Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #541 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the Brown Dog that allows for use of two soic opamps, one on top and one on the under side of the board. It takes up no more room than a standard single adapter.

Has anyone tried the AD744?

3rd adapter on right

Audio Upgrade Adapters

the only thing I don't like about Brown Dog's is that their traces are so thin

Now if we could find one like that only socketed!
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #542 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny you should mention that. I was just thinking about swapping back to see how my perception is. Right now, I'm doing this: X-Fi optical to Zero, Zero to new MKV with HD-650s. Sounds great! But, swapping back would give me a "reality" check.
biggrin.gif

Well, I think I don't have enough hours on the AD797s yet. I'm going to swap back this evening and run 'em for a couple of days.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #543 of 9,388
I just noticed I have some 744's and a 746. I don't have a Zero but I will have to try the 746 in the P2. It will give me any idea of the sound.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #544 of 9,388
Happy New Year Ya'll.

My first post here from Canada =)

Just picked up the Zero from Lawrence. And is dead after several critical listening/comparison against with my Northstar M192 DAC and YBA Audio Refinement Alpha CDP. But at least it did a very good comparison with my Northstar, which is one of the best DAC out there (especially in reproducing lifelike instrutment music - violin sounds like violin...etc). i give it 80% sound to the Northstar and closer to 90% with the YBA. Is certain a killing upgrade for any mid priced player, in my case - Sony DVP3000 and Sony DVP7700.

Anyway, I used it as dac + preamp to drive my tube power amps for several times, and music suddenly it become silent slowly. (anyone know what is dieing?)

Meanwhile sending off to local tech, would like to also upgrades the opamp you guys been talking about. My taste would be realistic music reproduction. I can give up bass or absolute quiet noisefloor. Burrbrown has been described with a wall between the ears and music. So should i look at AD? as my beloved Northstars is using AD opamps. It sounded best anything i heard with BurrBrown except BB has more killing dynamics and speed over the Northstar, but Northstar still sounded more real.

Thanks in advance for any input... i really liked the Zero DAC, espcially Lawrence gave me a hint that after upgrade, it might sound even better than my class a Northstar DAC... which i wanted to find out
rolleyes.gif

P.S absolutely stunning photos Jamato (san?)
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #545 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uuhg. Not only can I not connect it to my TV without the delay problem, but I can connect it to my xbox without repetitive crackling sounds.

The only thing that it works flawlessly with is my computer. Which is where I'll use it the most, but this sure cuts back the versatility of it for me... meh

Let me get this straight: How are you connecting what to where?
I believe that you connect your PC to the Zero with Optical and then connect the Coax to either TV or Xbox?
That can not work, as the Zero only has two Inputs but not a digital Output.

Or have I missed something here?

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #546 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this straight: How are you connecting what to where?
I believe that you connect your PC to the Zero with Optical and then connect the Coax to either TV or Xbox?
That can not work, as the Zero only has two Inputs but not a digital Output.

Or have I missed something here?

Digital Coaxle in > PC (my PC has both optical AND coaxle)
Digital Optical in > TV

No outs. You are correct.

Good news guys. The problem with the xbox was just a setting I needed to change in the dashboard. So as I suspected the delay issue was with the TV, not the zero. I can live with it, cause I mainly wanted to use the zero with my xbox and PC. Odd, I guess the optical section of the TV didnt get much thought.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #547 of 9,388
Would this Zero be an upgrade in any way over modded Xfi + Headfive for MS2i/DT880/DT990?

I've read that AD8397 is a good opamp for alessandro headphones, so I might want to test that one. Which op-amp would pair best with it, and would it be best to have it in the dac or in the amp?

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #548 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep i had a quick look, thanks. It just says the same information as the hong kong site. I guess it's just a bit early to tell and probably hasn't got very far yet.

Cheers.

Yeah same here

27-12-2007 21:21 Delivery Agent - HONG KONG - PTT Left origin country

...all there is since the 27th
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #550 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digital Coaxle in > PC (my PC has both optical AND coaxle)
Digital Optical in > TV

No outs. You are correct.

Good news guys. The problem with the xbox was just a setting I needed to change in the dashboard. So as I suspected the delay issue was with the TV, not the zero. I can live with it, cause I mainly wanted to use the zero with my xbox and PC. Odd, I guess the optical section of the TV didnt get much thought.

JonM, Thats great! A side thought. If your TV is newer, some manufacturers have updates you can download and push to the TV. Could yours be one of them? Later..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #551 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linear techonolgy LT1057(dual, ceramic)
Price: US$20,
Comment: Without a shadow of a doubt this op amp is the star of the the centry. Easy to listen to, easy to pick out every last detail and ever so natural. There was an ethereal quality to the sound that only ever heard on high quality loudspeaker based systems. It's hard to put what this op amp does into words but listening to the sound with it on board is as close to headphone heaven. Very analytical.

So I've determined that LT1057 (DAC) + LT1361 (amp) will be my first upgrade attempt. If I feel completely satisfied I might just stop there.
rolleyes.gif

Ow Beans!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #552 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah same here

27-12-2007 21:21 Delivery Agent - HONG KONG - PTT Left origin country

...all there is since the 27th
frown.gif

Both of you guys will probably get a knock at the door before you have any real status! This is usually what happens here too.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #553 of 9,388
Well, Zero #2 is about 40 hours into burn-in, and already it is sounding better. I'm sticking to the default Opamps until I have 100hrs on it. Hopefully, my LT1364's will arrive before then. My original hope was to put AD797s on adapter in the DAC and LT1364s in the headphone amp. This still may work out. Gotta order another replacement knob!! This guitar amp one is driving me nuts!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #554 of 9,388
Woot. The Zero arrived today. I can't wait to get this thing home. I'll try and post my early impressions of it, though I don't know how valuable they'd be since I've got so little to compare to.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #555 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by smirnoff04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot. The Zero arrived today. I can't wait to get this thing home. I'll try and post my early impressions of it, though I don't know how valuable they'd be since I've got so little to compare to.

Hey, thats great! I imagine (based on your handle) you might break out some drinkin stuff to have a good first listening session?
biggrin.gif
Let us know how it goes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back