Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #556 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LT1057 + DY2000 feels very yummy.
cool.gif

If for some reason I shouldn't be convinced by it, I could always keep the DY2000s in the amp and roll the LT1364 and LT1469 and AD797s and OPA211s in the DAC.

You know that when you have the Zero and all these Opamps sitting on the table and you are trying to figure out where to start... The burn-in issue is going to make you change your mind, right? It seems that if you didn't give the Zero the time it needs, you'll be 1/2 of the way through swapping out your stash of Opamps and the Zero will mature before your eyes and you'll have to start all over again, to be sure your first impressions still hold. ???

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #557 of 9,388
Ok, I just wanted to post something that I noticed tonight with the Zero and my new Gilmore Lite.

First, I have the optical out to the GL with the phono/preamp button on the Zero depressed to reflect preamp setting (line out? to GL - green phone light is off). Everything is fine.

If I plug phones into the Zero without switching the phone/preamp button (preamp mode - green phone light off) and turn up the volume to max on the Zero, I can hear the music faintly.

If I leave the phones plugged into the GL and press the phone/preamp button on the Zero (phono mode - green light is on), I still get volume in the GL and can control it via the Zero. Volume output with the Zero seems normal.

It seems that the Zero is controlling the GL's volume when the phones are connected to the GL and the ZERO is in phono mode (green light on), i.e. the Zero is controlling the volume level of the RCA outs which I thought were NOT controlled by the volume control on the Zero.

So is that what we thought it should do? Can anyone else verify what I am experiencing? Thoughts?

So, when I am using my GL, I will be leaving the Zero volume turned down completely to nil.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #559 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by edguetzow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I just wanted to post something that I noticed tonight with the Zero and my new Gilmore Lite.

First, I have the optical out to the GL with the phono/preamp button on the Zero depressed to reflect preamp setting (line out? to GL - green phone light is off). Everything is fine.

If I plug phones into the Zero without switching the phone/preamp button (preamp mode - green phone light off) and turn up the volume to max on the Zero, I can hear the music faintly.

If I leave the phones plugged into the GL and press the phone/preamp button on the Zero (phono mode - green light is on), I still get volume in the GL and can control it via the Zero. Volume output with the Zero seems normal.

It seems that the Zero is controlling the GL's volume when the phones are connected to the GL and the ZERO is in phono mode (green light on), i.e. the Zero is controlling the volume level of the RCA outs which I thought were NOT controlled by the volume control on the Zero.

So is that what we thought it should do? Can anyone else verify what I am experiencing? Thoughts?

So, when I am using my GL, I will be leaving the Zero volume turned down completely to nil.

Ok, what you are hearing is a very small amount of cross talk at extreme (Zero's) headphone amplification. I just duplicated what you said and you have to turn things up way past safe to even begin hearing it. No worries. When I have my Zero outputting to my MKV, I always leave the Zero's headphone amp volume knob on Zero! Force of habit I guess, but still a best practice.
biggrin.gif
The RCA outs on the Zero are at a set level for your GL.
Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #560 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When 'Phone' is turned off, I can also hear faintly through my headphones. Once the volume knob is below 25% I cant hear anything.

Is that like above 25% of the knob travel? Mine is amplifying its little rear off at those levels (above 25%). When you select Phones/Preamp, there is no off. What happens is the signal goes to the RCA jacks in the back when the light is off, so you are picking up cross talk just like me, only in reverse. I just checked mine again, and I have to have the headphone amp volume knob higher than 11:00. That is a lot of amplification. Its really a "non" issue if you remember to turn the volume knob down before disconnecting, or connecting your phones. See ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #561 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thats great! I imagine (based on your handle) you might break out some drinkin stuff to have a good first listening session?
biggrin.gif
Let us know how it goes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well tonight was first moment I've had to myself since I got back from my Christmas vacation, and the first chance to hear the Zero. But rather than cracking a cold one and rushing to begin the trials, I wanted to take the opportunity to do something special. A small shot to relax, a comfy seat, and my collection Oscar Peterson playing low. I sat and enjoyed my quiet moment for around an hour, which to me is a long time.

I eventually got around to putting the Zero through it's early paces. Clear and powerful sound, and generally pleasing is about all I can say for the time being. I'll post something more comprehensive after I log some hours with it.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #562 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by smirnoff04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well tonight was first moment I've had to myself since I got back from my Christmas vacation, and the first chance to hear the Zero. But rather than cracking a cold one and rushing to begin the trials, I wanted to take the opportunity to do something special. A small shot to relax, a comfy seat, and my collection Oscar Peterson playing low. I sat and enjoyed my quiet moment for around an hour, which to me is a long time.

I eventually got around to putting the Zero through it's early paces. Clear and powerful sound, and generally pleasing is about all I can say for the time being. I'll post something more comprehensive after I log some hours with it.

It sure is great to take time to relax and be comfy. They seem to happen less and less by default.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #564 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by derstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, i'm getting the BB OPA2604 to try, it a dual, does that means plug and play without the need of the adaptor?

Yes, but, your Zero already comes with the OPA2604.
smily_headphones1.gif
That is the default Opamp in the Zero. Can you change your order or something?

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #565 of 9,388
Hi all,

I reply to Dave great review just to give my experience with the Zero DAC, so good indeed!

I bought my Zero DAC in September from eBay, much before any review and feedback on this unit had appeared on the Web... was really a purchase on my own risk! BTW I asked the vendor to replace from factory the default OPA2604 with more performant 2xOPA627 on Brown Dog Adaptor.
I received the DAC after 4 weeks (I'm from Italy, unfortunately it takes time and money for imported products to pass the custom...) but my complaining stopped when I plugged the DAC and started listening to it...

Since after few hours of burn-in, my first impressions were so good both as a DAC itself and as preamp/headphone amp. The sound open, detailed, punching but without harshness as other budget digital sources can provide.
At that time I was coming from a bad experience with another cheap DAC, the Beresford 7510, what a disappointment! The Zero DAC was completely another world, first of all a great design and high grade components for the money, then an open and solid sound (more width and depth) without any hint of noise or harshness.

After few months together with this little gem, my impressions are still so good. In fact I'm using the Zero DAC with a Marantz CD 6000 OSE LE and a DVD Yamaha, in combination with a Digital class-T amp (AudioDigit T-100) and Dynaudio Audience 60 speakers. As phone, I'm using a pair of Sessheiser HD555.

As a DAC itself, comparing the Zero DAC with the internal DAC of the Marantz CD6000 OSE, I see they have different personalities. The Marantz is more crispy and more "in front" sound, while the Zero DAC is more relaxed and "analogic", but without losing much in details. After few months, I must admit I prefer the Zero DAC, more relax and charm, expecially with classical music and jazz!
With the pre-amp stage on, I see the sound is not impacted, I mean either in bad or in good. As headphone, it provides power, control and soundstage to my Sessheiser without any hint of noise, but I cannot make any significant review here (I don't have any dedicated headamp to compare with).

Anyway, I was wandering why nobody had reviewed the Zero DAC yet; now thanks to Dave (that BTW I contacted Dave just 2 months ago to share my enthusiastic impressions on the DAC, Dave do you rimember?) this little gem has been given its deserved opportunity for fame!

Fabrizio Boggio
Italy

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #567 of 9,388
Ok, so I just pushed the button and bought an just burnt-in Ontech Monster DAC. Its a DAC from a small company in Denmark.

I got the Ontech DAC for a very reasonable price, and probably I cant get it to sound to its fullest potential with my system, but its gonna be fun to hear differences between the Zero and this dac.

I will try to give some impressions when I have got them both up and running a while...

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #568 of 9,388
Quote:

Swapping opamps and listening to the differences takes little time...during which the burn in progress will hardly have any effect on the perceived differences between opamps. I believe.
smily_headphones1.gif

"Burn in" is a nice thing - simply as it is a gradual change for the better; but it doesn't have to become some sort of ritual (unless for forum purposes
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'd rather forget about it (as much as possible) and enjoy music right away.

Believe me, that is my "default" as well. However, some of the Opamps you are swapping seem to be very close to each other. I just didn't want your efforts (which are very much appreciated) to get tripped up.
biggrin.gif
Swap on!
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #569 of 9,388
Quote:

I'm really goint nuts in trying to determine which one among the dual LTs, 1057, 1364, 1361, 1469 I would like best. The thing is that I'd want to go "à coup sûr" with the best.
redface.gif

The LT1057 would have a full midbass and very natural mids - like the LT136x anyway. The difference might be that the LT1057 is FET whereas all the other three are bipolar. So maybe the LT1057 is a little different - one more reason to try it for first.

Since the LT1057 has really low supply current, it might benefit by some class-A biasing.

From what little testing I have done, I'd say that you want the most dynamic of the group in the mainboard (improves the DAC out), then possibly the fastest with most detail (combines mainboard dynamic with detail and speed)in the headphone amp. Does that make sense?
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #570 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fboggio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now thanks to Dave (that BTW I contacted Dave just 2 months ago to share my enthusiastic impressions on the DAC, Dave do you rimember?) this little gem has been given its deserved opportunity for fame!

Fabrizio Boggio
Italy

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also like to thank Penchum as well.

Thanks for the review, without it, iI would've missed out on this great amp/dac!

redface.gif
Thank you very much. Yes, I do remember, isn't that funny!
biggrin.gif
Back then, I just had a good feeling about this little Zero and I'm glad it has worked out for so many people.
redface.gif
Soon, the Opamp "best case scenario" will be worked out and those who have the Zero will be able to purchase the Opamps and turn our little gem into a giant killer!
biggrin.gif
Thanks to Shopper and several others who are helping with the forest of Opamps to discover!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back