Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 29, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2,236 of 9,388
The ol' LT sample pack - 1361, 1364, 1469. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the probably lies elsewhere than the particular opamps I'm using though, as it's irrelevant which pair I have in the headamp. No matter which I use the problem remains the same.

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #2,237 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! I like your shopping list too! You are going to have one heck of a rig when you have it all put together!!
biggrin.gif

lol its mainly due to your reviews :p but seriously cheers dude, always wanted to get some serious headfi gear and xtremely pleased I took the plunge.

qq - does anyone else's Zero have a tiny tiny hum when its on, not coming from the headphones but unit itself. Not any kind of major problem since you have to put your ear pretty near it to hear.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2,238 of 9,388
I got mine to day, but how can I make it work? I have tryed to connect it to my PC with coaxial and toslink and all I can hear is some flickering noise when I connect my headphones to the Zero. I have set my soundcard to use digital out.

LaZyKun: Mine does also have that hum.

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #2,239 of 9,388
Zero with USB Mod prototype:

I bought a nice USB analogue sound card cable with Burr Brown PCM2704 (used in Meier Audio Corda Opera). Stripped the analogue part to use the S/PDIF output.
Had to removed the coaxial socket of the ZERO, because I didn't have the heart to put a hole into the chassis. Now the coaxial switch is the USB switch.
Glued the USB board onto some resistors. Fits like a glove.

Positive: No toslink jitter, USB conversion into Zero's receiver chip, no need for a sound card, plug-and-play
Negative: only 32kHz, 44.1Khz and 48Khz sampling frequency

Next: PCB with USB socket, no glueing. ZERO has to switch between optical, coaxial and USB.

Pictures:
zerousbmodproto1ct7.jpg

zerousbmodproto2es4.jpg

zerousbmodproto3zf5.jpg

zerousbmodproto4ln9.jpg

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2,240 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by hxcxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ol' LT sample pack - 1361, 1364, 1469. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the probably lies elsewhere than the particular opamps I'm using though, as it's irrelevant which pair I have in the headamp. No matter which I use the problem remains the same.

Just a thought. The headphone amp is dependant upon which Opamp you have in the DAC, so maybe trying a different Opamp in the DAC will change the results you are having in the headphone amp, with trying different Opamps? Check it out and see.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #2,241 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use something like this

Laptop Sound Card - Audio Advantage Micro

Thanks for the suggestion.
Just a question: if I use the Turtle Beach strictly as a converter from USB to digital, will it effect (e.g.: colour) the sound in any way?

Furthermore: I wanted to buy it from Amazon but on the product page it says: 'Dance a GoGo : Sexy Nightclub Workout'
confused.gif

Amazon.com: Dance a GoGo : Sexy Nightclub Workout: Andrea Lin,Darko Mitrevski: Movies & TV

Thanks,

Ben

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #2,242 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question: if I use the Turtle Beach strictly as a converter from USB to digital, will it effect (e.g.: colour) the sound in any way?

Furthermore: I wanted to buy it from Amazon but on the product page it says: 'Dance a GoGo : Sexy Nightclub Workout'
confused.gif

Amazon.com: Dance a GoGo : Sexy Nightclub Workout: Andrea Lin,Darko Mitrevski: Movies & TV

Thanks,

Ben

Thats weird! I also was a little alarmed at the reviews listed for it. Scroll down and check them out.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #2,243 of 9,388
Quote:

Thats weird! I also was a little alarmed at the reviews listed for it. Scroll down and check them out.

I've read some reviews about the Turtle but most of the people are using it as a external sound card. I can't find any information when used strictly as a converter/transport from USB to digital.

Are there any other (cheap) solutions?

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #2,244 of 9,388
Quote:

confused.gif

Thanks,

Ben

Maybe something like this, with no 3D, with optical would be better?
Parts Express:Behringer UCA202 2-In/2-Out USB/Audio Interface S/PDIF Out

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #2,245 of 9,388
Quote:

Maybe something like this, with no 3D, with optical would be better?
Parts Express:Behringer UCA202 2-In/2-Out USB/Audio Interface S/PDIF Out

When I tried to order and checked out it came up with:

Quote:

Minimum Requirements:
Sorry, this order does not meet the required minimum dollar amount for an international order.
Please added $20.01 to your order.

This is turning out to be a real soap
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #2,246 of 9,388
Quote:

When I tried to order and checked out it came up with:

This is turning out to be a real soap
biggrin.gif

Sorry! I had no idea they impose a minimum like that! Check the maker's site and see if they can do it.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #2,247 of 9,388
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #2,248 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"High-resolution 48 kHz converters for premium audio quality" isn't very good right?

Looking around, it seems to be the "standard" for this kind of application and price point. I'm having trouble locating some with higher rates. Have you seen any??

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #2,249 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine to day, but how can I make it work? I have tryed to connect it to my PC with coaxial and toslink and all I can hear is some flickering noise when I connect my headphones to the Zero. I have set my soundcard to use digital out.

LaZyKun: Mine does also have that hum.

Can someone help me please?

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2,250 of 9,388
Quote:

Looking around, it seems to be the "standard" for this kind of application and price point. I'm having trouble locating some with higher rates. Have you seen any??

This one has a higher rate and price, but I know nothing about it. : http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3719104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back