Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 11, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #721 of 9,388
Well I dunno, USPS has lost quite a few of my rather important things(college transcript, a check, few bills, 2 government-related applications and other items I'd rather not remember.)

Anyway, my 2nd order from Linear had arrived, I got 1 LT1364CN8, 1 LT1469CN8 and a LT1469IN8....what the heck is "IN"? The specs of CN and IN on their website are identical, did they send me an older model because they ran outta new ones or something?

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #722 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello neighbour!
biggrin.gif

I meant that in a good way BTW.
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #723 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sushicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I dunno, USPS has lost quite a few of my rather important things(college transcript, a check, few bills, 2 government-related applications and other items I'd rather not remember.)

Anyway, my 2nd order from Linear had arrived, I got 1 LT1364CN8, 1 LT1469CN8 and a LT1469IN8....what the heck is "IN"? The specs of CN and IN on their website are identical, did they send me an older model because they ran outta new ones or something?

I couldn't find the difference either. Anyone else know??

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #724 of 9,388
I'm looking for a new DAC /AMP for my pc based audio system, and I have just dicovered Zero. First time I have looked at iBasso D1, but now Zeroo is atractive too. How do you think about comparation Zero - iBasso D1 ? (DAC and Amp quality)

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #725 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damm, I had no idea postal was so unpredictable there. How is customs there? Do they inject a week delay into everything coming in? I was thinking that might be part of it, but you are talking about a long month (December) with a departed China date of 28th, so that is 13 days so far, of which, the 31st and 1st are holiday, so that leaves 7 business days so far. Hummm. That is even bad by USPS standards!
eek.gif
Hang in there! If it takes much longer, we'll start an arrival pool, winner gets something free.
biggrin.gif

Yeh there pretty useless parcel force. I don't mind the slow delay so much i just like to know where it is and that is is on the way. Makes me relax a bit. Ah well, it's just a waiting game for me!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #726 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sushicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"CN" is 0 to 70 °C , "IN" is -40 to +85 °C

Please someone compare the LT1364 to the LT1469 in the Zero, so I can spare it to myself
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #729 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas_D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a new DAC /AMP for my pc based audio system, and I have just dicovered Zero. First time I have looked at iBasso D1, but now Zeroo is atractive too. How do you think about comparation Zero - iBasso D1 ? (DAC and Amp quality)

I am also interested in this to.

Looking to be using my Livewires with it,

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #730 of 9,388
The little Zero is settling into her new home just nicely.
She's made firm friends with Tascam and Firestone and she's got the 'phone choir singing her praises at every opportunity.

Damn fine purchase all in all.
I'm quite happy indeed.
It definitely seems to offer more separation than the Entech it replaced in my stack. There's more extension to the highs and the lows are so far tight and round.

The latest Soulwax is shaking the house!
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #731 of 9,388
Quote:

I'm sorry, I completely missed your post! Duh on me!
biggrin.gif

I don't know of any direct comparisons yet, but the general belief so far is that the Zero has better components and better circuitry (because it is a desktop unit) in both the pre-amp and headphone amp sections. Just looking at the power available between the two kinda tells a story in itself. Hope this helps you some!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #732 of 9,388
I hope I will be a proud Zero user...I bought my one yesterday
biggrin.gif

In the first instance I want to be impressed by DAC, I don't have a great one now, so that's the main demand from Zero. I also have a few questions about the headphone amp:
-Can it drive well headphones with 250ohm impedance? I'm thinking about DT880, K701...
-Which would be a good opamp to swap the stock ones? opa627?

For a while it will remain stock, but I also would like to roll the DAC opamp with OPA 627 due to Lawrence recommendation:

"I highly recommended to use OPA 267.

Burr Brown OPA 627 BP(single, ceramic) on Browndog adaptor
Price: US$28 each (Total US$56 for 2 singles) Browndog adaptor $5 Total: $61
Comment: Two words sum this chip up........ "absolute class" This is single chip and it was necessary to fit two single channel 627's onto a single to dual Browndog adaptor which Adapts two single-channel DIP-8 op-amps to a dual DIP-8 pinout. These 2 single channel op amps absolutely trounced anything that had gone before them ..... the width of the soundstage, the clarity and the sheer presence make this my choice of op amp for use in the Chiarra without a shadow of a doubt. The sound is just so "clean", so "natural", so "musical" and so "detailed" with the 627's on board. The Burr Brown 627 "is" headphone heaven....... absolute class act."
*quoted from an email sent to me

I saw even in your review that you were pleased with OPA627.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #733 of 9,388
Quote:

I hope I will be a proud Zero user...I bought my one yesterday
biggrin.gif

In the first instance I want to be impressed by DAC, I don't have a great one now, so that's the main demand from Zero. I also have a few questions about the headphone amp:
-Can it drive well headphones with 250ohm impedance? I'm thinking about DT880, K701...
-Which would be a good opamp to swap the stock ones? opa627?

For a while it will remain stock, but I also would like to roll the DAC opamp with OPA 627 due to Lawrence recommendation:

"I highly recommended to use OPA 267.

Burr Brown OPA 627 BP(single, ceramic) on Browndog adaptor
Price: US$28 each (Total US$56 for 2 singles) Browndog adaptor $5 Total: $61
Comment: Two words sum this chip up........ "absolute class" This is single chip and it was necessary to fit two single channel 627's onto a single to dual Browndog adaptor which Adapts two single-channel DIP-8 op-amps to a dual DIP-8 pinout. These 2 single channel op amps absolutely trounced anything that had gone before them ..... the width of the soundstage, the clarity and the sheer presence make this my choice of op amp for use in the Chiarra without a shadow of a doubt. The sound is just so "clean", so "natural", so "musical" and so "detailed" with the 627's on board. The Burr Brown 627 "is" headphone heaven....... absolute class act."
*quoted from an email sent to me

I saw even in your review that you were pleased with OPA627.

First, Congratulations! You are going to love it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it drives my HD-650s (300ohm) easily. Advertised to 600ohms.
Yes, I like the OPA627 for the DAC out to an amp. I wasn't as impressed with what it does to the headphone amp. But, that may be due to my HD-650s and no other reason. I just received my shipment from Linear Tech today, so I'll be trying out Opamps in the headphone board, to compensate. I have 4 different pairs to try, so I'll try to post my findings maybe Sunday night.
Have a good one!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back