Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #2,597 of 9,388
just got my zero today.
problem is , it is too quiet from the built in amp!
is there a gain adjuster in the unit??
thanks

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #2,598 of 9,388
I've the same type of problem with my tube amplifier. The zero's output is 2.5V, while most cd-players nowadays have 5V (correct me if I'm wrong), and therefore I have to turn the volume almost fully open. I'm currently using the zero's pre-amp function to get a higher output signal.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #2,599 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my zero today.
thanks

Did you press the preamp button after putting the phones in? Be sure to turn the knob all the way down if so, though. Wouldn't want to blow your eardrums
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #2,600 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you press the preamp button after putting the phones in? Be sure to turn the knob all the way down if so, though. Wouldn't want to blow your eardrums
smily_headphones1.gif

you know how to make someone feel a right PLANK!
thanks for that. could i possibly get away with blaming chinese manual??

NO i thought not
redface.gif

sounds great now (to my none audiofile ears, that is)
thanks again

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #2,601 of 9,388
Quote:

just got my zero today.
thanks

Quote:

you know how to make someone feel a right PLANK!
thanks for that. could i possibly get away with blaming chinese manual??

NO i thought not
redface.gif

sounds great now (to my none audiofile ears, that is)
thanks again

Congratulations! Just know that your Zero loves you anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
Let us know how the "maturing" goes. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #2,602 of 9,388
Blimey, this thread has certainly increased in size since I last looked and purchased my Zero.

Me and the girlfriend got our own place recently so not had any nagging parents and thus no need to use the Zero with my HD650's as much.

However I got the zero connected to my computer via optical and some M-Audio DX4 active monitors connected. It's sounding pretty good used in this setup as well as a headphone setup. I think my HD650's have a darker sound with more base than the DX4's but they are only small monitors.

I have been using the 1469 and 1364 op amp combo without problem since I brought the zero (a few month ago). Was their some issues with people reporting this combo over heating in this thread i think i remembered reading? theirs a lot to go through since I last looked.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2,603 of 9,388
Wow the tip to pull out the knob worked excellent, its really smooth now
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #2,604 of 9,388
I finally installed 627BP's and brown dog purchased from our 'HK connection'. Compared to the other OpAmps I've tried, I'd say the difference is that the soundstage is just a bit larger and more '3D' like, and the 627 presents the most 'flat' profile of any I've tested. These differences are at most VERY subtle and open to huge amounts of psychoacoustic interpretation.
HOWEVER...
I had expected *much* more based on multiple posts here and elsewhere on this forum. My experience with these is similar to that with tubes. Specifically, the differences are at most extremely small and finite. Let me explain...

When someone says the difference of so and so versus this and that is 'night and day', or 'huge' or 'incredible', I expect big things. My idea of 'night and day' as it applies to listening to music reproduced electronically would be analgous to the difference between a small handheld A.M. transistor radio, and a $10,000 home stereo system. Yeah, it's the same song, but wow, the quality difference is indeed 'night and day' just as nightime versus daytime may occur in the same place, but the difference is indeed profound, and plainly visible to any sighted being.

Maybe I need to get my definitions straight, but how do you guys quantify 'amazing, like night and day' when used with the tiniest of differences like op-amps to something really big?

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #2,605 of 9,388
Good point oatmeal. I think the basis of their comments lies on the fact that any sort of imperfection in music will ruin your experience. For example, even if there is only a 5% improve in sound quality, but a certain harshness at a specific frequency is gone, then you won't listen to the music thinking, "argh! when will I hear that damn harshness again". When your equipment is good to the point where you can just listen to it with full confidence and without expecting anything that will disappoint you, then your enjoyment is much higher; therefore, even if there is a small improvement over your last piece of hardware, you will think, "oh man, this is a night and day difference."

Overall, the experience of music is very psychological.

I've had this experience where there is a certain and almost imperceptible imperfection (to most people) to my earphones (FreQs), and once it was gone, I enjoyed my FreQs much more!

I hope that helps.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2,606 of 9,388
I got the BrownDog adapter from Cimarron, but I'm not sure what is the right direction to insert the LT1122 opamps to it and then insert it to Zero. Is this the right direction what is pictured below? The OPA2604 on the left side is used to show the reference position (as if it was inserted in that position into Zero).

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2,607 of 9,388
Hey all,

first of all I'd like to thank you guys for the _hours_ of reading pleasure this topic gave me.

I have recently obtained a Sennheiser HD-580 and an AKG K-340 and I'm thoroughly enjoying them, but I always thought something was missing. When I heard the Senn and the AKG through a dedicated headamp I knew... These cans really shine when they are properly amped! So I went on a "quest" to find a good, yet affordable headamp and this lead me here...

So I ordered a Zero from Lawrence on Ebay and while im still waiting for the unit to be delivered, but so far I'm very pleased with the way Lawrence handles his sales.

Based on some suggestions in this thread, I decided to buy an opamp upgrade right away, in the form of 2x OPA627AU (the SOIC version which is soldered to the module on both sides, this way its supposed to fit in the headamp) on a brown-dog module for the DAC and the headamp as well. I'm also ordering some of the other suggestions you guys came up with and I'm ready for the opamp-rolling adventure to start :p

Seriously, this is my first time doing just that, but there's a first time for everything, right ?

For now, I have nothing further to add but the fact that I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Zero and shipping from China to the Netherlands takes WAY to long
wink.gif

Thanks again guys and I'll be sure to post my findings as soon as the unit arrives. Take care
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2,608 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blimey, this thread has certainly increased in size since I last looked and purchased my Zero.

Me and the girlfriend got our own place recently so not had any nagging parents and thus no need to use the Zero with my HD650's as much.

However I got the zero connected to my computer via optical and some M-Audio DX4 active monitors connected. It's sounding pretty good used in this setup as well as a headphone setup. I think my HD650's have a darker sound with more base than the DX4's but they are only small monitors.

I have been using the 1469 and 1364 op amp combo without problem since I brought the zero (a few month ago). Was their some issues with people reporting this combo over heating in this thread i think i remembered reading? theirs a lot to go through since I last looked.

It was recommended to put a stick on cooler to the LT1364, if installed in the DAC position. Most are using the OPA627's on the adapter in this position. I haven't found a "cheap" source for the stick on coolers yet. Anyone find a cheap source??

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #2,609 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by szlnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the BrownDog adapter from Cimarron, but I'm not sure what is the right direction to insert the LT1122 opamps to it and then insert it to Zero. Is this the right direction what is pictured below? The OPA2604 on the left side is used to show the reference position (as if it was inserted in that position into Zero).

There is a notch in the adapter to signify the pin 1 end. Put the chips on with their little circle thingy pointed the same way as the notch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #2,610 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally installed 627BP's and brown dog purchased from our 'HK connection'. Compared to the other OpAmps I've tried, I'd say the difference is that the soundstage is just a bit larger and more '3D' like, and the 627 presents the most 'flat' profile of any I've tested. These differences are at most VERY subtle and open to huge amounts of psychoacoustic interpretation.
HOWEVER...
I had expected *much* more based on multiple posts here and elsewhere on this forum. My experience with these is similar to that with tubes. Specifically, the differences are at most extremely small and finite. Let me explain...

When someone says the difference of so and so versus this and that is 'night and day', or 'huge' or 'incredible', I expect big things. My idea of 'night and day' as it applies to listening to music reproduced electronically would be analgous to the difference between a small handheld A.M. transistor radio, and a $10,000 home stereo system. Yeah, it's the same song, but wow, the quality difference is indeed 'night and day' just as nightime versus daytime may occur in the same place, but the difference is indeed profound, and plainly visible to any sighted being.

Maybe I need to get my definitions straight, but how do you guys quantify 'amazing, like night and day' when used with the tiniest of differences like op-amps to something really big?

Indeed this is the constant struggle with human interpretation in audio. But it has clear roots in the past (thanks to digital) and is not easily overcome. Much of audio is about the last 10% of sound quality. The system you have most likely rates in the 90-92% area, and you would have to spend big bucks to extend your sound quality, even by as little as 1 or 2% more. This is where the terms sound like big stuff, but really are very small improvements in the overall picture of sound quality. So, yes, you have to "self interpret" the meanings as they apply to your system's current standing, in the overall picture of sound quality.

If I read that chip so and so is hugely better than the chip I'm using, I read between the lines and think, "A good chip to write down somewhere, for later" and I move on. If I listen to someones description of a change, and their system is very similar to mine, I do a quick cost vs. gain study, to see if it might be worth my time and cash. Most of the time, it is not. This is the way things present themselves in audio and it can be difficult sometimes.

Inexpensive audio is an answer to some of these difficulties. If I can show people how to get into the 90 percentile without breaking the bank, they will be very satisfied and have more to spend on music, which is the most important part.
smily_headphones1.gif
Tweaking inexpensive audio to sound even better, is fun and sometimes very rewarding. You can tell by looking at this thread. Ups and downs, lefts and rights, but in the end, some nice improvements float to the top of the pile for others to take advantage of.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back