Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2,221 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh crap, I can't stop listening to music anymore. I put my LD on and the sound is again way beyond Zero's headamp but that doesn't mean that Zero's headamp isn't good, on the contrary.

Are those LME49720 re-branded LM4562? I don't like LM4562 at all in my X-Fi. Makes music so sterile and highs are harsh. Fortunately music doesn't go throught that anymore because I use my X-Fi only as a transporter and upsampler.

Yes they are. I like them in the Zero, but not at all in my spare DAC, where I prefer OPA627, so I think it also depends on where you install them.

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #2,222 of 9,388
I have found another opamp other than the OPA2107 for headamp and DAC. The AD746 works so well in the DAC IMO. Very transparent, detailed, and very dynamic as well. I tried the AD746 in all 3 places as opposed to the OPA2107 in all 3 places. It's a bit different, but very good as well. I have a feeling mixing and matching the OPA2107 and the AD746 will do wonders. If I have time, I'll try it. I got a few more AD746's and some OPA2107's for cheap if some people want to purchase them from me. These two are very good alternatives for the OPA726BP which is so much more expensive. You can buy 3 for the price of nearly both OPA627's. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested. Now back to listening to my AD746's
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll have to compare them to OPA2107's soon.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2,223 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh crap, I can't stop listening to music anymore. I put my LD on and the sound is again way beyond Zero's headamp but that doesn't mean that Zero's headamp isn't good, on the contrary.

This is exactly how I have my two Zero's setup. (OPA627s in DAC, LT1364s in headphone amp) One Zero is almost exclusively for driving my MKIVse, which sounds absolutely amazing! I really like the full spectrum the OPA627s provide. I have some music that has bass notes under 40Hz, and they are there big time!
smily_headphones1.gif
I also like to switch to the Zero's headphone amp sometimes, just to listen to nice SS sound for a change. Not all the time, but just when the desire hits me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #2,224 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly how I have my two Zero's setup. (OPA627s in DAC, LT1364s in headphone amp) One Zero is almost exclusively for driving my MKIVse, which sounds absolutely amazing! I really like the full spectrum the OPA627s provide. I have some music that has bass notes under 40Hz, and they are there big time!
smily_headphones1.gif
I also like to switch to the Zero's headphone amp sometimes, just to listen to nice SS sound for a change. Not all the time, but just when the desire hits me.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's why I changed the LT1364's for headamp because I remembered that you tested them in amp section too and liked it.

LT1469 were good in headamp but they were little too dark or veiled for my taste.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #2,225 of 9,388
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #2,226 of 9,388
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #2,227 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most have found that either one (optical or coaxial) works great with the Zero. No differences in SQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

But what if my laptop have neither coaxial nor optical
confused.gif

I really have read most of this thread and still I'm (unpleasantly
mad.gif
) surprised that there's NO USB on the ZERO :'(

I guess a was blinded by the stellar review
rolleyes.gif

No offence Dave
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #2,228 of 9,388
The ZERO is almost identical to the Zhaolu... even looks the same... heard the design was also based on the Zhaolu...so no surprises that it doesnt have a USB.

i guess a cheap option would be to get a USB -> SPDIF converter. ive heard both good and bad about the converters though and that direct SPDIF from ur soundcard is best.

if ur laptop has neither SPDIF formats, i guess the converter will definitely be needed. else a simple USB soundcard with SPDIF output should do the trick.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #2,230 of 9,388
Just got my Zero unit 2day through the post, currently burning in and all I wanted to say is thanks to everyone here at HeadFi for the help and information.

Indeed sorry about my wallet but damn its was money well spent hehe. Next on the hit list HD650/LD MKIII
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2,231 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what if my laptop have neither coaxial nor optical
confused.gif

I really have read most of this thread and still I'm (unpleasantly
mad.gif
) surprised that there's NO USB on the ZERO :'(

I guess a was blinded by the stellar review
rolleyes.gif

No offence Dave
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use something like this

Laptop Sound Card - Audio Advantage Micro

I'll be darned! I could have sworn you said your notebook had a flexi-jack (both line out and optical combined in one) way back when! Scompton's idea is a good one for the price for sure. I think Diykits on ebay sells a silver looking one inexpensive also. Sorry!
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #2,232 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ZERO is almost identical to the Zhaolu... even looks the same... heard the design was also based on the Zhaolu...so no surprises that it doesnt have a USB.

i guess a cheap option would be to get a USB -> SPDIF converter. ive heard both good and bad about the converters though and that direct SPDIF from ur soundcard is best.

if ur laptop has neither SPDIF formats, i guess the converter will definitely be needed. else a simple USB soundcard with SPDIF output should do the trick.

This is one of those "someone said that someone else said in another thread about another site post" rumor-facts. It actually doesn't look very much like the Zhaolu and the design according to Lawrence is not from the Zhaolu. All of this was talked about earlier in this thread because of statements like this from previous Zhaolu owners who didn't like them very much (I think)
redface.gif
. Its been quite a while ago. Some of the posts may have been removed, as the discussions were super heated by a person who keeps getting banned all the time and their posts kinda disappear each time they get banned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2,233 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaZyKun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Zero unit 2day through the post, currently burning in and all I wanted to say is thanks to everyone here at HeadFi for the help and information.

Indeed sorry about my wallet but damn its was money well spent hehe. Next on the hit list HD650/LD MKIII
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations! I like your shopping list too! You are going to have one heck of a rig when you have it all put together!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #2,234 of 9,388
Just a little update from me:

Got my new Opamps and threw 'em in the headamp board.

1. When using the DAC as a simple DAC without the true preamp function, it works perfectly. Sounds great.
2. When using the DAC as a true preamp, it goes wayward. The sound is balanced roughly 90% to the left channel.
3. When using the headamp, the sound is balanced 100% to the left channel.

I'm a bit baffled!

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #2,235 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by hxcxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little update from me:

Got my new Opamps and threw 'em in the headamp board.

1. When using the DAC as a simple DAC without the true preamp function, it works perfectly. Sounds great.
2. When using the DAC as a true preamp, it goes wayward. The sound is balanced roughly 90% to the left channel.
3. When using the headamp, the sound is balanced 100% to the left channel.

I'm a bit baffled!

Hi! Which opamps did you get and try out. Maybe someone can tell you of similar results and what to try or not try!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back