Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 8, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #676 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. And indeed the OPA627 should be a great one for the DAC. Hard to do better. We'll see.
redface.gif

Still curious about the DY2000 too. Will my two samples ever arrive...

Could you shoot me a link to the DY2000? I'm beyond curious now, so I probably should take a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #677 of 9,388
You know, this ZERO box is indeed a great value, but if it had a built-in USB port, it would be perfect and simpler to use/connect
biggrin.gif

Will

(still investigating an external USB adapter to use with the ZERO!)

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #678 of 9,388
Hi
Sorry I don't know much about the OPA...
Is it difficult to install it? Do I have to weld it?
Are you buying directly from lawrence when you order the DAC?
Do you know which one will work great with my MS2?
Thank you

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #679 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh sure/sorry should have said.. got the number via saynoto0870.com (good one to remember/bookmark if you don't know it
smily_headphones1.gif
) - the one that did the trick for me was 0191 512 7003

It's the direct-dial/non-premium-rate equivalent of 08708 501 150 listed on the site among others (head office/various specific depots/general numbers etc) as "Parcelforce (worldwide)" and "This is customer services for missing parcels, collections, etc." - seemed like the best one to go for and apparently did the trick (for what it's worth?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Well i tried ringing parcel force and they said the exact same thing to me. Its being held up and the last day they have of tracking is on the 28th December when it left Honk Kong. Thats great that is! No one kno0ws where it is. The woman thinks it will be held up somewhere in the UK in a warehouse or something. Bloody great!
mad.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #680 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, this ZERO box is indeed a great value, but if it had a built-in USB port, it would be perfect and simpler to use/connect
biggrin.gif

Will

(still investigating an external USB adapter to use with the ZERO!)

Ya, I hear ya!
smily_headphones1.gif
I imagine that if USB gets as popular outside of HeadFi as it is inside, then you'll see more of it on units like the Zero.

I saw that DIYkits.com has a new little box called the "New Pc-LinK II". Can't seem to find a price, but it might be worth checking out. Looks cool!
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #681 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zero has just arrived. The package looks good. It's pretty heavy. $179 well spent.
biggrin.gif

Congratulations! Now starts the fun!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #683 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsukasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
Sorry I don't know much about the OPA...
Is it difficult to install it? Do I have to weld it?
Are you buying directly from lawrence when you order the DAC?
Do you know which one will work great with my MS2?
Thank you

Do you mean solder it? No they are on sockets. You can get Lawrence to change it for you and send you the upgraded op amp already in the dac. Thats what i did. Yeh buy it directly from Lawrence.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #684 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, I hear ya!
smily_headphones1.gif
I imagine that if USB gets as popular outside of HeadFi as it is inside, then you'll see more of it on units like the Zero.

I saw that DIYkits.com has a new little box called the "New Pc-LinK II". Can't seem to find a price, but it might be worth checking out. Looks cool!
wink.gif

Whats the difference with the usb as opposed to the optical or coax? Is it just another means of being able to plug it in or is the sound quality much better?

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #686 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the difference with the usb as opposed to the optical or coax? Is it just another means of being able to plug it in or is the sound quality much better?

Most of the USB/SPDIF adapters act as the sound card, they then convert the audio signal into SPDIF optical and you would hook this to your DAC.
Some, are built in to portable DAC units, so there is one less connection and unit. USB is very popular here. It is convenient for notebook owners.

The way I see it, USB has it's place in some applications. Home based units are another story though. Units like the Zero make hook up easy and USB would be more of a convenience. Ya never know though. The USB standard is going to change again soon, so we'll see how the new USB gets adapted for audio use.
biggrin.gif
Some say USB is better because there is no "Jitter", but no one seems to have ever heard jitter with optical connections and it seems to be a "non-issue" that many are concerned about.
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #687 of 9,388
i would like to add alittle bit to that, if unrelated.

I had both optical and coaxle hooked to my computer at once through the zero. Switched between the two, absolutely no difference. Hell, not even a static sound when I pressed the button.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #688 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsukasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I did mean solder, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Which one do you advise me to get from lawrance? I have a MS-1 and MS-2.

I got the opa 627 on a browndog adaptor for the dac section. The op amps in the headphone section are standard ones that it comes with. The best person to talk to is 'shopper' or 'penchum'. my knowledge of op amps is limited plus i haven't actually heard how mine sounds yet as it hasn't arrived so i can't really comment. 'Penchum' has the dac and so does 'shopper', they will be able to advise on how it sounds. Ill let you know what i think when mine eventually arrives.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #689 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had both optical and coaxle hooked to my computer at once through the zero. Switched between the two, absolutely no difference. Hell, not even a static sound when I pressed the button.

Yeh im going to be using optical out of my mac so hopefully it should sound fine. I also want to try bypassing my cd player dac in to the zero and see how that sounds. I'll try both the coax and optical for this.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #690 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes indeed! That is the IC controlled switching, making the switching mute and safe! I love it!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back