Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Feb 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #1,366 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use LT1469 in my dac for the moment, but it is really really hot. If I touch it with my finger I will burn myself, thats how hot it is. Is that bad? I have the LT1469IN8 so it should withstand higher temperature than LT1469CN8 but still.

LT1364 will burn my finger too. I'm testing LT1361 now and its not hot.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #1,367 of 9,388
My Zero arrived few days ago and i'm amazed
gs1000.gif
, this is my first headphone dac / amp combo. I can say it's a big improvement from an M-audio sonica theater external soundcard. I didn't wait for the stock opamp to burn in, its has been swapped with 1469 in DAC and 1361 in headphone amp section. It is too early to have an clear opinion, they have only few hours of playing. Btw as first impresion of this combination I can say I like the bass definision and extension, the highs aren't harsh at all.
I have a pair of SR60 and I can say they really like Zero
biggrin.gif
Soon it will arrive my SR225 and I think there will be more fun. I also have an AkG k601 ,obvious better than SR60, very detalied headphone with a great sound stage but I consider to be not as much involving as Grados.

There is problem if my coaxial Led is clipping, or sometimes goes off?

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #1,368 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the most natural, neutral, cleanest, airiest, most uncolored, good bass presence and texture, not overpowering treble, most transparent and purest op-amp combination for the zero you've(anyone) found yet? Natural and airy and clean are key-words.

I just can't seem to get the sound to be all that. My previous best combination was LME49720(dac) + LT1469(amp), but I sensed a very slight warm coloration in the mids and a small flowing effect which devoured a lot of the air (the flowing effect(made the music "flow" effortless) was very pleasant, but the slight air lost made it very hard to breath), so in the end I couldn't stand it and had to change.

The stock does a lot of things right, but I want a little bit more detail, but the coloration, or UNcoloration is very good, as is the air.

My favorite (for the moment) favorite combination is LT1469(dac)+LME49720(amp) and it sounds very good, but I think I hear the slight midrange coloration of the LT1469 shine through.

It might be that in the end, beyers, grados/alessandros, or me in general just don't love the LT sound, so I might have to turn to OPA627 or similar.

Any suggestions?

I'm not dissing you, or coming down on you by saying this, but I think saying it, may help others as well. "Don't be too analytical, enjoy the music for a while".
smily_headphones1.gif
It is so easy to get caught up in the rolling, and never be totally satisfied, when many of the combinations you have found, would easily do the trick.

I also would suggest the OPA627's in combination with the LT's. When I was judging both outputs, one of my favorites was the OPA627s in the DAC, LT1469s in the headphone amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
It might be worth a listen.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #1,369 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i upgraded my soundcard finally

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

the bass has never been deeper, and never this clear, im not sure if it's placebo but it seems now that the Zero is sounding better than ever.

gift and a curse though, my mo3s sound crap now all of a sudden, but my flacs are seem clearer. heh.

opamp rolling next!!
biggrin.gif

There has to be something to the changes in sound cards, even when they are serving as transports. The difference in sound between my notebook optical out and desktop optical out, is very noticeable. Almost exactly what you said.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #1,370 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use LT1469 in dac and also in headphone amp? three lt1469 in the zero.

Amazing!
biggrin.gif
After all this, I hadn't even thought of that! Let us know how it turns out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #1,371 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas_D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zero arrived few days ago and i'm amazed
gs1000.gif
, this is my first headphone dac / amp combo. I can say it's a big improvement from an M-audio sonica theater external soundcard. I didn't wait for the stock opamp to burn in, its has been swapped with 1469 in DAC and 1361 in headphone amp section. It is too early to have an clear opinion, they have only few hours of playing. Btw as first impresion of this combination I can say I like the bass definision and extension, the highs aren't harsh at all.
I have a pair of SR60 and I can say they really like Zero
biggrin.gif
Soon it will arrive my SR225 and I think there will be more fun. I also have an AkG k601 ,obvious better than SR60, very detalied headphone with a great sound stage but I consider to be not as much involving as Grados.

I'm glad things are going well!
smily_headphones1.gif
Good combinations you are trying too. I would check and see if you have a loose connection on the LED board up front. After shipping, anything is possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #1,372 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas_D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would check and see if you have a loose connection on the LED board up front. After shipping, anything is possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is worth mentioning that the connection on the LED board is soldered. I already tried to detached it.
wink.gif

Check the cable and the plug to the main board...

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #1,373 of 9,388
Like having a bunch of Tungsol black glass 6SN7's all in a row. They are great but it is nice to mix it up. I think you get a better texture and excitement to the music but who knows until you try it, right?

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #1,374 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. But anyway, my experiences with opamps have always confirmed that idea.

Also, for those gifted with synaesthesia, the other idea that each number in the opamp's model number has its specific sonic color has proven absolutely spot on.

For instance, 3 and 5 are warm sounding numbers one yellowish and the other redish, 4 sounds dead, 6 sounds "correct" but a bit whiteish, 2 sounds greenish, and so on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Boy, that seems out there. So do you think they really design the opamps to sound a certain way and then number accordingly? Or is it the numbers that either doom or elevate the opamp? AD8397, a little unrefined on the top and slightly bright. So what are the numbers saying there?

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #1,375 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No there's absolutely nothing intentional about it
biggrin.gif

It's just the universal rule of correspondence between form (names) and content (sounds in our case), even with [very] inanimate things like opamps. Combined with the other principle that the universe is ruled by the numbers - and not merely in a mathematical sense you see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, then how do you define the theory of chaos with numbers that will form a pattern? Or does it matter? Or is the chaos the interacting numbers of an undefined sequence?

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #1,376 of 9,388
And there is nothing to thought of anew, only rediscovered for all possibilities already exist but are to be found and deciphered.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #1,379 of 9,388
I am looking for a place to land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back