Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #2,327 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i just bit on one of these from ebay.

Will it be better to use it as the head-amp, or pre-amp to my current amp which is a META42 driving a pair of DT770's and A900's?

I don't know what a META42 is, but the Zero's stock output is very nice for the price indeed.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #2,330 of 9,388
the waiting is hard but I can assure you its well worth it hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2,333 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This confuses me a bit.

I have connected the ZERO's RCA out to my DarkVoice in.
Now, I've got two possibilities:

1. Green light on the ZERO is on: both volume control on the ZERO and the Darvoice control the sound volume.

2. Green light on the ZERO is off: only the volume control on the Darkvoice effects the volume.

From my limited knowledge the 2nd option is the 'true' pre-amp mode, no?

If not, should I set the volume on the ZERO to max in the first configuration?

Excuse my ignorance....
redface.gif

Hi!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, the #2 above is the line level output. Fixed. Never changes.
#1 above, is a variable output using the volume knob on the Zero. Some stereo amplifiers, mono block types and vintage amps have only a fixed output, relying on the pre-amp to adjust the final output to the speakers. This is where the "variable pre-amp" option works the best. With headphone amplifiers, most have a built in volume control, so #1 doesn't help them much, if any.

Using it either way is ok, just slightly confusing.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad the option is there, for when I test different equipment. I can lower the output and bring it up as needed. For day to day listening enjoyment, I use #2 all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both are clean and it doesn't seem to add noise, so this is a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #2,334 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdgserv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a new Nob..

Some where in these 256 pages there is a link to a place that sells nobs. I have seen it.
Any help would be appreaciated

I get my knobs from Parts ConneXion. There is a link over in the left hand sponsors add. They sell solid brass with several different coatings, gold, brushed grey, chrome and black.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #2,336 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get my knobs from Parts ConneXion. There is a link over in the left hand sponsors add. They sell solid brass with several different coatings, gold, brushed grey, chrome and black.

Thank you... Thank you
Is the one you got the smaller one? What diam..

Also Penchum..I wanted to thank you for this thread and the review..My Zero has no been shut off since I received it. It really has enhanced the sound of my tube amps

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #2,337 of 9,388
Well i got my zero yesterday but I havent had a chance to use it because I dont have the toslink to the mini optical cable.

Anyone know a store in the US that would carry the adapter or a cord? I really dont want to have to wait for shipping over the internet.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #2,338 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i got my zero yesterday but I havent had a chance to use it because I dont have the toslink to the mini optical cable.

Anyone know a store in the US that would carry the adapter or a cord? I really don't want to have to wait for shipping over the internet.

I think I encountered the same problem as you a few days ago (if I understand you correctly). I ordered my adapter from Headroom in Montana. They cost less than $2.00.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #2,340 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some deep consideration and figuring out how I want to bridge my digital equipment with my analog equipment, I came to realize that the Zero has really done an excellent job, so I have ordered a second unit.
biggrin.gif

Your sure this isn't FOTM-itis? lol
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back