 's, that's as good as it will get for bang for buck mod. An expensive mod would be a tentlabs XO 2 clock + PSU. Would be cool to try that one (95 bucks for XO 2).

Peete.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #3,327 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you guys missed it, you just got all stirred up by Andrea again!!!
rolleyes.gif

Deadmanwalking = Andrea

Hopefully, all the useless posts will be gone soon.

This Andrea ...cough...sockpuppet....cough....is like Arnie Krueger from the old BBS boards in rec.hi-end audio.......Ole Arnie still dogs John Atkinson (Sterophile Editor) to this very day, going on 12 + years now......ruined the BBS for many many people, before there were HTTP web forums and moderators. Man that was a LONG time ago
biggrin.gif

I remember when the net was all text, with no adverts, and very little graphics. Sure was different, but cool at the same time. Could get info for free back then, now you have to pay for everything, no matter how crappy or useless. Ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration
smily_headphones1.gif

End of mini rant
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS I really like the LT1364's in the Zero headphone section. Much better than the stock jobbies. Thanks for doing the legwork on that Pench. Got my LT package today. It was relayed by the regional office for LT. LOL.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #3,328 of 9,388
Been lurking around for about 300+ pages :).

Anyhow, just received my Zero from Lawrence quickly... About 10 days all together from ordering to arrival to Vancouver, Canada.

Running stock opamps:
MacBook --> adaptor --> optical packin cable --> Zero --> Audio-technica ATH-M50

Definitely an upgrade to my MacBook so far soundwise. Thanks Penchum again for the thread and review, as well as the great hints on opamp rolling from everyone.

I'm waiting for my LT samples - 1364, 1361, 1469, 1057 but will be enjoying the break-in process before fooling with these.

One question: Has anyone CONFIRMED or DISPROVEN the oscillation theories with the hot-running LT13xx opamps a few (hundred) messages back? Do they run hot like this with other DAC's? I already have some VGA RAM stick-on coolers in preparation for the heat (Zalman ZM-RHS1).

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #3,329 of 9,388
just got mine today, took around 1 week. it cleaned up the dt770s i'm using very well, i'll make a better post once the gear breaks in because both the phones and the amp are new.

one thing I notice though is the dials and buttons look great, the only thing that makes the unit look a bit shabby is the faceplate, some sort of anodized aluminum would look excellent.

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #3,330 of 9,388
This thread refuses to die. Wow!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back