Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #526 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have a clue?

Also, to remedy this problem I must shut off both the console and dac, although it doesn't take long for it to come back. I have a feeling its my tv's -hit connections. As I have no problem like this on my computer.

From what you have discribed, I'd have to agree with you. Sorry, I just can't think of a cure.
redface.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #527 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the AD797? Are you stil preferring it to the OPA627? And which does better in tonality/timbre?

It's funny you should mention that. I was just thinking about swapping back to see how my perception is. Right now, I'm doing this: X-Fi optical to Zero, Zero to new MKV with HD-650s. Sounds great! But, swapping back would give me a "reality" check.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #528 of 9,388
Have just placed an order for an Zero, and are going to use the combined shipping and get some upgraded opamps.
My initial idea was to buy opa627, but given the calculation 1 module of 627 is $61. So If you want to change all 3pcs , it is $183.

So.. My new "idea" is to order two modules of 627 for the head-amp section, and a AD797 for my DAC section..

Will that work well?

It's primary use will be as an DAC - AMP combo for my computer with a pair of AKG701.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #529 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have just placed an order for an Zero, and are going to use the combined shipping and get some upgraded opamps.
My initial idea was to buy opa627, but given the calculation 1 module of 627 is $61. So If you want to change all 3pcs , it is $183.

So.. My new "idea" is to order two modules of 627 for the head-amp section, and a AD797 for my DAC section..

Will that work well?

It's primary use will be as an DAC - AMP combo for my computer with a pair of AKG701.

I wish the OPA627s on the adapter would work in the headphone amp, but there isn't enough room. The sockets are too close to other stuff. Trying the AD797s on the mainboard is good! You just need to find two dual Opamps for the headphone board. Shopper has some pretty good ideas. LT1364 is what I'm going to try in the headphone board.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #531 of 9,388
Just get the Brown Dog that allows for use of two soic opamps, one on top and one on the under side of the board. It takes up no more room than a standard single adapter.

Has anyone tried the AD744?

3rd adapter on right

Audio Upgrade Adapters

the only thing I don't like about Brown Dog's is that their traces are so thin

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #532 of 9,388
Jan 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #533 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the Brown Dog that allows for use of two soic opamps, one on top and one on the under side of the board. It takes up no more room than a standard single adapter.

Has anyone tried the AD744?

Share please, where can we get this adapter? I don't think anyone has tried the AD744.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #534 of 9,388
Really? I thought I had missed it some where. No one has tried it? It has been around for some time and is a opamp I have used for years.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #535 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Share please, where can we get this adapter? I don't think anyone has tried the AD744.
biggrin.gif

I posted the link to the adapter in my response.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #536 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted the link to the adapter in my response.

Thanks! Half blind today.
biggrin.gif
It is possible that Shopper has tried that Opamp but not in the Zero (I think).

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #537 of 9,388
uuhg. Not only can I not connect it to my TV without the delay problem, but I can connect it to my xbox without repetitive crackling sounds.

The only thing that it works flawlessly with is my computer. Which is where I'll use it the most, but this sure cuts back the versatility of it for me... meh

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #538 of 9,388
well i don't have the energy to read 67 pages..so please help(=.

1.is it on the same level as the Pico?i know it's not portable and all...but SQ wise.
2.is it any good with K701?does the amp has enough juice?

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #539 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uuhg. Not only can I not connect it to my TV without the delay problem, but I can connect it to my xbox without repetitive crackling sounds.

The only thing that it works flawlessly with is my computer. Which is where I'll use it the most, but this sure cuts back the versatility of it for me... meh

Thats too bad. I thought the Xbox wouldn't have such trouble. Hum. Hopefully, someone will chime in with an idea or two.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #540 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i don't have the energy to read 67 pages..so please help(=.

1.is it on the same level as the Pico?i know it's not portable and all...but SQ wise.
2.is it any good with K701?does the amp has enough juice?

Well, I can't speak to the Pico, I've never had one. I can tell you the sound quality stock is very, very good. Even better with Opamp changes after it is burned-in. I'm driving my Senn HD-650s with it, so I'm sure the K701s would not be a problem at all. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back