Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #1,126 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. But since your chart shows combinations of two opamps at once, one DAC one Amp, you must have held one constant on the headphone board if it had two slots?

The two on the headphone board are identical since they are just L & R. If he shows LT1361 / LT1469, it means the DAC opamp is a single LT1361, and there are two LT1469s on the headphone board, one for each channel.

An exception would be the opa627 because it requires two opamps + an adapter to fill a single spot. I ordered two OPA627 + browndog adapter to replace the opamp on the DAC.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #1,127 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by biph911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two on the headphone board are identical since they are just L & R. If he shows LT1361 / LT1469, it means the DAC opamp is a single LT1361, and there are two LT1469s on the headphone board, one for each channel.

An exception would be the opa627 because it requires two opamps + an adapter to fill a single spot. I ordered two OPA627 + browndog adapter to replace the opamp on the DAC.

That makes perfect sense.. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder why Lawrence present the OPA 627 like it's the best since sliced bread but Penchum gave it a rating of "only" good in all combinations. I know it might have something to do with personal taste and the headphones, but it doesn't make the choice easier for a n00b like me. I think Penchum used senn 650's when he tested, I wonder what Lawrence used..

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #1,128 of 9,388
Quote:

That makes perfect sense.. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yepper, it made for some serious swapping action!
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #1,129 of 9,388
I have updated the review with better pics and changed the layout as well. If anyone has Opamp info for the chart, PM me and I'll add them in.
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #1,130 of 9,388
Quote:

I wonder why Lawrence present the OPA 627 like it's the best since sliced bread but Penchum gave it a rating of "only" good in all combinations.

He actually rates the OPA627 as great on the DAC side in each combo. The OPA627 hasn't been used on the headphone side (yet).

Quote:

OPA627s + LT1469 DAC=great, phone=good

OPA627s + LT1364 DAC=great, phone=great

OPA627s + LT1361 DAC=great, phone=great

OPA627s + LT1057 DAC=great, phone=good

OPA627s + LM4562 DAC=great, phone=great

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #1,131 of 9,388
Nice, I just got in touch with Lawrence. He tells me that he recommends the "Burr Brown OPA 627 BP(single, ceramic) on Browndog adaptor" for the headphone opamps, and I'll take his word for it.

What about the DAC opamp, how would you rate the default, Penchum? On your chart you say everything goes good with OPA627, but since nothing goes "bad" or "great" either I don't know what to choose here. I could go with the standard I guess, but I really want the best I can get from the beginning since I probably won't ever mod the Zero again as I've mentioned
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Oh you just updated the chart with more combos for the OPA627, sweet! Gonna have a look now..

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #1,132 of 9,388
Quote:

He actually rates the OPA627 as great on the DAC side in each combo. The OPA627 hasn't been used on the headphone side (yet).

Who is "he" I thought Penchum made the chart
confused.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #1,133 of 9,388
I wonder about this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by biph911
Analog device DY2000 (dual, metal)
Price: US$35.
Comment : It provided very similar results to the DY2000 ceramic but the sound is ten times better with their punch , detail , range of frequency ….. especially the naturality.

- what is that? Doesn't sound like an opamp compoent? Worth buying?

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #1,135 of 9,388
Quote:

The "he" in that sentence is Penchum. Sorry for my errant pronoun usage
wink.gif

What the.... did he just correct that or did I mis-read it the first time around?
biggrin.gif

So it looks like LO1469, LT1364 and LM4562 would be a good choice. I've emailed Lawrence back asking if he's got any of these in stock. Do you remember any differences between these three in particular Penchum?

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #1,136 of 9,388
hello, my package has arrived to sweden. what does in transit mean?

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #1,137 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It means it's that much closer to your front door! Seriously though, "in transit" means "en route" or "in the process of transportation"....on its way.

Should be soon....enjoy!

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #1,138 of 9,388
Quote:

What the.... did he just correct that or did I mis-read it the first time around?
biggrin.gif

So it looks like LO1469, LT1364 and LM4562 would be a good choice. I've emailed Lawrence back asking if he's got any of these in stock. Do you remember any differences between these three in particular Penchum?

Ok, here we go... If you buy OPA627's on the dog, times 2 for the headphone board, this is going to cost like $122 at current Lawrence prices. That is too much I think! Since you don't have a Zero yet, and have no idea of the sound the default Opamps can give you (after burn-in), it is difficult to recommend you spend that much money on "untested to your ears" Opamps, for a $139 Zero. True? $122 vs $139....$122 vs $139....
eek.gif

Most here, who are using the OPA627s on the dog, are doing so in the DAC, not the headphone board. If you look at the chart, there are many "great" combinations and choices for the OPA627 in DAC, "others" in the headphone board.

It is up to you, and please do what you feel is best, but remember the teeth in you wallet, they do bite!
smily_headphones1.gif
Many folks here can help you find the LT Opamps after your Zero has arrived and you've had some "love" time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #1,139 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

davve, Hi! I'll be interested to hear how the Zero works with your DV! Keep us apprised!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #1,140 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here we go... If you buy OPA627's on the dog, times 2 for the headphone board, this is going to cost like $122 at current Lawrence prices. That is too much I think! Since you don't have a Zero yet, and have no idea of the sound the default Opamps can give you (after burn-in), it is difficult to recommend you spend that much money on "untested to your ears" Opamps, for a $139 Zero. True? $122 vs $139....$122 vs $139....
eek.gif

Most here, who are using the OPA627s on the dog, are doing so in the DAC, not the headphone board. If you look at the chart, there are many "great" combinations and choices for the OPA627 in DAC, "others" in the headphone board.

It is up to you, and please do what you feel is best, but remember the teeth in you wallet, they do bite!
smily_headphones1.gif
Many folks here can help you find the LT Opamps after your Zero has arrived and you've had some "love" time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I dunno man.. I just want it overwith or something
biggrin.gif

I wonder why haven't anyone tried the OPA627s on headphone, is it because of the extra price you'd have to pay for two or what?

Ok I'll just throw the OPA627 on the DAC then, that seems to be the most normal, I can find more info on combos with that config it seems, and a lot cheaper also. On the headphones Lawrence offers the LT1057 which he says "Without a shadow of a doubt this op amp is the star of the the centry..." and so fourth (I think we all know this standard answer at this point - last cited on page 128) and the DY2000's which he also praised but I this OPA627/DY2000 combo is not on the chart so I dunno about it. Perhaps I should just go for the OPA627/LT1057, but then again they are only listed as "great/good" on the chart. Argh I don't know what to do!

At least I have the DAC opamp module pinned down now, I just need a couple of headphone opamps - though the three "great" in the chart is unavailable from Lawrence..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back