Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #1,141 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At least I have the DAC opamp module pinned down now, I just need a couple of headphone opamps - though none of the three "great" in the chart is available from Lawrence..

Just request samples from Linear Technology. Go to their website and look up the opamps in which you are interested.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #1,142 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by biph911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just request samples from Linear Technology. Go to their website and look up the opamps in which you are interested.

I'll look into that, going to their website now
smily_headphones1.gif

I just seem surprising that Lawrence is praising the LT1057 to such a great degree when Penchum just gave it a "good" rating. And it would cost me another set of shipping expenses plus possible VAT to get them seperately not from Lawrence. Oh well..

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #1,143 of 9,388
I think that I remember Penchum declaring his love for the LT1364 specifically somewhere through the first 127 pages though I can't seem to find it anymore.

Have anyone else tried the OPA627 / LT1364 combo other than Penchum? I'm considering to just take the default headphone opamps whatever they may be and then upgrading to the LT1364 later on.

And Penchum if you by some stroke of luck remember this combo in particular do speak up
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #1,144 of 9,388
I just ordered a Zero + OPA627 DAC for 241$ incl. shipping to Denmark. Wohoo I can't wait!

I figured that I might find the purchase of upgrade headphone opamps more satisfactory if I can actually hear the difference at some point so I just went with the default ones. My Senn HD600 just arrived today so within the next week I'll probably begin using them directly on my X-Fi, meaning that I'll notice the Zero amp difference as well. I realize it may take anywhere from a week to little over a month, but in either case I'm sure it'll be worth the wait
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #1,145 of 9,388
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I just seem surprising that Lawrence is praising the LT1057 to such a great degree when Penchum just gave it a "good" rating. And it would cost me another set of shipping expenses plus possible VAT to get them seperately not from Lawrence. Oh well..

IIRC, the list isn't Lawrence list, it is an op-amp list for an entire different amp. He wrote that it was his "cheat" list, since it's not really his doing, nothing wrong with that though

It's not sure that the op-amps in that list will work well with the Zero, and as Penchum already have written, AD797 doesn't work well at all.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #1,146 of 9,388
Here it is!
biggrin.gif

In front of me and burning in
tongue.gif

It's even nicer than the photos!
I've been waiting for this zero to come for days and now... more waiting to burn in. Pfff... I will have deserved it !
rolleyes.gif

So what can I say right now...
It's the 110/220V version.
It's connected to the coax s/pdif output of my PC (ASUS P5K motherboard), my HD-280pro plugged in the headphone output.

Power on: My first surprise, the leds: wow I will have to wear sunglasses
wink.gif

Coaxial input selected, Phone on: oups the blue leds intensity decreases.. Phone off: increases... Phone on again: decreases... Strange. Makes me wonder about voltage regulation... I'll see later.
Headphone on my head:
eek.gif
20% volume and I can hardly stand it... seems there is some spare power in there.
Music on pause: no noise! In fact I have to turn the knob till about 45 percent to start listening some electronic noise. Perfect! (It was one of my concerns)
I couldn't resist to compare with my PC output: for now zero has less punchy basses and foggy highs (Ok, I am not surprised because Penchum already repeated it so many times :IT HAS TO BURN IN
wink.gif
)

So now burn baby, burn ! Eagles will help you for the next 5 days!

PS: For those who, like me, spent nights listening to Hotel California, don't hesitate, Eagles new (and probably last) album "Long Road Out Of Eden" is really a gem. (at least it makes me feel 30 years younger
cool.gif
)

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #1,147 of 9,388
How would the ZERO perform with a Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier? I heard that the ZERO is warm as it is, so I wonder if combining it with an already warm tube amp is a good idea? My headphones are AKG K601's. Any ideas anyone?

PS Modding isn't really my cup of tea, so rolling opamps is something I'd rather not do.

EDIT: Maybe I can order the ZERO from BigLawHK (Lawrence) with the opamps rolled to my taste? Does anyone know if he supplies that service? I want detail but LM4562s seem to be too much?

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #1,148 of 9,388
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I found out that statement about the LT1057 was made somewhere else on the internet ages ago, so much has changed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I think that I remember Penchum declaring his love for the LT1364 specifically somewhere through the first 127 pages though I can't seem to find it anymore.

The OPA627 in the DAC and LT1364s in the headphone board, is one of my favorites! Really outstanding!

Quote:

Have anyone else tried the OPA627 / LT1364 combo other than Penchum? I'm considering to just take the default headphone opamps whatever they may be and then upgrading to the LT1364 later on.

I know that some have tried it and agreed they liked it. I don't know if they kept their Zero this way for long term or not.

Quote:

And Penchum if you by some stroke of luck remember this combo in particular do speak up
biggrin.gif

Yes, I do remember, because this is the combo I'm running in my Zero #1 right now.
smily_headphones1.gif
It is a very good combo for all types of music!

Quote:

I just ordered a Zero + OPA627 DAC for 241$ incl. shipping to Denmark. Wohoo I can't wait!

Good show old man!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I figured that I might find the purchase of upgrade headphone opamps more satisfactory if I can actually hear the difference at some point so I just went with the default ones. My Senn HD600 just arrived today so within the next week I'll probably begin using them directly on my X-Fi, meaning that I'll notice the Zero amp difference as well. I realize it may take anywhere from a week to little over a month, but in either case I'm sure it'll be worth the wait
biggrin.gif

I have a better idea (IMHO). Why don't you plug in your new HD-600s to your X-Fi and run it 24/7, burning-in the HD-600s (while you are waiting), so when your Zero arrives, you'll be able to listen too "only the changes happening to the Zero" and nothing else? It might be worth your time?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #1,149 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fremen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here it is!
biggrin.gif

In front of me and burning in
tongue.gif

It's even nicer than the photos!
I've been waiting for this zero to come for days and now... more waiting to burn in. Pfff... I will have deserved it !
rolleyes.gif

So what can I say right now...
It's the 110/220V version.
It's connected to the coax s/pdif output of my PC (ASUS P5K motherboard), my HD-280pro plugged in the headphone output.

Power on: My first surprise, the leds: wow I will have to wear sunglasses
wink.gif

Coaxial input selected, Phone on: oups the blue leds intensity decreases.. Phone off: increases... Phone on again: decreases... Strange. Makes me wonder about voltage regulation... I'll see later.
Headphone on my head:
eek.gif
20% volume and I can hardly stand it... seems there is some spare power in there.
Music on pause: no noise! In fact I have to turn the knob till about 45 percent to start listening some electronic noise. Perfect! (It was one of my concerns)
I couldn't resist to compare with my PC output: for now zero has less punchy basses and foggy highs (Ok, I am not surprised because Penchum already repeated it so many times :IT HAS TO BURN IN
wink.gif
)

So now burn baby, burn ! Eagles will help you for the next 5 days!

PS: For those who, like me, spent nights listening to Hotel California, don't hesitate, Eagles new (and probably last) album "Long Road Out Of Eden" is really a gem. (at least it makes me feel 30 years younger
cool.gif
)

Congratulations! It is funny, but my blue LEDs dim slightly too. No biggie. Let us know at how many hours, something big changes.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #1,150 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by verbaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the ZERO perform with a Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier? I heard that the ZERO is warm as it is, so I wonder if combining it with an already warm tube amp is a good idea? My headphones are AKG K601's. Any ideas anyone?

PS Modding isn't really my cup of tea, so rolling opamps is something I'd rather not do.

EDIT: Maybe I can order the ZERO from BigLawHK (Lawrence) with the opamps rolled to my taste? Does anyone know if he supplies that service? I want detail but LM4562s seem to be too much?

There are several folks here that are using the Zero with the MKIII. It might take some time for them to reply. I use mine with the MKIVse and even with the default Opamps, it still sounds pretty nice! That OPA2604 is still a good Opamp, even if it has been out classed by newer Opamps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #1,151 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a better idea (IMHO). Why don't you plug in your new HD-600s to your X-Fi and run it 24/7, burning-in the HD-600s (while you are waiting), so when your Zero arrives, you'll be able to listen too "only the changes happening to the Zero" and nothing else? It might be worth your time?
smily_headphones1.gif

I would if I could - that way I'd appreciate the Zero even more when it finally arrives. But the pump for my watercooling system just said "F U" and died on me a week back. Word of advice NEVER buy premade thermaltake liquid cooling systems, they suck. I assembled the perfect computer myself (Q6600@3ghz, 8800GTX 2xRaptorX150gb @ RAID0 etc.) but the LCS was it's achilles heel. I'm waiting for a replacement POS pump but it keeps getting postponed = no computer = no Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer gaming = No working X-Fi to test testdrive my HD600 ion
frown.gif

But seeing the kind of delivery times people are experienceing in general (3 weeks seem to be about average) I will probably have my computer up and running before the Zero arrives, so I will try them on ASAP!
smily_headphones1.gif

But omg those LT1364 are cheap as dirt, but it's confusing with three versions - which one to buy if I decided?
Linkage for Linear Technology LT1364 OpAmp

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #1,152 of 9,388
Received both my Zero and Little Dot MKV today, thats 2 days to get the MKV (got the tracking number saturday) the Zero took a bit longer, but I'm happy

Running from my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (I think?) though the external breakout box then optical into the Zero, and a pair of Linn black interconnects to the MKV.

I am listening to Metallica's ...And Justice for All at themo on my Equinox cabled HD650's, using Foobar 2000v.0.9.5

I think it really sound good, bass it pretty good, not to tight sadly, highs are there, but get a little lost, the mids a little lacking a little, needs some burn in.

Would a different DAC in the Zero help? or is it just burn in on the MKV?

I am also thinking of getting a Auzentech Prelude, would this negate the Zero?

More later, leaving it to burn in overnight.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #1,153 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received both my Zero and Little Dot MKV today, thats 2 days to get the MKV (got the tracking number saturday) the Zero took a bit longer, but I'm happy

Running from my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (I think?) though the external breakout box then optical into the Zero, and a pair of Linn black interconnects to the MKV.

I am listening to Metallica's ...And Justice for All at themo on my Equinox cabled HD650's, using Foobar 2000v.0.9.5

I think it really sound good, bass it pretty good, not to tight sadly, highs are there, but get a little lost, the mids a little lacking a little, needs some burn in.

Would a different DAC in the Zero help? or is it just burn in on the MKV?

I am also thinking of getting a Auzentech Prelude, would this negate the Zero?

More later, leaving it to burn in overnight.

First off, Congratulations! More than one toy is always better!
biggrin.gif

The way you describe what you are hearing, is exactly what I would expect this soon out of the boxes. You are doing he right thing, burn them in for the 100hr minimum. Watch (actually listen) for major changes around the 40-65 hour area, then smaller but notable ones up to 100hrs. Then, do some critical listening again. You are in for a nice treat!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #1,154 of 9,388
Quote:

I would if I could - that way I'd appreciate the Zero even more when it finally arrives. But the pump for my watercooling system just said "F U" and died on me a week back. Word of advice NEVER buy premade thermaltake liquid cooling systems, they suck. I assembled the perfect computer myself (Q6600@3ghz, 8800GTX 2xRaptorX150gb @ RAID0 etc.) but the LCS was it's achilles heel. I'm waiting for a replacement POS pump but it keeps getting postponed = no computer = no Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer gaming = No working X-Fi to test testdrive my HD600 ion
frown.gif

But seeing the kind of delivery times people are experienceing in general (3 weeks seem to be about average) I will probably have my computer up and running before the Zero arrives, so I will try them on ASAP!
smily_headphones1.gif

But omg those LT1364 are cheap as dirt, but it's confusing with three versions - which one to buy if I decided?

They have to have a CN8 in them. NO CS8. Favorites are the 1469,1364,1361,and a couple of others you'll have to look backwards to find.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #1,155 of 9,388
Quote:

frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Firstly I was going to suggest burning in ur HD600's while waiting on ur Zero but Penchum beat me to it.
Also saw you had the P5K and wondered what all you had, sorry to hear about ur H2Opump. You can't overclock the quad's 25% on air? Back that thing down and burn those cans in until your Zero comes, then fix ur pump or get a GOOD effecent air cooler.
biggrin.gif
I know, you wish it was that easy,huh.
Stealing a line from some movie I can't think the name of... There ain't no water in computers!!!!
tongue.gif

But seriously, you need to find a way to burn you cans in, otherwise your not gonna know if your coming or going between ur cans burning in, ur amp burning in, ur dac burning in.... swapping opamps around on top of it. Which leads me to something you need to make not of when swapping opamps. Just like the CPU, opamps are marked which way they go in. You'll see an indention on one end offset to one side, thats pin #1. Look at the originals before you remove them and make a drawing or take a pic of all of them for refference. I know it's been mentioned before, but not sure if you've seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back